Hair care for kids/girls

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Hair care for kids/girls

Postby sashimi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm

My DD asked me a few times in the recent past if she could have her hair permed - she wants to have waves like mommy's.

I've not given in to this request, but I am curious as to when it is suitable (if at all), for girls to have their hair treated as such.

She used to have very soft hair, very nice to stroke, but nowadays it's becoming more and more dry. I restrict her to washing her hair only once a day, as I think any more than that is very bad (any less and it stinks). Is this appropriate?

Also, should a 7-yr-old use conditioner? About once or twice a month I will steal (oops) a drop (about the size of a pea) of my wife's conditioner to use on my DD's hair. I can feel its effect immediately but again, I have never been sure if all these modern chemicals do more harm or good to our hair.
Last edited by sashimi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Dry Hair

Postby buds » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Heyya sashimi,

Interesting post... hmmm...
I had my first perm (forced by mum cos my hair was too thin - she
said) @ mid Sec 1. It turned out horrible unfortunately, cos it was
toooooo curly my fringe looked like curry puff!

Aniwaes, as for the dry hair part... i wanna share that when my P2
last went for a haircut at a neighbourhood salon, the stylist said her
hair was very dry and frizzy. His first question was, "Does she go
swimming?" I said yes.. He continued, "Can tell... from the texture
of her hair." I asked him what i shud do, whether need rebonding or
a hair spa... heheh... He said that there are good and cheap shampoos
for children for after swim shower. I tried one and her hair texture is
not so bad now. So, in my P2 case it was probably the swimming that
aggravated the dry hair.

P2's hair is thick, very thick. So i dun think a perm is in consideration
for a long time.... Lest, it might turn out too afro!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Dry Hair

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:38 pm

buds wrote:He said that there are good and cheap shampoos
for children for after swim shower. I tried one and her hair texture is
not so bad now. So, in my P2 case it was probably the swimming that
aggravated the dry hair.

buds,
care to share the brand?
TIA

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

After Swim Shampoo

Postby buds » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 am

Heyya jedamum,

I've finished the last bottle but i shud think its Loreal.
Blue bottle with orange flip-cap. Very fragrant scent!
I saw it by chance at one of the Sheng Siong stores.
Can't remember price right now, but definitely below
S$10.00 ( I will check again just to be sure, ok... )

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks! I mentioned to sashimi before that our DD can use my conditioner so not need to steal. :roll: and to apply only a little or at the ends. my own hair was actually very oily at scalp and hair itself until after many times of dyeing and perming.

i permed it cos it was rather thin and lacked volume. DH suggested that perming it would make it look better and it did. If DD should ask about dyeing and perming, I'll just ask her to wait till she's older and can take care of her hair totally by herself. Now, she is still relying on others to comb and tie and bun up (for ballet).

insider, if DD asks for dyed hair at 13, I will say no due to school rules. But when she's older, as long as she chooses a shade that doesn't clash with her skin tones and her job/studies, AND she pays for it herself, she can go ahead with it. Of course, she will bear the consequences if anything doesn't go as planned.

She already has pierced ears. She saw my pierced ears and also the pierced ears of all her older female relatives and a few of her peers and asked for it repeatedly over 6-12 months. I did explain to her that pain and patient care do come along with the pretty earrings. She accepted and we chose a reputable shop (with excellent after sales service) to do it. She did suffer from infections and extreme pain but she bore it all bravely. Now, she is content to just wear what her ears were pierced with since attempts to wear other (not so expensive and therefore, not so proper quality) earrings have caused infections.

If DD wishes for more than 1 hole per ear, she can do so provided same conditions as above for dyeing hair. Oh, and must be stylish and tasteful. (I personally have 2 holes per ear. :wink: )

DD doesn't use kiddy shampoos cos they don't do a good job of keeping her hair stink-free till the next wash. I'll check the 2-in-1 shampoos but I'm doubtful cos based on personal experience, they didn't clean my hair that well (and effectiveness also deteriorates in the long run).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby barney » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 am

Hi, can I check is it normal for a kid's hair to 'drop' (sorry, I can't think of the correct word to use). My P1 gal has long and fine hair and I've noticed there's a fair amount hair on her pillow and bed over the weekend and my fear was confirmed when I comb her hair after wash, there'll be strands of hair coming off, even when her hair is dry and I comb through it casually using my hand.

I remember hearing from someone when I was in my teens or early twenties that it's normal to lose about 100 strands of hair a day but is it normal for a kid her age?

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:52 pm

barney wrote:Hi, can I check is it normal for a kid's hair to 'drop' (sorry, I can't think of the correct word to use). My P1 gal has long and fine hair and I've noticed there's a fair amount hair on her pillow and bed over the weekend and my fear was confirmed when I comb her hair after wash, there'll be strands of hair coming off, even when her hair is dry and I comb through it casually using my hand.

I remember hearing from someone when I was in my teens or early twenties that it's normal to lose about 100 strands of hair a day but is it normal for a kid her age?

If compared to my P1 DD, that doesn't sound normal. My DD doesn't drop much hair. Maybe you can check your gals' diet, shampoo, activities, etc.?

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 pm

My child has very long shiny hair. She uses Kodomo baby shampoo with vitamin B5 and Chamomile. After washing, I also use the Wellaform cream for her hair. Weekdays tie up hair for school...weekends where possible, let it down to "rest". Her teachers always ask me why her hair is so nice and silky, I suppose the products play a part.
She swims with a cap all the time(I suppose all children do?), so the damage is not so bad.

Postby sashimi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm

ks2me wrote:My child has very long shiny hair. She uses Kodomo baby shampoo with vitamin B5 and Chamomile. After washing, I also use the Wellaform cream for her hair. Weekdays tie up hair for school...weekends where possible, let it down to "rest". Her teachers always ask me why her hair is so nice and silky, I suppose the products play a part.

Oh must try! Thanks for the recommendation!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:43 pm

sashimi wrote:
ks2me wrote:My child has very long shiny hair. She uses Kodomo baby shampoo with vitamin B5 and Chamomile. After washing, I also use the Wellaform cream for her hair. Weekdays tie up hair for school...weekends where possible, let it down to "rest". Her teachers always ask me why her hair is so nice and silky, I suppose the products play a part.

Oh must try! Thanks for the recommendation!

Er, I think it's the Wellaform cream that does the trick hor. So you wanna try, you go buy. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health