Ouch! Insects Bites

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Ouch! Insects Bites

Postby rockmoo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:41 am

My girl is very prone to mosquito bite and they come nasty and huge. Anyone has any effective remedy to stop the itch and get rid of the big red swollen bites?

rockmoo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Ouch! Insects Bites

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:59 am

rockmoo wrote:My girl is very prone to mosquito bite and they come nasty and huge. Anyone has any effective remedy to stop the itch and get rid of the big red swollen bites?


Mopiko comes to mind :) .

My insect repellent is my children. They seem to get bitten all the time too, and no mosquito seem to want me when my kids are around. Guess there's too much fat in my blood or something.

Have you considered using aroma therapy oils (Citronella) as natural insect repellents?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby sashimi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 am

If you prefer a more "natural" solution, try calamine lotion on the bites. It's quite effective.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby jenniferjoey » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Yes sashimi Calamine lotion is the safest lotion for itch!!! :lol:

I hope parents don't anyhow put any ointment on any insects bite. There are many times of insects bites we can't recognised. So don't play play.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000033.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/insectbitesandstings.html

Recently I have a friend's son came back home after a insect bites on the leg. As the bites cause numbness, his son don't feel anything until my friend took a look. His whole body got very swollen, my friend immediately send his son to hospital, but the condition got worsen. Within a day his son was send to ICU for serious monitoring.... After two days his son's condition got stablised.

Please take good care of our little ones! :pray:

sashimi wrote:If you prefer a more "natural" solution, try calamine lotion on the bites. It's quite effective.

jenniferjoey
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby buds » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Just to share another kampung remedy,
of old time... Referred to by nice grannies
from our old kampung days when we used
to get mosquito bites from playing within the
forested kampung environment.

It was a Malay granny who first introduced to
our family back then, the product she said is
called "kapur". Wuahahaa.. in direct translation
that word would mean - chalk!

Said to be used in cooking / cooking preparation
as well then. White like chalk yes, but not hard...
Its like watery milk paste, (mebbe like chalk when
mixed with water). When applied... cooling and
hardly any antsy or pinchy feeling. Just really
cooling after which the area will slowly dry up
and you can wash away and reapply. No itch from
first application already. One small jar showed it
contained calcium carbonate + hydrogen oxide..
I am not sure the authenticity of that, but from
the old days till today with my own, we have been
using that and it works. No crying involved. :D

Just dip in your finger into paste with yer lil' pinky,
and rub gently on the swelled up itchy blister like
bump.. and the paste wud work its magic with the
coolness of it and helps to shrink up the bump in
no time and its back to the park again! :wink:

Available at any mamak or malay uncle stall in
markets or those old-school sundry store.. only
$1.00. Mebbe dis one was the kind of old-school
calamine lotion like remedy concocted by the old
granny from the kampung.. :wink:

Just my sharing..

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84



Postby vfong1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 am

Can axe oil prevent mossie bites?

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby MLR » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Hiya all

Got a little something to share about pests prevention.

Mosquitos dislike hot(as in spicy), cockcroach dislike fagrance, ants dislike sour.

Mosquitos don't like lemongrass/peppermint/mouthwash/citronella, so things like axeoil, tigerbalm, mopiko are effective as insect repellent. Its just that once the smell grows weak, they attack again. I use essential oils or mouthwash as insect repellent (pour mix with water into electric burner) in DS's room. When its really bad, i use those mozzie patch.

I leave a piece of cinnamon bark at corners of kitchen cabinet to help prevent cockcroaches. I will break off a little each week to keep the fagrance strong. Thats why taxi drivers use pandan leaves in their taxis too. Just that need a lots of them in the house and DH not keen on pandan leaves.

If your kitchen is ants infested, can wipe counters and antsy area with lemon/lime juice or white vinegar.

Also, when we get bad mozzie bite, we will cut a cold lime and rub it onto the bite area. That will bring quick relief and also reduces the swelling.

:celebrate:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby vfong1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 pm

MLR wrote:Hiya all

Got a little something to share about pests prevention.

Mosquitos dislike hot(as in spicy), cockcroach dislike fagrance, ants dislike sour.

Mosquitos don't like lemongrass/peppermint/mouthwash/citronella, so things like axeoil, tigerbalm, mopiko are effective as insect repellent. Its just that once the smell grows weak, they attack again. I use essential oils or mouthwash as insect repellent (pour mix with water into electric burner) in DS's room. When its really bad, i use those mozzie patch.

I leave a piece of cinnamon bark at corners of kitchen cabinet to help prevent cockcroaches. I will break off a little each week to keep the fagrance strong. Thats why taxi drivers use pandan leaves in their taxis too. Just that need a lots of them in the house and DH not keen on pandan leaves.

If your kitchen is ants infested, can wipe counters and antsy area with lemon/lime juice or white vinegar.

Also, when we get bad mozzie bite, we will cut a cold lime and rub it onto the bite area. That will bring quick relief and also reduces the swelling.

:celebrate:


Thanks for your informatively reply.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby RRMummy » Wed May 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Thank you all for the above recommendation especially buds! :love:

Me and my gals are mozzie and insect magnets. After seeing the above, I tried using a modification to buds's recommendation... it comes in the form of white little pills (in malay known as bedak sejuk) instead of the liquid form mentioned by buds. It is made of rice, you place a few drops of water, make it into a paste, apply it onto the area. It dries up to white powder on the skin.

best thing is we finally found something which stops the itch even while it is drying, no more enormous swelling which takes a weak to heal and lagi best - it is natural!! Also works for rash.

Tested (more than 10 times) and proven! Highly recommended! Now all my Zambuk, Tiger balm, Mopiko, Antiseptic Cream are collecting dust! :P

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4931
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm
Total Likes: 9


Postby heutistmeintag » Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 pm

RRMummy wrote:Me and my gals are mozzie and insect magnets. After seeing the above, I tried using a modification to buds's recommendation... it comes in the form of white little pills (in malay known as bedak sejuk) instead of the liquid form mentioned by buds. It is made of rice, you place a few drops of water, make it into a paste, apply it onto the area. It dries up to white powder on the skin.


So are my wife and kids. My wife's average body temperature is 37+ since young and always attract mozzie. I like to stand near her when we are having outdoor activities. lol

Anyway, RRMummy, can you share where to get these little white pills?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:30 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Health