Pass the butter, please...

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Pass the butter, please...

Postby Angelight » Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Someone emailed me this, thot I'd share it here...very thought-provoking.



Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.


Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .


And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.


And here's the most disturbing fact....

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT!

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 15


Postby tankee » Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Most margarines these days are made from unhardened canola oil or sunflower oil which are definitely much lower than butter in saturated fat. Of course we can also use coconut oil to make margarines which will definitely be of higher saturated fat than butter.

And margarine was not developed for fattening turkey. It meant to be a substitute for butter for use by the poor and armed forces. It became more popular during WWI when supply of butter was low.

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:07 pm

butter still tastes better
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby autumnbronze » Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Butter definitely - prefably President or Lurpak brand, and unsalted please.

Yes, I too read somewhere that eating margerine is akin to eating plastic.

I don't like artificial substitutes ... even for sugar. Everything must be taken in moderation though :D
Last edited by autumnbronze on Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11858
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Postby hquek » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Me like the star brand type. Cut into slices and put on bread. YUMMY! But it seems like butter is costing a lot more than it used to. Not sure when that (price increase) first started.

I used to take margarine - after finding out about the dangers of margarine, I think I rather risk heart attack than cancer.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70



Re: Pass the butter, please...

Postby Way2GO » Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Angelight wrote:Someone emailed me this, thot I'd share it here...very thought-provoking.
Margarine.... Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT!


This is an eRumour dat has been circulating around for years.
It contains both truth n fiction.
Take with a dollop of butter and a pinch of margarine! :lol:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm
Total Likes: 4


Re: Pass the butter, please...

Postby cnimed » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Way2GO wrote:This is an eRumour dat has been circulating around for years.
It contains both truth n fiction.
Take with a dollop of butter and a pinch of margarine! :lol:


hahahaha! Have you seen the erumour that says baby carrots are shaped from the bigger carrots and then soaked in preservatives before sale?? Wah lau, these people...buay tahan.

Ya lah, lurpak butter or olive oil with sea salt. Yummy!
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: Pass the butter, please...

Postby Blobbi » Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 am

deminc wrote:hahahaha! Have you seen the erumour that says baby carrots are shaped from the bigger carrots and then soaked in preservatives before sale?? Wah lau, these people...buay tahan.



You mean ... there ARE such a thing as baby carrots? :faint:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Guest » Fri May 07, 2010 7:44 am

hquek wrote:Me like the star brand type. Cut into slices and put on bread. YUMMY! But it seems like butter is costing a lot more than it used to. Not sure when that (price increase) first started.

I used to take margarine - after finding out about the dangers of margarine, I think I rather risk heart attack than cancer.


Same here, I go for the Star Brand too :celebrate: and yes, prices have shot up over the years. :cry: One 250g block used to cost about $2 - $3, now it is more than $4 a block, but do you know that you can still get 3 blocks for about $9 near festive seasons like Hari Raya, Deepavali and Christmas? :wink: I always stock up on these whenever there is such a promotion. :celebrate:
Guest
 

Re: Pass the butter, please...

Postby peterch » Fri May 07, 2010 7:46 am

Blobbi wrote:
deminc wrote:hahahaha! Have you seen the erumour that says baby carrots are shaped from the bigger carrots and then soaked in preservatives before sale?? Wah lau, these people...buay tahan.



You mean ... there ARE such a thing as baby carrots? :faint:


Here is your baby carrot :D

Image

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Health