All About Health Insurance

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

All About Health Insurance

Postby luvmum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 am

Original Title: Any good AVIVA agent to recommend?

Intend to purchase the Healthshield plan where both my kids can be FOC should both me and my hubby are covered. Wonder if you have any good and reliable AVIVA agent that you can recommend to me. Thanks much! :love:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Any good AVIVA agent to recommend?

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

:| do you have a regular insurance agent in the first place? if yes, you can ask him/her to recommend you one too. my regular manulife financial planner process our Aviva insurance for us.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kktan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm

my wife is an insurance broker.

if u want i can check with her

kktan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby luvmum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I've got AIA agent. U mean I can go through my agent to purchase AVIVA insurance? :?

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:53 pm

luvmum wrote:I've got AIA agent. U mean I can go through my agent to purchase AVIVA insurance? :?

hm...maybe there is a difference between agent and broker and financial planner...i really don't know.
my manulife financial planner has friends selling other 'brands' of insurance, so she recommends it to us and process it for us - bonus service maybe? :wink:
maybe you can get your AIA agent (if you are familiar with him/her and trust him/her) to see if he/she can introduce any agent selling aviva stuff.
my prudential agent....never seen her for the past many years. :P

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 pm

AIA agent can only sell AIA products/services.
Same for others like GE, Prudential agents.

Financial Planners are from independent companies. But they can represent some of the smaller insurance companies like Manualife, AVIVA and thus sell their medical & life plans (ie those without cash value at end of term).

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Some also sell AIA plan...which have a pretty good health plan...even cover pregnancy complications it seems . But for Aviva, one of the health plan covers the kid for free if both mum and dad take the same plan.

But for Aviva plan, don't need agent...can just go to DBS bank or go online to apply, I think.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ZacK » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 pm

jedamum wrote:hm...maybe there is a difference between agent and broker and financial planner...i really don't know.
my manulife financial planner has friends selling other 'brands' of insurance, so she recommends it to us and process it for us - bonus service maybe? :wink:
maybe you can get your AIA agent (if you are familiar with him/her and trust him/her) to see if he/she can introduce any agent selling aviva stuff.
my prudential agent....never seen her for the past many years. :P

Agents can represent only one life insurer (manufacturers of your life, endowment, investment-link etc policies) and up to 3 general insurers (manufacturers of your car, home, commercial, maid etc policies). In the case of your manulife agent, it's because Manulife has a strategic tie-up to market Aviva Healthshield products. That is why your Manulife agent is able to help you apply for your Aviva healthshield.

Brokers are tied to a particular financial advisory firm or brokerage. And depending on which life insurers and general insurers their firms have tie-ups with, these brokers would then be able to market the insurance products from insurers that they have an arrangement with. Thus brokers will tell you that they are "unbias" as they are able to help you compare products across 2 and more insurance companies.

There is a professional body that manages the use of the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) title, agents or brokers must fulfill the Education, Examination, Experience and Ethics requirements before they are allowed to use the title. Although some agents or brokers may use the term financial planner loosely to typify the type of work they do or endeavour to do.

Hope this helps to explain the differences.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 am

ZacK wrote:Hope this helps to explain the differences.

:|
it certainly will help...but my mind wondered off in the midst of reading it.... :wink: *joking*
am not a financial person cos my definition of financial security is keep everything in the bank! :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

jedamum wrote:
ZacK wrote:Hope this helps to explain the differences.

:|
it certainly will help...but my mind wondered off in the midst of reading it.... :wink: *joking*
am not a financial person cos my definition of financial security is keep everything in the bank! :wink:

Haha it's alright... This was the industry I was in for the past decade. So know a little thing or two that's all. I've since moved up the "food chain" :P

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health