How to increase blood pressure?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

How to increase blood pressure?

Postby qizai » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm

My wife has low blood pressure, about 80-90.

I would like to seek advice on what kinds of foods/vitamins she can eat to increase and maintain her blood pressure to a normal 110-120 level.

The Chinese physician she saw gave her some herbs that are of some but limited effect.

Would exercise help?

Thanks!

qizai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:12 am

I used to have low blood pressure too.
My advice to your wife: BE A TEACHER!
Blood pressure sure rise!
Mine rose to normal levels :p

Just kidding.
But it's really true.
My blood pressure rose to normal levels during term time and during holidays, it will drop down again.

For supplements, she should ensure that she gets enough iron either in her diet or through supplements.
Also, drink more isotonic drinks (helps maintain healthy electrolyte level).

Exercise does help to build up blood volume.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

there is another thread on how to reduce blood pressure ....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Unfortunately too high or too low our blood pressure is a concern. For me, I have high blood pressure so the other thread will benefit me... DW has low blood pressure which results in her having dizzy/fainting spells... Would be good if we get to know of any natural remedies. :pray:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Congratulations on the low blood pressure. There's less wear and tear on the heart. With age, blood pressure will rise, so your wife's starting point is gd!

In my case, the heart doc told me to exercise regularly to have a healthy heart. Take care when rising from a prone or lower position to sitting or standing upright- just do it slowly and expect some dizziness.

I'm already at the threshold of higher bp, so my days of dizziness are over liao. :cry:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to increase blood pressure?

Postby 3Boys » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:46 pm

qizai wrote:My wife has low blood pressure, about 80-90.

I would like to seek advice on what kinds of foods/vitamins she can eat to increase and maintain her blood pressure to a normal 110-120 level.

The Chinese physician she saw gave her some herbs that are of some but limited effect.

Would exercise help?

Thanks!

The blood pressure is as high as it needs to be to get the circulation going. If your wife is doing fine with 80-90 systolic, then, congratulations! Please don't take take anything to raise the BP.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:17 pm

I have low blood pressure too. I remember the Army medic having a hard time looking for my pulse and thinking that I was a walking dead. Fortunately I have enough stress in my life to keep my blood pressure up :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby qizai » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:47 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:I used to have low blood pressure too.
My advice to your wife: BE A TEACHER!
Blood pressure sure rise!
Mine rose to normal levels :p

Just kidding.
But it's really true.
My blood pressure rose to normal levels during term time and during holidays, it will drop down again.

For supplements, she should ensure that she gets enough iron either in her diet or through supplements.
Also, drink more isotonic drinks (helps maintain healthy electrolyte level).

Exercise does help to build up blood volume.

Thanks for your reply!

She has tried iron supplements too, but is unsure how much is too much.
It seems that too much iron supplements may increase the heatiness of the body...

The isotonic drink seems like a good suggestion indeed.

For exercise, some people say it makes no difference because while circulation is good for the body, it's not very useful if there's not enough blood to circulate. But moderate exercise is probably good for everyone. :D

qizai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby qizai » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 pm

ZacK wrote:Unfortunately too high or too low our blood pressure is a concern. For me, I have high blood pressure so the other thread will benefit me... DW has low blood pressure which results in her having dizzy/fainting spells... Would be good if we get to know of any natural remedies. :pray:

This is exactly DW's problem too... :(

qizai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby qizai » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I'm not sure if having 80-90 is good, but if a person has low blood pressure and is hopping around like an energetic rabbit, then good for him!

DW gets dizzy and fatigue spells, so I reckon a remedy is good for her.

qizai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health