Phimosis / Tight Foreskin / Circumcision

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Phimosis / Tight Foreskin / Circumcision

Postby ZacK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Original Title: Is this normal?

Hmmm how should I put it... This has puzzled me for the past few yrs and decided to post here to obtain some info... Rather than for me to go peep at some small boys peeing at the toilet :faint: :roll:

When my son was 3, his pediatrician suggested that whenever we shower him, we should try to pull back his foreskin as his foreskin is not retractable and there is a risk of infection. His foreskin has a small pee hole that still allows his urine to be passed out but does not allow us to clean it adequately when he showers. I remembered that she (Pedia) also mentioned that there might be a need to consider having him circumcised to prevent the risk of infection.

Anyway, my boy is coming to 6 this year... And as you would have guess, his condition is still pretty much the same. He would scream and yelp whenever I attempt to errrm help him retract his foreskin. I do not want to consider circumcision (let's not go into the pros and cons of the procedure, as I feel it's very subjective and definitely sort of a personal preference) as it's something permanent and would rather he decide for himself when he is much older.

Anyway so far, we have managed fine without having to make that ultimate decision as he has not had any infection to date :xedfingers: ... And I seem to be having selective amnesia and cant recall what it was for me i.e. When exactly did I "open" up :oops: or it was supposed to be open from day one?

Wondering if there are parents with boys having the same problem? Any cause for concern? Or just be totally reactive and not do anything until something does happen? :pray:

Thanks.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Is this normal?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:46 pm

ZacK wrote:...This has puzzled me for the past few yrs and decided to post here to obtain some info... Rather than for me to go peep at some small boys peeing at the toilet :faint: :roll: ...

Hmm... yes, an excellent question that begs further investigation. Good to restraint yourself from the urge of glancing over your shoulder in the toilet at little boys. Too easily misconstrued for something else :rotflmao:

This is an interesting case study. A discussion of a male problem in a mixed forum. Unlike the ladies, us guys are not so open discussing our, um, innerworkings even amongst ourselves. Yes you are right... we seem to have selective amnesia of what happened to ourselves when we were young. To us, it just happened. Nothing more to talk about it. Better to forget and move on. Let's open it to the ladies to tell us if they think it is worth their while to peel away the layers of mystery to this problem.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Is this normal?

Postby ZacK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:08 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ZacK wrote:...This has puzzled me for the past few yrs and decided to post here to obtain some info... Rather than for me to go peep at some small boys peeing at the toilet :faint: :roll: ...

Hmm... yes, an excellent question that begs further investigation. Good to restraint yourself from the urge of glancing over your shoulder in the toilet at little boys. Too easily misconstrued for something else :rotflmao:

This is an interesting case study. A discussion of a male problem in a mixed forum. Unlike the ladies, us guys are not so open discussing our, um, innerworkings even amongst ourselves. Yes you are right... we seem to have selective amnesia of what happened to ourselves when we were young. To us, it just happened. Nothing more to talk about it. Better to forget and move on. Let's open it to the ladies to tell us if they think it is worth their while to peel away the layers of mystery to this problem.

Hahaha I guess the only thing that guys tend to keep a secret is when it's regarding our errmmm... innerworkings :oops:

Btw I should qualify, my son's condition that I'm referring to is his rate of urine passing out from the urethra is faster than the rate that it's being released from his foreskin... Which invariably causes his penis to balloon up when he is peeing and then deflats again when it's finally released thru his foreskin.

Thanks.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksmama » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Zack, your kid has phimosis, a condition where the foreskin opening is small and the foreskin cannot be retracted fully to fully expose the penile head. Your kid is approaching 6 and it would remain so.
Some kids get repeated infection because of this and this would of course mean circumcision should be considered early. If they do not get any problems with infection, then they could of course wait till much older, even into their adulthood to do the op. However, a paediatric surgeon has once told me the longer they wait, the post op healing may take longer in some cases because of greater exudative reaction.
Anyway my 2 boys both went through it. 1st one cos he had 2 infections, the 2nd time it was so painful for him that he screamed and cried and refused to pass urine until it leaked out onto the floor. He guai guai went for the op at 6 and he took it really well. My 2nd boy had no infection but I told him to imagine himself not bathing for 7 years and that was what it was like down there and how disgusting that thought was. Anyway he managed to be bribed :wink:
He cried a little at home the following post op day but after that, he took the rest of the healing period well.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm

ksmama wrote:Hi Zack, your kid has phimosis, a condition where the foreskin opening is small and the foreskin cannot be retracted fully to fully expose the penile head. Your kid is approaching 6 and it would remain so...

