Laohuayan or Presbyopia - Options?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Laohuayan or Presbyopia - Options?

Postby sporemum » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm

I am shortsighted around 300-400 degrees and developing laohuayan or presbyopia. I find I cant read well at the end of the day Or after a heavy bout of near work.

Was told that I hv the following options:
1. Have 2 pairs of glasses. One to see far, One reading glasses (sharp vision for both near, far but troublesome)
2. Progressive lenses
3. Wear back contact lenses. and Use reading glasses. (this one also for vanity!)

TO the optician, 1 is the best as gives best vision for far and near. But obviously its troublesome. He says progressive lenses do not correct fully for either far or near, so that there is no huge change in power. I have a friend who also told me the same thing ie the progressive lenses may not correct fully and end up still lifting glasses to read. On top of that i think there is an adjustmt period for progressive lenses. I also fear that progessive lenses may end up with many frequent changes cos eyesight deteriorates. And they are more expensive.

Anyone with experience on the lao hua yan problem ?For those using progressive lenses, do u hv the symptoms of not sharp visions / adjustmt prob or need to change frequently? Thanks.

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 pm

May I ask how old are you?
I think I have a similar problem. I wear glasses since young. Probably last year onwards, I realised I need to remove my glasses when I read books or surf internet. I can see the words better without my glasses. However, I still need my glasses to drive as I can't see far.
Is this the so-called lao hua yan ?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10120
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 am
Total Likes: 23


Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I made a pair of progessive lens specs recently. Still wearing my normal shortsightedness specs while I am out of the hse. If I need to read food labels, I will just pull down my specs. Why not wear my progressive lens specs? I find the adjusting up-down while looking far, then looking near still hard to adapt to- I get blur vision at times. So I am putting this progressive specs at home now.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23239
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby pixiedust » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 pm

I am using option 3, just that instead of contact lenses, I had lasik done.

Just made my reading glasses 1month ago. I procrastinate but really can't take it anymore as my eyes were really tired especially after reading paperbacks or computer time.

A few friends made progressive lens, initially take some time to adjust and had funny problems like floor looks unbalanced etc but eventually all adjusted.

As for reading glasses, initially also feel a bit giddy but adjusted within 1 day. Problem is now I totally can't live without it for near work.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby jtoh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Do you normally wear contacts or glasses?

If you normally wear contacts, then all you need is to get a pair of reading glasses for near sight work.

If you usually wear glasses, then depending on severity of your lao hua yan, you can just take off your regular glasses when you need to read. I have friends who use progressive and have no problems with it.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91



Presbyopia

Postby JR » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:44 pm

I have 2 pairs of glasses, a progressive one and a reading glass. My experience with progressive is that the area of vision for near work is rather small and thus you need to adjust your head or your reading material to ensure that things are in focus. I do still have to lift up the glasses when I need to read food labels or very small print. As such it is not as comfortable as using the reading glass for near work. The progressive is useful if you need to say attend a seminar where you need to see near and far objects, it saves you the trouble of bringing 2 pairs of glasses. However, if your eyes get strained/tired very easily (weak muscles) then it might be better to use just the reading glass for near work.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I am in a the same boat as JR. I have two pairs of specs, a progressive one for normal outdoor activites and a pair of reading specs strictly for reading.

Have been wearing specs since I was 18 and changed to progressive about 5 to 8 years back. No regrets since, but problem with progressive is that it is not very good or comfortable for reading, so in order to read comfortably, I still would resort to my reading glasess. The progressive serves as a temporary measure when I am out and when I need to read small prints, and when I do not have my reading specs with me, but even that, sometimes for certain things, I find it more comfortable to take it off then to have it on.

Find that my eye sight has deteriorated very quickly in recent years. Used to be able to watch TV without my specs on, but lately, have to put on my glasses even to watch TV and when I use my 14" laptop, I have to wear my reading glasses, otherwise, very difficult to concentrate. I am okay with my 22" PC monitor though.
Guest
 

Postby qms » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:05 am

25hourmaid wrote:Find that my eye sight has deteriorated very quickly in recent years. Used to be able to watch TV without my specs on, but lately, have to put on my glasses even to watch TV and when I use my 14" laptop, I have to wear my reading glasses, otherwise, very difficult to concentrate. I am okay with my 22" PC monitor though.


:idea: Too much time spent on KSP.com?

Another sign of addiction to KSP.com? :evil:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
 
Posts: 10976
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am
Total Likes: 12


Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:37 am

qms wrote: :idea: Too much time spent on KSP.com?

Another sign of addiction to KSP.com? :evil:


:idea: You could be right! :slapshead: How come I didn't think of that! :lol: :lol:
Guest
 

Postby jtoh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:46 am

25hourmaid wrote:I am in a the same boat as JR. I have two pairs of specs, a progressive one for normal outdoor activites and a pair of reading specs strictly for reading.

Have been wearing specs since I was 18 and changed to progressive about 5 to 8 years back. No regrets since, but problem with progressive is that it is not very good or comfortable for reading, so in order to read comfortably, I still would resort to my reading glasess. The progressive serves as a temporary measure when I am out and when I need to read small prints, and when I do not have my reading specs with me, but even that, sometimes for certain things, I find it more comfortable to take it off then to have it on.

Find that my eye sight has deteriorated very quickly in recent years. Used to be able to watch TV without my specs on, but lately, have to put on my glasses even to watch TV and when I use my 14" laptop, I have to wear my reading glasses, otherwise, very difficult to concentrate. I am okay with my 22" PC monitor though.


Your myopia must be quite low if you can watch TV comfortably without specs on previously.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Next

Return to Health