All About Child Immunisation

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:219

Re: All About Child Immunisation

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:09 am

Blue Pearl wrote:After the child goes to Pri 1, when will be the next immunisation
P5 is the year they get a whole bunch of boosters. It's done through the school, so you will be informed when the time comes.

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/gamesan ... ticle/3216

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by sembgal » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 am

Blue Pearl wrote:After the child goes to Pri 1, when will be the next immunisation
You can bring your dd for cervical cancer vaccination once she turns 9 years old.

Source: http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/News/Pa ... isave.aspx

From Nov, money in accounts can be used to pay for vaccine that cuts disease risk by 70%

PARENTS and women can now use Medisave to pay for a vaccine that experts say can protect against cervical cancer. Starting next month, they can use the $300 a year allocated for outpatient treatments from their Medisave accounts to pay for the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine. Women are given three shots of the vaccine over six months, and these cost $450 to $600 in all.

The Expert Committee for Immunisation, made up of senior officials from the Ministry of Health, consultant paediatricians and experts in communicable disease control, had recommended that the vaccination be included in the childhood immunisation programme.

But the ministry said Singapore will not offer the vaccination in schools, even though other countries do. The vaccine reduces a woman’s risk of getting the disease by 70 per cent.

Cervical cancer hits about half a million women around the world each year, killing half of them. In Singapore, about 200 women are diagnosed with the disease each year, and 80 die of it, most likely because it is discovered late.

Many developed countries not only support such vaccination, but also provide it free for all young girls. The vaccine is best given to girls before they become sexually active, since the cancercausing virus is frequently sexually transmitted. In Britain, for example, all girls aged 12 to 13 have been vaccinated for free in schools since 2008.

In Singapore, girls and women aged between nine and 26 – the range recommended by the vaccine manufacturers – can get their jabs from family doctors or at polyclinics, which will help them make the claims from Medisave.

Dr Thoon Koh Cheng, head of paediatric infectious diseases at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, suggested that girls get the jab at the age of 10, when they get their booster vaccine for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. His colleague, Associate Professor Philip Yam, who oversees women’s cancers at the hospital, said older women can also benefit from the vaccine.

A regular pap smear can help detect the emergence of cervical cancer, which has few symptoms in the early stages. When the cancer is fairly advanced, some women may suffer from vaginal bleeding between periods, or have a foul-smelling watery discharge.

Without the test, the disease is usually caught late and even surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy may not save the woman’s life. But even after they have been vaccinated, sexually active women should continue going for pap smears at least once every three years, said Prof Yam, as the vaccine does not give full protection.

Both HPV vaccines – Merck’s Gardasil and GlaxoSmithKline’s Cervarix – protect against the two main strains of cancer-causing HPV. Gardasil also offers 90 per cent protection against two other HPV strains that cause genital warts in men and women.

While welcoming the move to allow Medisave use, Jurong GRC MP Halimah Yacob said she still thinks the Government should provide some subsidy for the vaccine, as it is very expensive. She had made a call in May for the vaccine to be made compulsory for all girls at the age of 13.

She told The Straits Times yesterday: “Cervical cancer is the only cancer affecting women that can be prevented. It is therefore important that everything is done to facilitate our young girls’ vaccination against it.”

Madam Halimah, who used to chair the Government Parliamentary Committee for Health, dismissed arguments that vaccinating young girls is tantamount to giving them permission to have sex: “If their daughter wants to be promiscuous, whether or not she is vaccinated will not be the deciding factor. Rather, it is the values that she holds.”

She added that Malaysia is subsidising the vaccine for girls. It expects to spend RM150 million (S$64 million) to protect about 300,000 girls annually.

Student Shareena Siraj, 23, is thinking about getting vaccinated now that she can use her parents’ Medisave to pay for it. She said: “I am still a student, so $450 is quite a lot to pay.”

rachels1982
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by rachels1982 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Following

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:04 am

The school health team will be making their rounds just before CNY.
Daughter will be having jab (p5).... :pray: she will be ok after that.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by sembgal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 am

janet88 wrote:The school health team will be making their rounds just before CNY.
Hi janet88, you can go to Chinese medicinal shop 药材店 to buy those fine ginseng roots. It helps to 'cool' down the body before immunization. It helps to prevent fever. Give it a try.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by nicnac » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 am

sembgal wrote:
janet88 wrote:The school health team will be making their rounds just before CNY.
Hi janet88, you can go to Chinese medicinal shop 药材店 to buy those fine ginseng roots. It helps to 'cool' down the body before immunization. It helps to prevent fever. Give it a try.
Mine had hers about 2 weeks ago. Complained about sore arm for that day and was fine after that...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for the advice :smile: ...daughter will be having her jab after cny...I was also told by a friend that her daughter experienced soreness for 1-2 days after the jab. My girl is away for camp till 2moro...can't wait to hear her stories when we pick her up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:42 am

sembgal wrote:
thanks sembal :smile: ...after reading your post, I went to hock hwa to get the ginseng slices. the guy told me to make a glass for her to drink everyday for 1 week before the jab.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:45 am

Janet, yr dd drinks ginseng tea. My kids simply refuse becos of the smell. To me, the smell is heavenly but not to them. So I can only brew chrysanthemum tea for them.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 am

zbear wrote:Janet, yr dd drinks ginseng tea. My kids simply refuse becos of the smell. To me, the smell is heavenly but not to them. So I can only brew chrysanthemum tea for them.
zbear,
both my kids love the smell. during the cold weather, my mum makes ginseng chicken soup and they both love it. on days when son has to stay back, I give him a ginseng capsule to stay awake.