All About Kids' Eye-sight

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
Jworld
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Kids' Eye-sight

Post by Jworld » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 pm

chickaboom8888 wrote:How about Mi-sight - the daily disposal soft contact lens to control myopia? Considering this vs Ortho-K for my daughter. Thanks.
Misight is a daily disposal one, so hygiene wise, is more ideal. The only thing is that the kid needs to wear 10 hours a day, six days a week, in order for the control of myopia to effect.

K lens, more ex. If you misplace the lens, the replacement is not cheap. Hard lens won't be as comfortable also. But some thing I will like about K lens is that, after some period of using it, the kid can sustain perfect eye sight for more than a day. Besides, in the day time, the kid doesn't need to wear anything on the eye. Less burden.

If my hub and my kid agree, I will go for K lens. It also makes it easy for me to force my kid to go sleep, as K lens takes effect while the kid is sleeping. My kid currently always like to open her eyes during bedtime and start chatting instead of falling asleep immediately.

davidcalvin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by davidcalvin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 pm

The new generation is transfixed to the mobiles and screens. They watch cartoons and play games most of the time from a very short distance. It affects their eyesight at a young age. Also, most children stay indoors and spend less amount of time outdoors which causes eyesight disorders in them. Hence, it is best to encourage the kids to go outdoors and leave their smart electronic devices at home. All hospitals must start an initiative for educating masses like Neoretina has. The link will give you a complete understanding of anatomy of eye http://blog.neoretina.com/category/retina/

icechendol
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by icechendol » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Myopia is an area of great concern especially in a country like singapore.
Genetics play a part in the rising rate of myopia. Coupled with environmental factors, it is growing at an alarming rate.
I chanced upon this forum and realised the concerns parents have. I would be happy to answer queries to the best of my abilities if required :)

Some links for parents to read on why controlling myopia is important as it could lead to eye conditions such as RD (retinal detachment) and glaucoma :
https://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/ ... ession.htm

and methods to control myopia :
https://www.myopiainstitute.com/about-myopia-control/

hope this benefits the parents coming to this thread

icechendol
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by icechendol » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Jworld wrote:
chickaboom8888 wrote:How about Mi-sight - the daily disposal soft contact lens to control myopia? Considering this vs Ortho-K for my daughter. Thanks.
Misight is a daily disposal one, so hygiene wise, is more ideal. The only thing is that the kid needs to wear 10 hours a day, six days a week, in order for the control of myopia to effect.

K lens, more ex. If you misplace the lens, the replacement is not cheap. Hard lens won't be as comfortable also. But some thing I will like about K lens is that, after some period of using it, the kid can sustain perfect eye sight for more than a day. Besides, in the day time, the kid doesn't need to wear anything on the eye. Less burden.

If my hub and my kid agree, I will go for K lens. It also makes it easy for me to force my kid to go sleep, as K lens takes effect while the kid is sleeping. My kid currently always like to open her eyes during bedtime and start chatting instead of falling asleep immediately.
Seems like the practitioner did a pretty good job at explaining the methods available to you :)
Different pros and cons for each method and i am sure you have weighed it before deciding which method is better for you.
Hope the process goes well for your child :)

Meiling090
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Meiling090 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Anyone go to JB to do spectacle?

san20sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by san20sg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 pm

how much does myovision lenses cost? Thanks!

Star-Tutors
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Star-Tutors » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 am

Hard lenses are somewhat uncomfortable, and the eyes hurt and tear up if a large particle of dust is blown onto the eyes. Daily disposables are safer, for hygiene and comfort reasons :) Ever notice how eye doctors and optometrists usually do not wear contact lenses - and would rather wear glasses?

icechendol
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by icechendol » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:46 pm

san20sg wrote:how much does myovision lenses cost? Thanks!
Hi , it starts from $248 RRP.
Whether or not the shop gives a lower price/discount is up to them or your closeness with the staff.

icechendol
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by icechendol » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Star-Tutors wrote:Hard lenses are somewhat uncomfortable, and the eyes hurt and tear up if a large particle of dust is blown onto the eyes. Daily disposables are safer, for hygiene and comfort reasons :) Ever notice how eye doctors and optometrists usually do not wear contact lenses - and would rather wear glasses?
True to a certain extent.
When dust particles do enter the eye and gets trapped beneath the eye, it will cause discomfort.
However, simple removal of the lens and cleaning it and putting them back on will solve it.
Daily disposables are generally safer but also not without its risks and disadvantages.

As for the last statement, glasses often provide the best form of vision, hence it is preferred for our line of work.
I know of many optometrists and doctors who wear contact lenses as well. Either job requirement or for aesthetic reasons.

CarenL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CarenL » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am

My child has constant eye rubbing and has extreme light sensitivity, does it mean that there is something wrong with her eyes?