Looking after our skin

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Looking after our skin

Postby kwokwc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm

I saw on the TV a few days back on the show - "Queen 女人我最大". They mention about start looking after our skin as young as possible so that we can also maintain at that age. Just wondering how many of us really start doing the basic things such as cleansing, toning, moisturing, etc from as young as 20?

I just started using a series of facial products. They also believe in maintaining, preventing and repairing. So the idea is also start young so that can look younger when old. If start at 30, when 50 will still look at 30.

When I was younger, I was just busy working and looking after my kids. I must admit, only recently, after my 3rd kids, then I start taking note of my skin.

Just wondering the parents here, how many actually take effort to look after the skin? And if really start young, really will stay younger??

kwokwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I've always had good skin, so I haven't really paid attention to looking after it. I maintained a basic regime (clense, tone, moisturise, weekly scrub and mask) with inexpensive brands, but topped up with monthly facial visits.

Then, I had my first child, and it all went down the drain! I would definitely wash, but toning and moisturising would often be forgotten, and scrub and mask was a once an awhile affair (very rare) and facials - at most once a year when on holiday, and only if I had the time!!!

When I was looking through some photos I took recently at a friend's wedding, I was horrified by my crow's feet and how much I've aged! So I have become a bit more diligent with my moisturising and bought an eye care product and a serum. Still no time for facial...Don't think I'll ever look like I'm in my 20s anymore, but hopefully I can maintain my 30s look...

But do you think toner is necessary?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MMM » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Yah.... I am not a toner person... My skin has been ok. Not the pimples prone type during teenage yrs. Those with occasional 1-2 pimples outbreak.

Actually for me, I use a really cheap facial foam that I've been using since 16. It cost only $3.50 in today's price. I once had a breakout on my forehead and it went away after that facial foam. So now 20 yrs later, I am still using it. I observed that everytime I switch to something else, I would get a pimple so I switch back to the same old trusted facial foam.

However, my daily regime would include facial foam + SKII facial essence + whitening cream on my freckles + super sunblock moisturiser. I do this morning and night.

I've alot of facial masks from SKII and faceshop sitting around but .... I think I am quite lazy so I don't do those every week. Sometimes once a month. But I try to use the black head strip every week. I like the charcoal strip from faceshop. Got it in Korea and got a friend to bring alot back for me after I discover the product effectiveness.

But I am not those that will think about laser treatment,etc.... I think I am not the vain by nature type :?

I try to start my P2 and P3 on facial foam. Kept telling them if they don't want to have alot of pimples, they need to start to take care now.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby DesertWind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi kwokwc,

I am one of those who are not blessed with beautiful skin naturally. I started using facial foam & moisturizer when I was a teenager onwards but found that my skin is actually very sensitive to products so last time I used Oil of Ulan and found it too oily for my skin. I tried Neutrogena too and found the facial wash is good but I always seems to have problems using any type of moisturizers because they are usually too rich for me.

Then I discovered SKII Facial Essence (long ago when they were first available, then no longer available, then came back to SG with a vengeance!) and found that it suits my skin very much! But due to the fact that MaxFactor pulled out, it was no longer available and I bought from Msia once and then no longer use it for many years.

Then only recently (after I hit 40!) that I decided it is no longer a joke to take skincare lightly! So I started buying SKII facial essence in Singapore and use it - voila the magic is still there! It is the only "moisturizer" that controls my facial oil and my skin is actually pimple free and smooth and much tighter!

So my daily routine includes using facial wash to remove make-up (anytype even normal soap also can!), then use SKII Facial Essence. That's it! I don't use toner, night cream, sun block moisturer etc. because nothing works, the more expensive the brand and the "richer" it is, the worst for my skin ie. pimples and little oil dots will pop up around my eyes!

But perhaps due to a more mature age, my face seems more drier nowadays so I am experiencing using Clarins cooling gel as a form of moisturer on my face at night. Still observing whether I got adverse reaction or not. If not, I think I may just buy it to use at night to prevent dry fine lines!

