Birth Control Methods

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Birth Control Methods

Postby winth » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi, I just read about this from another forum about birth control and I wonder if mothers here are using them. This is a copy and paste from one of the forummers' comment:

Just be aware that many contraceptives do NOT prevent Conception but are actually "abortifacients"... as in, you get fertilized, embryo grows and embeds in the uterus wall, then aborts. True!! The IUD is the worst of them all... babies grow around this metal coil and just get mashed basically, like growing around a potato masher. Not great for those that somehow survive long enough for the IUD to be pulled out...I'm sure that would have some effect on them phsically, mentally, intellectually.

And the mini-pill, any anything progesterone only actually work this way, the same way as the morning after...baby is conceived, but the environment in the womb becomes hostile and unfavourable to the continuing embryo, the wall sheds it's lining (like a period) and sheds the baby.

I learned all this after I took the morning after pill on the assuredness by the doctor that it prevented CONCEPTION. That's how I lost my eldest child...july 19th 1993, conceived june 23rd 93. The doctor's idea of conception was not mine (which was fertilization, the sperm meeting the egg)...hers was a continuing embedded embryo. Why didnt she make that clear?? I'd have just happily had a baby if I knew I was going to impregnate and then abort!!!!

I'll NEVER get over it, and years later I'm still ANGRY.


For me, I am currently using IUD as I went through C-section for both my pregnancies. So I had to go through birth control. I have not been told by my gynae about such thing. He just said simply that there is only a 1% chance of pregnancy and I simply assume that 99% chance the egg will not be fertilised.

But from the quoted comment above, it seems untrue.

Does anyone know anything about this?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby tamarind » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Oral contraceptive pills contains progesterone which suppressed ovulation. That means the ovary does not release any eggs.

It is best to read wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_o ... ptive_pill

I don't know about IUD, but you can read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device

The only 100% safe way of contraception, is tubal ligation, but only if you are sure you don't want to have any babies any more. It is a simple procedure. But much better than taking any form of medication or IUD, you never know what kind of long term side effects there may be.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby MMM » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm

I asked my gynae before about the potential of getting cycts,etc... as a result of a foreign body (eg. IUD) in the body. He said, that is not eliminated and there is a potential.

Hence, I've avoided IUD as well. But the original quote sure sound scary if it's real.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77


Postby tanlengleng » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 am

I was thinking of inserting the IUD after our 3rd kid.
Anyone have any other suggestions besides not "doing it anymore"?

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:04 am

tanlengleng wrote:I was thinking of inserting the IUD after our 3rd kid.
Anyone have any other suggestions besides not "doing it anymore"?


I noticed that IUS (different from IUD or IUCD) is not very popular here. It is like IUD but the side effects are not really present. I tried mini-pill but I became the woman FROM hell. Then, I tried IUD but it lengthened my already long periods, made them even more painful (severe back pain) and increased the period flow, even after 6 months of usage. Thus, I became the woman IN (painful) hell.

Then I questioned my gynae about IUS that I read about online. I am still a very satisfied "customer". My guess about why it is not popular or well-known here is cos you eventually get no periods. Some women don't like that since no periods = no confirmed way of knowing whether you're pregnant or not. But to me, saved from pain, spending money on pads, restless nights, stained clothes and bedlinen was worth the trade. And since I have been pregnant before, my instincts would tell me if I got pregnant, if I wasn't so busy and stopped to think about it.

About it being abortion rather than prevention, well, as far as I know and believe, the change in hormones PREVENT fertilisation so .....

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby tanlengleng » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 am

schellen wrote:
tanlengleng wrote:I was thinking of inserting the IUD after our 3rd kid.
Anyone have any other suggestions besides not "doing it anymore"?


I noticed that IUS (different from IUD or IUCD) is not very popular here. It is like IUD but the side effects are not really present. I tried mini-pill but I became the woman FROM hell. Then, I tried IUD but it lengthened my already long periods, made them even more painful (severe back pain) and increased the period flow, even after 6 months of usage. Thus, I became the woman IN (painful) hell.

Then I questioned my gynae about IUS that I read about online. I am still a very satisfied "customer". My guess about why it is not popular or well-known here is cos you eventually get no periods. Some women don't like that since no periods = no confirmed way of knowing whether you're pregnant or not. But to me, saved from pain, spending money on pads, restless nights, stained clothes and bedlinen was worth the trade. And since I have been pregnant before, my instincts would tell me if I got pregnant, if I wasn't so busy and stopped to think about it.

About it being abortion rather than prevention, well, as far as I know and believe, the change in hormones PREVENT fertilisation so .....


Hi,
is this the Mirena?
http://www.mirena-us.com/index.jsp

If not, can help give me more information please.
Thanks.

tanlengleng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby schellen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 am

Yes, it's called Mirena. I didn't use the name cos I thought it'd be unfamiliar.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ZacK » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Wonder if I am opening up a can of worms or risk getting flamed sticking my finger in a thread with postings by mums only.

I suppose that mums here have discussed and ruled out the possibility of your husbands using condoms instead? Based on what I read in relation to birth control methods for women, they seem to be pretty drastic measures that affects women physically.

Other than going for the extreme measure of having either my wife or I going for sterilisation, I thought the trip to the convenience store to get a box of rubbers is by far the most simple and least harmful (to both mums and dads) form of birth control.

Of cos certain choices/decision with regard to birth control methods may be made due to individual preferences... What I am saying is the choice of birth control method to use should be a joint decision by both mums and dads after having deliberated on the possibilities :wink:

Btw I do not work for Durex or Okamoto japan, so not advocating any preferred choice :P

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Those French Caps..

Postby buds » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Heyya Zack,

Don't you worry there...
I for one will not flame you! Heheh..
Its nice to hear a guy's point of view.
Usually diplomatic and un-emotional.
Just straight-on.

Just to share... i have been asking
around frenz who have gone thru
birth control methods mentioned by
many in this thread. But i am waaaay
to scaredy-cat to get it done myself..

So, hey... Durex works for me.

Buuuuut... if there was ever an accident,
i sure kena! I suppose i'm quite fertile.
Very regular periods.
Physically active - i do exercise.
Gym and swim. Plus retail therapy with gal pals...
(Hey, thats multi tasking for you!) My good
friend comes on the dot. Okay sometimes miss
by few hours or a day at least. Not on any pills
or medications.

The disadvantage is though those french caps are
cheap, convenient and also offer some form of
protection (against getting another baby so soon),
they are not the same as, bluntly put >the skin. :shock:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22681
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


The Mirena

Postby buds » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Heyya schellen,

I haven't got to reading in detail abt the Mirena,
but i will. Just wanna quickly ask - does it hurt?

A few frenz say it hurt having the IUD inside..
Ouch.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 22681
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am
Total Likes: 84


Next

Return to Health