Treating irregular periods

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Treating irregular periods

Postby Angelight » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

Hi, anyone has any good recommendations to treat irregular periods through diets? Is TCM or western gynae better for such condition?

If TCM is good, any recommendation like Tong Chai or other TCM?
If gynae is good, which one?

Thanks!

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu May 20, 2010 2:37 pm

My periods were regularly irregular (my gyne's own words), with very heavy flow and each lasts at least 7 days. I also had painful cramps, bloatedness, nausea and diarrhea for the first 1-2 days. So I truly hated them. When I was considering birth control methods, I came across Mirena (which is like the IUCD) and was known to reduce all these problems to the point of making your periods "disappear".
I immediately got it inserted and used it for about 5 years and saved time and money on painkillers, detergent (to wash up) and pads as my periods gradually disappeared. A month after I took it out, my cycle came back and I got pregnant immediately. Now, I'm just waiting for my periods to return (since I'm still nursing my baby) before I can get another one.

So, if you need to use birth control, cannot stand having periods like me and don't mind them "disappearing" for a few years, try Mirena. Just ask your gyne.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Is Mirena painful to insert in? Uncomfortable? Actually I don't have heavy flow, just irregular like every 2 or 3 months. I used to have regular period, so abit concerned.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri May 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Angelight wrote:Is Mirena painful to insert in? Uncomfortable? Actually I don't have heavy flow, just irregular like every 2 or 3 months. I used to have regular period, so abit concerned.

Some say it's painful but for me it's just discomfort, kinda like having a pap smear/internal exam. My gyne will warn me just before it hurts so that I can be prepared for it. It's a dull kind of pain. I had slight cramps for about an hour with minimal discharge. If you're afraid of the pain, take painkillers before going to get it done. It takes a few minutes to insert it so if you have an experienced gyne, it'll be over very soon. One week later, it's best to go back to gyne for a check-up to make sure that it's still in there. Any expulsion or displacement will usually occur within the first week. It's a small thing so you may not even know that it's gone or has moved.

Since you used to have regular periods, maybe you should check on your diet, lifestyle, etc to see what has probably caused the change. If you're really concerned, go see your gyne about it. :D

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Treating irregular periods

Postby LLX04 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:15 am

Hi,

I have irregular periods since teens.

My gynae dont see a issue as long as i am healthy. However, i was given the option to be on contraceptive pills for 6 months to regulate the periods. Once out of pills, my period is back to irregular again and gynae explained this that irregularites can be due to my lifestyle, stressed and etc. Nothing much can be done.

I have seen TCM - Eu Yang Sang and be on medication for 6 months. There is not much improvement ( i could be impatient) and TCM are really expensive so i stopped.

LLX04
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Angelight » Sat May 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks LLX04 and schellen,

I was thinking if Thong Chai TCM helps...but cannot tahan the taste of chinese herbs :P . Consulted my gynae before, but he just gave me medicine to induce the period to come. Then after some time, irregular again *sigh*. can't be going to him every time right?

Very inconvenient when period is not regular cos cannot track when is fertile/ovulation time, and have to test for pregnancy if period missed that mth...

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Treating irregular periods

Postby HildaSpencer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Its always safe to treat irregular periods with the opinion of doctor. So always try to avoid some home remedies which can harm your body.

HildaSpencer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Health