As for my arms and legs, oh they are beautiful! I have been using moistuzer on my arms and legs daily since young after bathing and they are smooth & shining beautifully! My arms and legs are not at all sensitive so any type of moisturizer also can. I have used those from hotel toiletries, to oil of ulan to bodyshop, Crabtree & Evelyn, Shiseido and any brands over the years I have tried and is allergic to for my face, I use it on my arms & legs so no wastage!

Now I am actually using up the large can of pink Johnson baby lotion (which my son is allergic to) on my arms & legs too. Kee hee hee! :wink:
For arms & legs, yes, I agree that the younger you do the moisturizing the better it is.

Right now also started moisturizing my hands in the office after washing hands using usually harsh office detergent. This is crucial to prevent old looking hands. Don't need a lot so I use those sample moisturizers small bottled ones put at my office and can last a long time!

So find a brand suitable for you and then stick to it, it is never too late to start!
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 pm

DesertWind wrote:

As for my arms and legs, oh they are beautiful! I have been using moistuzer on my arms and legs daily since young after bathing and they are smooth & shining beautifully! My arms and legs are not at all sensitive so any type of moisturizer also can. I have used those from hotel toiletries, to oil of ulan to bodyshop, Crabtree & Evelyn, Shiseido and any brands over the years I have tried and is allergic to for my face, I use it on my arms & legs so no wastage!

DesertWind,
Wah, your arms and legs enjoy such a good life! I'm usually too lazy to moisturise my body, though I know I should! The skin on my hands are not in good condition...shall try to be more disciplined...

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby DesertWind » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:03 pm

MummyThreeStreams wrote: DesertWind, Wah, your arms and legs enjoy such a good life! I'm usually too lazy to moisturise my body, though I know I should! The skin on my hands are not in good condition...shall try to be more disciplined...

Hi M3S!

More like permanently pyscho by the adverts liow regarding moisturizing arms & legs now after bathing if I don't put, skin feels so dry and tight and last time can even crack and flakes!

As for the emphasized brand, more like :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies: most of the times, expensive mistakes but also a number of them were gifts from colleagues & friends so since I can never use on face, just use on arms & legs lor! :wink:

Yeh, hands are my most neglected part too and I actually "hate" seeing my colleagues in the past rubbing cream on their hands. So "unprofessional"! But now, I am doing it too because time & tide wait for no man. So just need to take some effort to help ourselves!
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwokwc » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Yes, true enough. I have not paid any attention to me legs and hands at all. Hmm, from all advices, I think I must start looking after my hand and leg too.

For me face, currently I am using cleanser, toner and moisturer twice a day. My moisturer is also my sunblock too, so just need to apply 1 cream. Only at night, I use one more firming up and anti-age cream. I have also just started using eye-cream. But not very consistent in putting the eye-cream, pure lazy. But hearding reading the posts here, must be more consistent.

Then once a week, I will use the facial scrub once, one deep cleansing masque once and one hydrating masque once. I don't visit beauty salon to do facial. The range of product that I use is a bit ex (Beauti-control from Tupperware), but I think if I am not lazy, can save on the visit to beauty salon.

Seems like a lot of pp like SKII, have not tried it. I think SKII product also not that cheap, right? If this range of product suits me, I will just stick on to it. :D

kwokwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:31 pm

ya, after my first baby, all skin regime went down the drain too!
only wash face, for a time even with the same bath soap :P
then second baby .... sigh...

recently started to put moisturizer when babies are asleep at same time, but that means dragging myself out of bed to do it!

as for sunblock... only when we are not late going out by the time both babies are dressed , ready, din poop or regurgiate again :P

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kwokwc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:48 pm

MummyThreeStreams wrote:But do you think toner is necessary?

From what I understand, toner helps to remove residue from the cleanser and neutralised the effect of hard water. Toners are also for pH balancing, they refine pores and prepare the skin to receive the next product. Therefore, toner is necessary.

kwokwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 am

i tot toner got astringent, tt's why constrict pores, but cos acidic, it's not v good for skin in long run?

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health