All About Kids' Eye-sight

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
Post Reply
NerdyMath
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Mar 08,
Total Likes:4

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by NerdyMath » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 pm

sembgal wrote: 2 hours of outdoor a day keeps myopia away.
I'm Sec 1 this year and my degree is 425 for both eyes. I have been exercising, playing basketball and badminton since P3 nearly every day and it is not improving but it keeps increasing.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Apr 28,
Total Likes:56

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by sembgal » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 pm

NerdyMath wrote:
sembgal wrote: 2 hours of outdoor a day keeps myopia away.
I'm Sec 1 this year and my degree is 425 for both eyes. I have been exercising, playing basketball and badminton since P3 nearly every day and it is not improving but it keeps increasing.
Are you seeing an ophthalmologist to monitor your eye condition? I advise your parents to take you for a consultation with one who can monitor your eye condition and put you on atropine eyedrop treatment. Cut down on iPad, computer games, television.

There is the latest eye laser treatment that I heard can insert lens into your eyes and it cost about $8k. Newest technology. It's very expensive but can consider investing in it in the future.

Juzgirlz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 02,

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by Juzgirlz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:44 am

twin2003 wrote:
Juzgirlz wrote:My 16yrs old has now been on OrthoK for 3 weeks. Her degrees dropped from 975 astig 425 to now 0 and she does not need to wear glasses anymore after 1 week. At first I was worried about sleeping with lenses and infection, but my DD seemed to be very comfortable with the lenses, now she can even take care of everything on her own and the optometrist checks the lenses every time we see him.

My hubby and I are finally relieved that our daughter can finally go without her glasses. Whether stopping her degree or not, at least she can put aside her thick glasses and do her track&field freely.

Hi David wife, thank you for sharing your experience, I would not have taken up OrthoK if I did not see your post earlier!

Hi yzsee, we got Lutein from the supplement shop. Thank you!
Hi,
could you share which Optometrist your girl is seeing for the OrthoK lens?
Hi twin2003

It is aero v at thomson. I decided to get the lens from them because they spend time to explain and email summary after check. My experience with the Drs is they rushed through all the procedures, so this is something different.

Juzgirlz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 02,

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by Juzgirlz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:01 pm

sembgal wrote:
Juzgirlz wrote:My 16yrs old has now been on OrthoK for 3 weeks. Her degrees dropped from 975 astig 425 to now 0 and she does not need to wear glasses anymore after 1 week. At first I was worried about sleeping with lenses and infection, but my DD seemed to be very comfortable with the lenses, now she can even take care of everything on her own and the optometrist checks the lenses every time we see him.

My hubby and I are finally relieved that our daughter can finally go without her glasses. Whether stopping her degree or not, at least she can put aside her thick glasses and do her track&field freely.

Hi David wife, thank you for sharing your experience, I would not have taken up OrthoK if I did not see your post earlier!

Hi yzsee, we got Lutein from the supplement shop. Thank you!
Health consideration:
Inflammations or infection of the anterior segment of the eye or the cornea
Disease, injury or abnormality affecting the cornea, conjunctiva or eyelid, or impacting contact lens wear
Very dry eyes or low eye moisture
Corneal hypoesthesia (low sensitivity)
Eye related allergies, including allergies to contact lens solutions

The perfect eyesight could be a temporary effect that last about 2 years, after that back to square one.
Hi sembgal. Thx for sharing! That sounds really scary and there are some points i didnt ask before, so I brought the questions to my optometrist. He said that infection and allergies can be prevented by proper cleaning and solution with no prrservatives. He also emphasised that the fitting is very important so he only do customised lenses. My DD has been wearing it for almost 2 months now, nv complain dry.

Yes I know it is temporary because she has to wear the lens everynight. I am thinking of bringing her to LASIK when she is 18.

kboon2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 28,

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by kboon2009 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 am

My DD has been complaining of blur vision. Which Doctor would parents recommend please? There seems to be several hospitals with eye centers: SNEC, KK, NUH... Thank you.


Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Apr 23,
Total Likes:15

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by Angelight » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:13 pm

kboon2009 wrote:My DD has been complaining of blur vision. Which Doctor would parents recommend please? There seems to be several hospitals with eye centers: SNEC, KK, NUH... Thank you.
Hi, why don't you bring your child to an optometrist first. Eye doctors usually see serious eye problems, and they may also refer your child to an optometrist if she is diagnosed with myopia. Just my opinion.

kboon2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 28,

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by kboon2009 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Optometrist is also in hospitals? Or spectacle shops?

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Apr 23,
Total Likes:15

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by Angelight » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Go to those reputable optical shops and asked to see their optometrist, not just optician. Optometrists have higher qualifications.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 13894
Joined: Tue Oct 04,
Total Likes:223

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by jetsetter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:55 am

Angelight wrote:
kboon2009 wrote:My DD has been complaining of blur vision. Which Doctor would parents recommend please? There seems to be several hospitals with eye centers: SNEC, KK, NUH... Thank you.
Hi, why don't you bring your child to an optometrist first. Eye doctors usually see serious eye problems, and they may also refer your child to an optometrist if she is diagnosed with myopia. Just my opinion.
Blur vision is usually associated with myopia, so just go to an optometrist, if she doesn't have any infection or complain of any pain.

It's too premature to spend more $ to visit an ophthalmologist imo. Even if you visit an ophthalmologist, he'll first get his assistant who is an optometrist to check your "power" first.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 13894
Joined: Tue Oct 04,
Total Likes:223

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by jetsetter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 am

kboon2009 wrote:Optometrist is also in hospitals? Or spectacle shops?
Both. Those understudying but mostly secured employment at spectacle shops. They are diploma holders but some might have a BSC in optometry.

Post Reply