Anyone's child being through Squint Surgery of the Eye

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Anyone's child being through Squint Surgery of the Eye

Postby Awonder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,

My dd will be going for her squint surgery on her left eye. Its an eye problem whereby the muscle is weak and thus her pupil could not focus and tense to move away.

I had patched her eye for nearly 3 years but not much improvement so the doctor suggested surgery.

Eventhough the doctor had assured us there is minimum risk involved, me and dh still very worry as its the eye that matters, and worry about the outcome. Would like to hear from anyone in this forum who had gone thru this and share their experience with us.

Thanks a million.

Alice

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Alice,

not my kid, but my cousin's kid. He went through it at 6 yr old I think. before that, his squint was quite bad and one of his eyes was obviously turned in. The parents are pleased with the surgery outcome. He still wears glasses now at 10, but his eyes are straight and can focus.

coincidentally, I was at the library last night and the librarian was talking to the mother of a three year old wearing glasses. Apparently the little girl also has a squint and has already done the surgery. The mum said it is much better after the surgery. I wanted to talk to that mum but couldn't screw up the courage. I wanted to tell her that if her daughter still have difficulties reading in future, to look out for binocular vision issues. I understand from my reading up on vision issues that correcting squint is one issue, improving binocular vision may be another step you have to take depending on the child's progress.

Are you going to be with KKH Eye Center? If you are working with an orthoptist, I find Karen friendlier.

hth and best of luck.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby adhdadhd » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 pm

My nephew who had squint eye since birth, seen this Dr Pauline Cheong at Glaneagles, very nice and caring Doctor, the surgery done when he was 1+ year old was a success..

http://www.eyesurgeons.com.sg/index.php ... view&id=35

adhdadhd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Awonder » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi deminc (if that is yr name),

Thanks for sharing, if that is so, I feel much relieve cos I really hope that I and dh had made the right decision for her to go for the surgery. Sofar, my dd's eye vision is perfect except for the squint. May I know if the eye of your cousin's kid look normal as before, I mean not the focus of the pupil but the size and look of the whole eye.

Why I ask is because the doctor did told me that after pulling the muscle, their eye might look smaller or different but he had said that my dd's squint is consider very minor so would not be obvious after surgery.

May I know what is this concern on binocular vision. From what I know is that those who had squint could not see 3-D effects.

Yes, she is going to KKH Eye Center and her doctor is Dr Lam Pin Min.

Thanks once again.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cnimed » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 am

Hi Alice,

I can understand your worry. my cousin's son looks perfectly fine now. People would not be able to tell that he ever had a squint or an eye surgery. Since Dr Lam said it's very minor, it should be fine. My cousin's son's eye was previously very much turned in.

Being able to see in 3d is called stereovision. For stereovision you need the two eyes to work together well, in order to triangulate the position of things. The ability for the two eyes to work together is called binocular vision. Children can have perfect eyesight in each eye, but not have good binocular vision. This can affect reading, and of course, sports.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Anyone's child being through Squint Surgery of the Eye

Postby hl124273 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi,

My daughter who is 5 has been seeing Dr Pauline Cheong for the last 3 years. She has extropia in one of her eye where its like a intermittent squint that turns outwards for a few seconds whenever she is tired. We tried patching for 3 years, but the improvement was not significant. Dr Pauline suggested surgery - bilaterla squint operation.

I am very worried as surgery is a major procedure. Anyone has a child here who has undergone such surgery ? My daughter's squint is not obvious as in it is not permanently there but intermitten and obvious when she is tired. Doctor said her long distance 3D vision is not good.

hl124273
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Awonder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi, my daughter has squint surgery last Nov 2010. Sofar, she is much better than before....still had to go for review and at last after 3 years of testing, she can see one of the 3D image now.

I still find that her focus on looking straight is still not so good after the surgery. Whenever we ask her to look straight, she can do it, but once relax, her pupils was just not looking at you and tend to move away a little. You better get more information from your doctor on what will be the outcome on your dd's case....so that you will be more prepare on what to expect, anyway, every child's condition is different and we finally opt for surgery is for her best interest, thinking if delay might get worse and difficult to correct.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hl124273 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Awonder,

Thanks for the update!

MY dd's right eye is intermittently exotropia, meaning, we hardly see it, but it is obvious only aftger she rubs that eye and for a 2 sec you see it diverge a little out and then self correct to the center position. Or when she is very tired, sometimes the right eye moves out a little for a 2 sec and self correct. However, appearance aside, what worries me is her long distance 3D as Dr Pauline Cheong said her 3D long distance is not good. short distance 3D is ok. She asked her to wear 3D glasses and look at a panel of 4 circles which is about 2-3 m away from her. Asked which one pops out and she said they look all the same. I asked if she has always given that same answer in all the previous visits at the clinic and was told she gave the same answer (I couldn't recall if the answer was consistent each time she was tested on these 4 circle thingy).

May I ask what are the precautions to take note of after the surgery ?
Do you still have to train her on eye excercise to develop 3D vision ?

hl124273
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Awonder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi hl124273, so your dd's condition is quite mild and she still have the muscle to control her eye focus. My dd is more obvious and her left pupil always move outwards but her doctor said that it still consider a mild case. After the surgery, the doctor said that it won't be 100% for her pupil to remain in the centre, its about 1-2mm and you can hardly notice it.

When my dd start having eye check-up since 3 yrs old, she cannot see the pop up image at all and somehow I realise that I should not worry so much as I think that they still did not know what is 3D at all and what to look out for thus not being able to tell us if they really know how to see 3D image. It was only she is 7 now and through explanation to her, she can see the 3D image and I believe the surgery help too. Try to look out for any chance to let her understand and realise what is 3D, such as recently there are many 3D movie, maybe you can go for one, or visit some electronic shop and look out for the 3D LCD TV, let her put on the 3D glasses and see if she can tell the different, like there is depth and the image floating up, etc.

At the moment, the doctor had instruct me to train her left eye to move inwards more by holding an object infront of her to focus from a distance and slowly move towards her nose.

My dd had her surgery during the beginning of the yr-end school holiday so that she can have enough time to recover. After the surgery, my girl can remove her eye patch by night and need to put eye drop on her deligently till OK from the doctor. Otherwise, she still can see and only feel some uncomfort, itch and redness. The redness will take about 2-4 weeks to subside....cannot go swimming for 1 month, but to play safe I did not let her swim till 3 months. I am also careful that she won't have any contact with tap water when bathing, I clean her face with a handkerchief. Just be careful that she don't get near anything that might irritate her eye and no rough play for her also.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hl124273 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 am

Her short distance 3d ok , it's the long distance 3d . Brought her to watch rapunzel 3d mOvie some time ago but she refused to put on the 3d glass. I am also doing the pencil push up exercise with her by moving finger or pencil towards her to
Make her eyes converge and slowly moving away . She can make her weak eye converge after a few tries but still can see that it will take alot of self control to
Make it converge as it tends to
Want to
Move out a little as the finger gets closer to the eye . How did you wash her hair after the surgery ? I am afraid she tends to rub her eyes

hl124273
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Health