All About Flu and Cough

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

All About Flu and Cough

Postby super_dad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 am

My girl tends to get cough easily....quite a problem when she is sleeping. Any age old grandmother remedies for this problem?

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Cough cough cough

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 pm

super_dad wrote:My girl tends to get cough easily....quite a problem when she is sleeping. Any age old grandmother remedies for this problem?

Seems like a common problem with most Singaporean kids these days. There are times my son can cough and cough non-stop throughout the night. I made him to swim on a daily basis for a couple of years and the problem went away.

The problem is caused by nasal and sinus fluids flowing down the throat when the person is lying down, thereby irritating the throat.

During his bouts of coughing, I've tried literally all kinds of things, from aroma therapy to air cleaners and ionizers. Aroma therapy works best simply because it creates a sleepy atmosphere that put him to sleep, even though eucalyptus is good for respiratory problems. Rubbing medicated oil on the chest also works.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:40 pm

When my kid get sick, most of the time it is caused by throat infection and it will get him coughing. It usually happens when there is a weather change. But I suppose the air quality alsoplay a part

phantom
Site Admin

Postby lovebearsallthings » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:30 pm

My boy has been coughing for like 4-5 months! But he's generally very healthy and cheerful, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him, except for the phlegm which makes him cough. I've tried western doctors, inhalers, chinese doctors, all of which do not work! I've also tried the $61 "Hou Ning" from EYS - nothing works.

My mom said that there is nothing wrong, so stop feeding the boy medicine, but I'm still worried. His lungs are still clear at the moment, but I'm also worried that the coughing will hurt his lungs.

I've also rubbed vaporiser on his chest, does not seem to work. Looks like I have to just let it be, as my mother says! :?

lovebearsallthings
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mintcc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:03 pm

wah so long? My boy cough alot too. For a long long time at one go. And the cough will stop for at most 2 weeks before he catch another strain somewhere. so far what works for him is :

1. Neubiliser
If I see my pd, he will put my boy on neubiliser for 3-4 days. And after that his cough will subside. (We Hate this though. Cause my boy will scream for the whole 10 minutes he is on it)

2. Antibiotics.
My family doctor will put him on this is he continue coughing for more than 2 weeks, together with med to help reduce the phlegm. (Of course we all know its not good to let children depend on antibiotics)

3. Drinking "chuan bei" cook with pear helps too but my boy dislike the taste and refuse to drink it.

After a few times of 1 2, his PD put him on a lung tonic, flu jabs and I started to give him Sambucol. His cough and cold stopped for almost 3 weeks before returning last week. One encouraging thing though, I give him double dose of sambucol and his cough subsided within 3 days. Not very sure if its becasue this time round the virus is not so strong or because of all the measures we have put in place. going to cross my fingers and see.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm

It's quite typical for young Singaporean children to have this "coughing" problem. Primarily due to air quality and lack of exercise. During our time, our parents don't pay money for us to go to kiddy gyms to train up our motor skills - we are just thrown outside to play marbles, catch spiders, disturb dogs, etc... just come home when it's time for dinner. We may be not be so nourished, but we were healthy and agile.

You should get your kid to do regular exercises that really make him sweat and build up his stamina - jogging, swimming, etc. It will help.

Also avoid giving him too much medicine, especially before he sleeps. Kid medicine tend to have high sugar content - it is bad for their milk teeth. Make sure he drinks lots of water or wash his mouth after he takes medicine to avoid tooth decay.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 am

Letting her sleep with 2 pillows (to elevate the head) seems to give some sort of relief. Guess, the thoart is less irritated in that position. :?

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 pm

There is this Chinese medicine known as the Niu Huang (it is a yellow powder) which you give your kid eat once when he is around 2 or 3 years old then the phlegm will disappear. Can check with the medicine hall. My neice, nephew, Kid all ate once and phlegm went away.

When I was a kid, I got the same problem, always coughing away with phlegms, then while I was 10, I took 1 portion and there goes my persistence cough.

So maybe you can try it out.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks...sounds interesting. But safe or not? All these china medicine...

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 pm

super_dad wrote:Thanks...sounds interesting. But safe or not? All these china medicine...

Well so far so good, I am still breathing :lol:

phantom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Health