Elderberry for Kids

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Elderberry for Kids

Postby Charmaine_chong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 am

Can anyone suggest which brand of Elderberry is good ?

My son is taking Sambucol and find it costly. Any cheaper alternative and yet good to recommend?

http://www.vitacost.com/Sambucol-Black- ... d-For-Kids

Thanks

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:50 am

When they were younger, my kids used to take the Sambucol Elderberry from Vitakids too, but eventually we stopped as it was costly and I did not find it as effective as claimed. I am not sure of other other brands with erlderberry in it.

If your family is not allergic to honey relate products, U might want to switch to Manuka Honey - there are many wonderful testimonies in that thread :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:49 am

Hey Schweppes,

I went through the link.

So its for flu and cold symptoms, only to be taken then??

Can it be bought from Vitakids??? Going there today :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Hey Schweppes,

I went through the link.

So its for flu and cold symptoms, only to be taken then??

Can it be bought from Vitakids??? Going there today :D

Hiya Autumnbronze,

Ya, Sambucol is sold at Vitakids. Can't remember the price now. They have different product lines for cold, flu, cough and can also be used for prevention. I started my family on it during SARs period - so that was some time back. Sambucol's claim was that it has anti-viral properperties.

It did help my kids' immunity especially since they were at the pre-sch age. But as they grew older and their immunity strengthened, I stopped buying Sambucol as they only take multi-vits now.

Happy shopping at Vitakids. Hope u are a member as we get 10% discount and 20% during bday months :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 am

schweppes,

May i know where do you buy Manuka Honey? What is the difference betwen Manuka honey and normal honey?

Thanks

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Charmaine

I'm no expert on Manuka Honey but have been reading the sharings provided by other KSP parents and I found it most useful when my kids and I felt a bit flu-ey during the June hols.

Here's the link below for your convenience:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=110

Funz gave a good explanation, and you may want to read the rest of the posts for more info.

Hope that helps! :wink:

:celebrate:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Charmaine_chong wrote:schweppes,

May i know where do you buy Manuka Honey?
Thanks

I got my Manuka Honey from Unity Pharmacy and I have seen Nature's Farm and Guardian Pharmacy selling them too.

Having tried both Manuka Honey and Sambulco Elderberry, I felt that the healing effects worked better and faster in the Manuka. But, must qualify that this comparison is made when taken at the start of a cold, flu or sore throat. I guess it will probably take longer to heal when it's a full blown flu or cough

:wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks schweppes.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Schweppes,

Went down to Vitakids to check out the Elderberry.

Realized its a supplement. Am actually looking for something that will ease DS's runny nose or congestion.

I was actually thinking of something that I could dab on his pillow or pyjamas. Someone else recommended olbas oil (I think thats how its spelt). Heard of it??

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
Am actually looking for something that will ease DS's runny nose or congestion.

I was actually thinking of something that I could dab on his pillow or pyjamas. Someone else recommended olbas oil (I think thats how its spelt). Heard of it??

Olbas oil? :? si mi lai? Sori, never heard of it.

But when girls were younger - about ur ds age, I bought Oregano oil (from Vitakids) which also has anti-bacterial properties. As the oil is very strong, I did not want dds to take it neat.

When the girls were younger and had runny nose or congestion, this is what I did:

1. Splash 2-3 drops onto my hands, rub the oil in both hands, and then gently rub the oil into dds chest (whilst they were sleeping). I did not rub the oil directly onto dds chests as the heat from the oil is very strong, so I let my hands absorb the heat, thereby reducing the discomfort for my kids.

2. Massage their feet with the oregano oil, ala foot reflexology concept. The soles of the feet will absorb the oil into their system.

Now, that they are older, I get them to take it neat - 2 drops under their tongues. Alternatively, if ds is older and can swallow, you can give him capsules which is easier for the child to ingest.

:lol:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Health