Eczema?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Eczema?

Postby baglady » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 am

My boy has been having itch behind his knees and on his fingers for 2 weeks. There are no signs of mosquito bites so we thought it was a heat rash and applied cream. It seemed to help at first but now it only provides a bit of relief for a short while. Last night he woke up crying due to the itch and was scratching like mad. It stopped only after I put ice pack on it.

Now I think it may be eczema. Will prob bring him to the doctor tomorrow.

Does anyone have kids with eczema? It's like little bumps, not really red. I was reading about it online, seems there's no cure! Any recommendations?

baglady
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 am

buy from pharmacy Egocort Cream 1%, 15g tube, a few dollars only

must tell the pharmacist is for ezcema, they don't display on the rack, must get from the pharmacist

apply thinly, 4 times a day, very effective

you can't avoid ezcema, it could be triggered by food / dust / stress

this is also part of travel medicine kit pack
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:buy from pharmacy Egocort Cream 1%, 15g tube, a few dollars only

must tell the pharmacist is for ezcema, they don't display on the rack, must get from the pharmacist

sorry to say that i found egocort cream not effective as it contains only 1 % hydrocortisone,
and hydrocortisone is one of the mildest steroid
prob my gal ezcema is quite bad, need to use betamethsone (but only on prescription) or get from JB

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 am

Augmum wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:buy from pharmacy Egocort Cream 1%, 15g tube, a few dollars only

sorry to say that i found egocort cream not effective as it contains only 1 % hydrocortisone,
and hydrocortisone is one of the mildest steroid
prob my gal ezcema is quite bad, need to use betamethsone (but only on prescription) or get from JB

start with mild dose first, because the hydrocortisone will get less effective with persistent use

what is suggested is to use vaseline intensive repair or other organic balm on the skin once the ezcema goes off, to avoid another outbreak (caused by dry skin / irritation from the air .....blame the haze ??)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Eczema?

Postby lim_013 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:45 pm

baglady wrote:My boy has been having itch behind his knees and on his fingers for 2 weeks. There are no signs of mosquito bites so we thought it was a heat rash and applied cream. It seemed to help at first but now it only provides a bit of relief for a short while. Last night he woke up crying due to the itch and was scratching like mad. It stopped only after I put ice pack on it.

Now I think it may be eczema. Will prob bring him to the doctor tomorrow.

Does anyone have kids with eczema? It's like little bumps, not really red. I was reading about it online, seems there's no cure! Any recommendations?

I give my children nutrition supplement and use "safe" shampoo and hair shower + cloth detergent. i was told many thing can trigger sensitive skin, and before it gets worst, alot of thing had to be done. It been a year, so far so good.

lim_013
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby baglady » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks so much! I tried Egocort and my boy's condition has improved. The bumps subsided and the itch has almost stopped. Only once in a while he will scratch. I think his eczema is prob not too serious, but now I am a bit worried cos I don't know what caused it. As you all pointed out, could be caused by anything. We didn't use any new shampoo or shower gels for him so I'm really not sure why. Maybe it was the haze or heat.

Thanks verykiasu2010, I'll try the vaseline intensive repair too. Need to do prevention too!

baglady
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm

glad to know that it helps

once under control, try not to overuse it

prevention is better than cure

avoid dry skin condition - appropriate moisturising is necessary, and trim the finger nails. untrimmed finger nails make the scratching very shiok and will go scratch some more and then liao, broken skin, and more scratches.....infection, sore etc
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby baglady » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:11 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:glad to know that it helps

once under control, try not to overuse it

prevention is better than cure

avoid dry skin condition - appropriate moisturising is necessary, and trim the finger nails. untrimmed finger nails make the scratching very shiok and will go scratch some more and then liao, broken skin, and more scratches.....infection, sore etc

Haha ok thanks for the advice!! I'll go buy vaseline asap! Can't use my own moisturisers cos they're all scented and I think it's better to avoid those. I'll probably stop using the cream once the itch completely clear. Hopefully by next week. I don't think its good to use steroid cream for such young kids, even if its mild steroid.

baglady
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:15 pm

there is another shop in Centrepoint selling organic moisturer / balm / aromatic stuff, etc even better than Vaselin (for some people) ... pricey but good
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I think there is a medicine call 'zyntec' meant for allergy.. but better consult doctor first.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health