Baby's Bowel Movement

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Baby's Bowel Movement

Postby serena » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Hi, my baby is 2 month old. She's on partial breastfeed & partial formula milk. She used to have 1-2 stools daily. Recently, she started to have stool once every 3 days. The stool looks normal though (a lot, soft & mastard in colour).
Is the stool frequency normal??? :shock:
I don't think is constipation right, since the stool looks fine and the preditrician previously mention that infant do not need water (so I've not given any water to her).

serena
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi Serena, my baby is 7mths old & she's on total breastmilk. Just for your info, your baby is doing fine & you needn't worry. Babies at 2mths of age doesn't poo as much or often when compare with a newly born cos their digestive system is much stronger now. However, as your baby is also on formula, you may wanna give her some water as formula milk may be slightly heaty & indegestive when compared to breastmilk which contains 80%water. That explains why babies on breastmilk doesn't need water. The poo is mustard colour cos she's still on partial breast milk & not on full time formula. Morever, she has not started solid food.

lill
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cmm » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi Serena,

Babies this young pass stools very irregularly, unlike adults.

Fully breastfed babies may move their bowels as often as after every feed (my eldest one did!! :roll: ), or as infrequently as once a week. Both are perfectly normal.

Actually, to determine if your baby is constipated, look at the hardness/softness of the stools....

hard, pebble-like stools = constipated
soft, paste-like stools = normal

Hope this helps......[/list]

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby serena » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 am

serena
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Health