Children with dandruff

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Children with dandruff

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,

My 11 year old DD started having dandruff recently. Don't know what's the cause? Oily scalp?? We have tried Head & Shoulders and Clear shampoo but nothing seems to work. Is it common for kids to have dandruff? Does anyone here have the same experience? Care to share? Thanks.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby orchids » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:03 pm

My dd also experienced dandruff around that age, so did some of her classmates.

By shampooing almost daily, dd managed to say bye bye to dandruff. :D

orchids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 pm

My dd P4 also has that. In her case, she has very thick hair and this problem arise when she never scrub and rinse her hair properly.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi orchids & MMM,

Thanks for your replies. Phew...so my DD is not the only kid with dandruff. Very getting worried and was wondering if she needs to see a trichologist. Mind sharing what shampoo your DD use? Thanks.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Dandruff is often caused by a fungus that feeds on hair oil. Tea tree oil is a good fungicide. The Daughter had a bout with dandruff back when she was training daily as a gymnast. I got her to drip 5 drops of tea tree oil 100% strength into one serving of shampoo. Wash and leave in for 5 minutes. Make sure you rub the tea tree deep into scalp. Rinse. Repeat over the next 3 days daily.

Then, just maintain with a weekLy application for a month or so. Problem should go away.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 am

Chenonceau wrote:Dandruff is often caused by a fungus that feeds on hair oil. Tea tree oil is a good fungicide. The Daughter had a bout with dandruff back when she was training daily as a gymnast. I got her to drip 5 drops of tea tree oil 100% strength into one serving of shampoo. Wash and leave in for 5 minutes. Make sure you rub the tea tree deep into scalp. Rinse. Repeat over the next 3 days daily.

Then, just maintain with a weekLy application for a month or so. Problem should go away.

Hi Chenonceau,

Thanks so much for sharing the above remedy. Will definitely ask DD to give it a try. Which brand of tea tree oil did you use for your DD? Can I just buy from Guardian pharmacy? Thanks.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 am

Tinkerbelle wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:Dandruff is often caused by a fungus that feeds on hair oil. Tea tree oil is a good fungicide. The Daughter had a bout with dandruff back when she was training daily as a gymnast. I got her to drip 5 drops of tea tree oil 100% strength into one serving of shampoo. Wash and leave in for 5 minutes. Make sure you rub the tea tree deep into scalp. Rinse. Repeat over the next 3 days daily.

Hi Chenonceau,

Thanks so much for sharing the above remedy. Will definitely ask DD to give it a try. Which brand of tea tree oil did you use for your DD? Can I just buy from Guardian pharmacy? Thanks.

I use Thursday Plantation. Both Guardian and Watson' should have it.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby imacsg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:29 am

Hi,
Both my sons also have this problem. They use Head & Shoulders and Clear Shampoo and it goes away. You may want to try DHA-Ketozole. You can get it from Guardian. It will go off when they are bigger.

imacsg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Chenonceau wrote:I use Thursday Plantation. Both Guardian and Watson' should have it.

Thanks chenonceau.. :wink:

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:06 pm

imacsg wrote:Hi,
Both my sons also have this problem. They use Head & Shoulders and Clear Shampoo and it goes away. You may want to try DHA-Ketozole. You can get it from Guardian. It will go off when they are bigger.

Hi imacsg,
DD tried Head & shoulders and Clear but dandruff still persists. Maybe her condition is worse than your boys..that's why didn't work for her. What is DHA-ketozole? Is a similar to DHA tablets?? Thanks.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health