Goat Milk

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Goat Milk

Postby smurf » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 pm

went to Hay Dairies farm today and brought 10 bottles (small size) of goat milk back. It tastes delicious! especially the chocolate ones. I took a brochure back also. It seems that goat milk is a much better choice than cow milk.

(1) Goat milk is known to be more easily digestible compared to cow milk.

(2) Research shows that goat milk contains more of the essential fatty acids, such as linoleic and arachidonic acids and it has a greater percentage of medium and short-chain saturated fatty acids when compared to cow milk. There are also differences in milk proteins of goat and cow milk. In particular is alpha-s-1-casein in goat milk with its softer curf formation compared to cow milk.

(3) It contains a broad range of minerals and vitamins as the nutrional values found in most milk.
Goat milk contains less sodium but more potassium than cow milk.

Goat milk appears to provide an answer as it is found that many who are allergic to cow milk can tolerate goat milk.

The above is adopted from Hay Dairies brochure.

I was wondering why Goat milk isn't a popular choice when supplementing a child milk diet. is it because cow milk or soy milk cheaper? Hay's goat milk isn't cheap. 1 bottle (200ml) costs $2.50 ($10 for 5 bottles). and goat milk powder ain cheap either. a tin of 900g can cost about $30-40. Goat milk is a very popular choice of beverage in some countries, but doesn't seems to be popular in Caucasians countries.

Goat milk also contains higher calcium and phosphorus content.

a cup of cow milk contains 29.7% of calcium (DV) and 23.2% phosphorus(DV)
a cup of goat milk contains 32.6% of calcium (DV) and 27% phosphorus(DV)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:35 pm

I've occasionally seen an elderly Indian man making his rounds on a bicycle carrying bottles of milk where I live. I wonder who orders from them. There wasnt any cooler and the bottles used are pet-bottles that look like they've been recycled too many times. :shock:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby moom » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:05 am

I can attest to the goodness of goat's milk. My 2 younger girls are cow's milk intolerant and they didn't thrive on soy. After I started on goat's milk, they put on more weight, had less trouble with gas and slept better at night.
Good stuff but costs an arm and a leg compared to regular cow's milk :cry:

moom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 am

goat's milk has a foul taste & smell, not eveybody can accept it as compared to cow's milk.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby smurf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 am

Hey moom,

organic cow milk isn't cheap also leh...your gal drinking fresh goat milk or powder?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 am

I'm moving this thread to Health.

:D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby auntieM » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 am

Interesting to learn about goat's milk here.. ...
My memory of goat/yak's milk dates back to those days when I was travelling in Tibet.. ..About time to update with the current local ones..
:wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby moom » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 am

smurf,

they are taking powder. karrihome. find it a tad more economical cos when i did my calculations, litre for litre, they prob abt the same, but fresh milk cannot keep too long and gotta keep asking them to deliver etc. Plus, much to my surprise, no 'goaty' smell or taste at all. can't vouch for the fresh version tho, but I remember when my daughter came back from Hay's, she was given a small chocolate milk bottle and it was surprisingly pleasant

moom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks moom for your review.:)

fresh goat milk has a subtle goaty smell, but it's very light. It tastes very yummy though.

The chocolate ones taste even better. it doesn't taste ''commercial'', no heavy sugar. but ds1 prefers natural ones. :D
Last edited by smurf on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 am

hi hi,
my sons like Goat's milk too! When we first tried it a few years ago, the smell was too strong for me and I really couldn't stomach it. We went back to it last year because of ds2's eczema, and to my surprise, it didn't seem to have that strong smell anymore. Maybe they change the feed or something, but it was definitely much more palatable now.

We used to buy 4 big bottles each time and keep in freezer. Just transfer and pop it in the fridge the day before you need it.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Health