Given expired medication by clinic!

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Given expired medication by clinic!

Postby bekithia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 am

My son was prescribed Flixonase nasal spray by a GP for his allergy and he had been using the spray on and off for the past 3 weeks. I only realized earlier on that the Expiry date printed on the box is 10 2010! SO angry with myself for trusting the clinic totally and not checking for the expiry date before administering it to him. Very worried that there will be side effects from using the spray as well.

bekithia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cotton candy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Ohh.. this is bad.. Did you clarify with the GP?

cotton candy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bekithia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Yes I brought it back to the clinic and handed the expired product to the clinic assistant. I did not specify that the medicine was expired. Just said there was something wrong with the product and told her to check. After waiting for 10-15 mins, another clinic assistant came back to me with a new bottle of nasal spray and simply told me that they will give me an exchange! Imagine how upset I was at the way they handled this. They did not refer me to the doctor or ask about my child's reaction to the medicine. Not even a simple apology for their negligence

It was only after I flared up that they usher me to the GP on duty(it is part of a medical chain). :x Well, the GP on duty apologised and admitted it is their mistake but what can he do? My child had been using the expired spray for almost a month. He could only assure me that expired medication will not cause any harm. It will just lose it effectiveness. :| Now will I know if there's any side effect as a result of using this nasal spray that contains steroid? Upon my insistence, he had to inform their management about their negligence and in the end, they offered my child a physical check-up to ensure he's ok.

Of course I hope that the expired medicine will just simply lose its effectiveness and does not cause any side effects. But I have lost confidence in their local GP clinics way of dispensing medication. As the nasal spray was in the original manufacturer's box, the expiry date was printed in a corner of the box. But what about those medicine that had been split up and dispensed in the clinic's small plastic bags? We consumers will have no way of knowing whether the medicine is expired already.

bekithia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Health