Television for very young children

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Television for very young children

Postby dimension » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 am

Hi all
not sure if this is the right place but here goes

I'm one of those mums who prefer my kids to not watch tv when young. I was on leave til my kid about 8 months old, and didn't expose her to tv. But its a different story once my ILs take over.

I'm trying not to be one of those over-obsess mums who insist their kids be TV free (especially since its quite out of my hands) but i'm wondering whats your take on this? did you allow ur kids to watch tv? if yes, from what age?

most impt, what are some appropriate programs for toddlers?

thanks

dimension
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

On Free-to-Air TV, nothing.

Same here. We did not let our DS watch TV but it started when MIL took over. MIL needed her daily drama dose, so DS started watching TV commercials.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Everything in moderation. More importantly is to expose but do not develop interest in TV. How to do that? Develop other interest then time in front of TV becomes limited if the other interests are beckoning.

Postby mummy of 2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 pm

tankee wrote: We did not let our DS watch TV but it started when MIL took over. MIL needed her daily drama dose, so DS started watching TV commercials.

Seems like this is a common theme - it all starts with MIL. Mine too. They would watch the Taiwanese drame serial on Channel 8 if they woke up early from nap. The might also watch whatever was showing on Channel 8, if I'm not home to provide alternatives.

In the morning they do watch cartoon (non-violent only) on Okto channel on weekdays. At night they watch 20-30 minutes of DVD/VCD from my approved list.

I tried very hard to have "no-TV" when the kids were less than 1 year old. They do enjoy other activities but will be glued once the TV is swtiched on. So I have to control the viewing, esp when it's adult content, like Channel 8 :!: .

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimension » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:23 pm

ya my ILs also watch channel 8 series; sometimes got like almost rape scene kind, i find it very disturbing to let my girl see, even tho they insist she don't understand

my girl does enjoy other activity like reading and toys too, but she has started to become more active in tv-watching eg taking remote control to give my FIL to on the tv, and refusing to let us off the tv! (she's only 18months!) i don't want this to get worse (as she gains more independance) but have no idea how to prevent it. any advice?

dimension
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy of 2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

dimension wrote:ya my ILs also watch channel 8 series; sometimes got like almost rape scene kind, i find it very disturbing to let my girl see, even tho they insist she don't understand

my girl does enjoy other activity like reading and toys too, but she has started to become more active in tv-watching eg taking remote control to give my FIL to on the tv, and refusing to let us off the tv! (she's only 18months!) i don't want this to get worse (as she gains more independance) but have no idea how to prevent it. any advice?

I agree that the plot (rape, fighting), scences, and dialogue (swear words) are totally NOT what I want my kids to be exposed to. As I can't force my ILs not to watch TV (afterall they need a break too), I have to make sure the kids are occupied with other activities during that time. It helps that my Ils watch TV in their room, so I make sure the kids are either in the living room or my room.

As for the kids switching on the TV by themselves, they have to learn that it is not acceptable. My kids will switch the TV off when the time limit is up.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Okie, for me, I don't let my 2+ yr old DS watch TV except for Barney or Thomas after his lunch/dinner. And that too not everyday. So there are days when he does not watch tv at all. Sometimes I let him watch the Sing to Learn DVD etc.. No matter how busy I am, I won't plonk him down in front of the tv. I preoccupy him with puzzles etc ...

My DS likes the Jim Jam channel.

It is fortunate that my ILs are not the watching tv sort. My MIL likes to read to him or teach him general knowledge. My FIL will let him help him in his gardening activities.

But .... a bit :offtopic: they are not discerning when it comes to giving him sweet things or junk food like potato chips :cry: :cry: :cry:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Television for very young children

Postby tamarind » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 pm

dimension wrote:Hi all
not sure if this is the right place but here goes

I'm one of those mums who prefer my kids to not watch tv when young. I was on leave til my kid about 8 months old, and didn't expose her to tv. But its a different story once my ILs take over.

I'm trying not to be one of those over-obsess mums who insist their kids be TV free (especially since its quite out of my hands) but i'm wondering whats your take on this? did you allow ur kids to watch tv? if yes, from what age?

most impt, what are some appropriate programs for toddlers?

thanks

My kids do not watch any TV, not even educational DVDs, below the age of 2.

After the age of 2, they only watch the Leapfrog DVDs and the Richard Scarry counting video. These are the only DVDs that kids need to watch.

One suggestion is to put an LCD TV in the grandparents' room, so they can watch inside. If you have a maid taking care of your child, they can stay outside in the living room.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

My choice: No TV & DVD to at least 3 Years Old

Postby MieVee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

I have read various articles and the American Academy of Pediatricians advises "No TV under 2". Recently, at Shichida's Parent Education Class, the speaker (Principal, Mrs Jocelyn Khoo) mentioned "No TV under 3". Even my friend who works for an international TV documentary channel supports "No TV under 2".

My main reasons for "No TV under 3":
- high risk of myopia
- young children cannot differentiate between virtuality & reality, I don't want my child(ren) to be confused
- young children absorb through all their senses easily, so having a TV switched on in the background gets messages into their minds

My actions at home:
- my husband and I don't watch TV with my boy around. If need to (e.g. hubby catches football highlights while I'm washing dishes), volume is turned very low, child blocked from screen, timing kept to bare minimum.
- communicated our preference to the whole family, so no one looks after boy and watch TV at the same time (My mum would record her favourite shows to watch when my boy is asleep.)
- not buying any DVD for children (http://education-portal.com/articles/Baby_Einstein_Recall_Refunds_Offered_on_Educational_DVDs.html)
- engaging my child with many home learning activities such as craft work, singing, reading, free play (there is no time left for TV)

My 14-month old boy's developments:
- speaks more than 30 words (include Mandarin phrases with 2 words)
- uses more than 30 hand signs
- recognizes some colours and shapes
- loves dancing to music, starts singing a few words with familiar songs
- walks well
- happy, sociable and plays well with other children
(Last month's growth update: http://www.mummysreviews.com/2010/03/20 ... onths-old/)

I think he is doing well without TV / DVD, and we'll continue that way for some time. (By the way, I have loved watching TV since about Primary School days and find life fulfilling even without watching TV after having my boy.) Look forward to your sharing too. :)

MieVee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 am

Watching tv is a minefield. I'm at work so it's easy for me to say no tv for my kids - but the caregiver at home might not be able to live without tv (esp if it's an ingrained habit). Also, for SAHM, I understand that having kids watch show is a good distraction so the mummies can concentrate on housework for that window of time.

One classmate of DS1 when he was in playgroup (about 20mths old) is very prone to violence and using his fists and feet. Apparently, his grandpa is a fan of gongfu flicks. So don't say kids don't know - they are absorbing way faster than adults think.

DH and I used to be deadset against disney channel for kids. But now, we both agree that Okto is far worse - the unrelenting commercials telling kids to buy buy buy, the 'violent' shows where there's so much bamming and whamming and zapping. At least Playhouse disney doesn't have commercials on the latest toys and what nots. Now I rather pay to let him watch that channel, than having free-to-air channels that cost me even more when we go to shopping centers.

Some shows that I think kids should actually watch - leappad frog dvd collection (letter factory, etc), little einsteins are ok (introduces classical and artistic masterpieces). Dora/barney/elmo ok also. All these are available from the library. The Word Machine is also catchy and fun - introduces kids to phonics with funny songs and such (this one got to buy, haven't seen in library yet).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Health