All About Kids' Eye-sight

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
yzsee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by yzsee » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:29 am

Juzgirlz wrote:Hi david wife, thx for sharing. I saw a flyer about orthok after reading your post and went to find out more. The optometrist said that it is common to see children eyesight gets worse with atropine. He was very patient and spent almost an hour explaining to us how myopia keeps on increasing and compared all the different methods. My DD likes him a lot. Thinking if I should start my kids with orthok, he suggested that I should start with my DD because of her rapid increase. Her degree is now 975deg astig 425deg hai..So we decided to sign the package there, quite expensive ($3580 for first time fee) but he seemed really confident and my DD was really interested. Now we are waiting for the lenses..

Hi yzsee, do you buy directly from healthtrend website?

Thanks..
Hi Juzgirlz, I actually bought it from a website called chinchoonhealth.com, seems to be quite new but the customer support quite good.

Einstein tuition
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Einstein tuition » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 am

No doubt that it is a trend. just have to protect their eyes. i heard looking at green is very good for eyesight. Trees, grass, etc. and also ficus on objects far, also improves eye sight.

jjlow789
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jjlow789 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:41 pm

david wife wrote:You're welcomed Juzgirlz!! Press on.. There is always hope!!

Hi jjlow789, if you are going for extreme durability, get miraflex. It did not spoil even when it was thrown out of the window by my younger son. Durability 5 stars (best).
Tomato glasses is another alternative. The fit is good. Doesn't slip down the nose easily. Durability 3 stars.
If your daughter is very gentle, Swissflex is good. It is light and non-kiddy looking. Sadly, it is not very durable. Within 1 week after purchase, it was damaged by my son. Durability 2 stars.
Thanks a lot david wife. We bought Miraflex glasses. Indeed, it appears very durable.

My girl cries every time we try to do patching. I tried the pirate looking eye patch and the stick on eye patch (ortopad). Any tips on what I can do to make her more cooperative??

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by lag » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:01 pm

not sure if anyone is interested. I have a pair of miraflex for toddler. My boy was 18 months when wearing the miraflex. He only wear it for a couple of months before we opt for eye surgery. No glasses for him after that.

It is a pity to throw the miraflex away. Anyone wants it as a spare spec or what? I think it is possible to change the lenses.

Juzgirlz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Juzgirlz » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 am

My 16yrs old has now been on OrthoK for 3 weeks. Her degrees dropped from 975 astig 425 to now 0 and she does not need to wear glasses anymore after 1 week. At first I was worried about sleeping with lenses and infection, but my DD seemed to be very comfortable with the lenses, now she can even take care of everything on her own and the optometrist checks the lenses every time we see him.

My hubby and I are finally relieved that our daughter can finally go without her glasses. Whether stopping her degree or not, at least she can put aside her thick glasses and do her track&field freely.

Hi David wife, thank you for sharing your experience, I would not have taken up OrthoK if I did not see your post earlier!

Hi yzsee, we got Lutein from the supplement shop. Thank you!

ahber79
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ahber79 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 pm

david wife wrote:You're welcomed Juzgirlz!! Press on.. There is always hope!!

Hi jjlow789, if you are going for extreme durability, get miraflex. It did not spoil even when it was thrown out of the window by my younger son. Durability 5 stars (best).
Tomato glasses is another alternative. The fit is good. Doesn't slip down the nose easily. Durability 3 stars.
If your daughter is very gentle, Swissflex is good. It is light and non-kiddy looking. Sadly, it is not very durable. Within 1 week after purchase, it was damaged by my son. Durability 2 stars.
Hi david wife,

Where did you get the Tomato glasses? Went to a few optical shops but they do not stock Tomato glasses. Any good optical shops with wide range of children glasses to recommend?

Thanks!

twin2003
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by twin2003 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15 pm

Juzgirlz wrote:My 16yrs old has now been on OrthoK for 3 weeks. Her degrees dropped from 975 astig 425 to now 0 and she does not need to wear glasses anymore after 1 week. At first I was worried about sleeping with lenses and infection, but my DD seemed to be very comfortable with the lenses, now she can even take care of everything on her own and the optometrist checks the lenses every time we see him.

My hubby and I are finally relieved that our daughter can finally go without her glasses. Whether stopping her degree or not, at least she can put aside her thick glasses and do her track&field freely.

Hi David wife, thank you for sharing your experience, I would not have taken up OrthoK if I did not see your post earlier!

Hi,
could you share which Optometrist your girl is seeing for the OrthoK lens?

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kylene » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Hello, my DS was just diagnosed with myopia by optician . 50/75. They recommended glasses. Should I bring him to the ophthalmologist to confirm the degree or optician is good enough ? My DS is 8 and he says certain words on the board in school appears a little blur.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:33 pm

kylene wrote:Hello, my DS was just diagnosed with myopia by optician . 50/75. They recommended glasses. Should I bring him to the ophthalmologist to confirm the degree or optician is good enough ? My DS is 8 and he says certain words on the board in school appears a little blur.
Take your ds to opthalmologist who can monitor and prescribe 0.01% atropine eyedrop if eyesight increases too fast within a year. You can PM me if you need more advice.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Juzgirlz wrote:My 16yrs old has now been on OrthoK for 3 weeks. Her degrees dropped from 975 astig 425 to now 0 and she does not need to wear glasses anymore after 1 week. At first I was worried about sleeping with lenses and infection, but my DD seemed to be very comfortable with the lenses, now she can even take care of everything on her own and the optometrist checks the lenses every time we see him.

Health consideration:
Inflammations or infection of the anterior segment of the eye or the cornea
Disease, injury or abnormality affecting the cornea, conjunctiva or eyelid, or impacting contact lens wear
Very dry eyes or low eye moisture
Corneal hypoesthesia (low sensitivity)
Eye related allergies, including allergies to contact lens solutions

The perfect eyesight could be a temporary effect that last about 2 years, after that back to square one.