Fantastic! Err... not that I'm happy at ZacK's son possibly having phimosis, but that we managed to "diagnose" the condition in half an hour. ZacK, you should probably take ksmama's advice and get your son to seek the professional medical opinion of pediatricians.
ksmama, you were spouting medical terms such as "exudative reaction" like a pro. Are you a medical doctor yourself? :love:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ZacK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 am

ksmama wrote:Hi Zack, your kid has phimosis, a condition where the foreskin opening is small and the foreskin cannot be retracted fully to fully expose the penile head. Your kid is approaching 6 and it would remain so.
Some kids get repeated infection because of this and this would of course mean circumcision should be considered early. If they do not get any problems with infection, then they could of course wait till much older, even into their adulthood to do the op. However, a paediatric surgeon has once told me the longer they wait, the post op healing may take longer in some cases because of greater exudative reaction.
Anyway my 2 boys both went through it. 1st one cos he had 2 infections, the 2nd time it was so painful for him that he screamed and cried and refused to pass urine until it leaked out onto the floor. He guai guai went for the op at 6 and he took it really well. My 2nd boy had no infection but I told him to imagine himself not bathing for 7 years and that was what it was like down there and how disgusting that thought was. Anyway he managed to be bribed :wink:
He cried a little at home the following post op day but after that, he took the rest of the healing period well.

Hi ksmama, thanks for sharing your sons' experience and for the enlightenment. :goodpost:

I do understand the considerations and inconveniences present if one were to go for the op later. Sigh guess I'd still keep my fingers crossed that my son will not get any infection. Cos the condition is not life threatening and even if an infection were to occur, there is a known remedy... Only thing is the discomfort that my son will have to go thru either ways... :cry:

Btw do you know if there is a possibility that the condition would resolve by itself naturally? Thanks.
Last edited by ZacK on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ksmama wrote:Hi Zack, your kid has phimosis, a condition where the foreskin opening is small and the foreskin cannot be retracted fully to fully expose the penile head. Your kid is approaching 6 and it would remain so...

Fantastic! Err... not that I'm happy at ZacK's son possibly having phimosis, but that we managed to "diagnose" the condition in half an hour. ZacK, you should probably take ksmama's advice and get your son to seek the professional medical opinion of pediatricians.
ksmama, you were spouting medical terms such as "exudative reaction" like a pro. Are you a medical doctor yourself? :love:

Hahaha no worries, I won't take it as an attempt to "hit" me under the belt ... Ouch :P

Btw for the benefit of the rest, cos I had to consult the dictionary :?: in relation to "exudative reaction"

exudation
noun
1. a substance that oozes out from plant pores [syn: exudate]
2. the process of exuding; the slow escape of liquids from blood vessels through pores or breaks in the cell membranes
Last edited by ZacK on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Circumcision

Postby buds » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:00 am

ksmama wrote:However, a paediatric surgeon has once told me the longer they wait, the post op healing may take longer in some cases because of greater exudative reaction.

Yes, thats very right.
That's why, some of my friends
have their baby boys have circumcision
done at infancy stage even. It will heal
faster esp when the pee-pee is smaller
compared to a grown man's... and way
easier to clean..

I have 2 brothers who went thru different
procedures of circumcision compared to
my dad's time. Its a swift procedure now
and what with our advance anaesthetic
choices, the immediate pain is more like
a sting at first... followed by numbness,
then, the acidic pain during washing or
showers (which helps the healing) then,
POP, out comes the ring. (My bro's time
they had rings-dunno how abt now)

If they allow full sleep mode during the
circumcision process ala epidural for women
during childbirth, all the better..

But like they say, no pain no gain..
Heard the gain part is, upon adulthood...
intercourse is more pleasurable than an
un-circumcised one. Cud be a myth, i dunno.
Or simply hearsay, to get other boys join in
the wagon.

Yes, i agree. Time to have a deep talk with the
PD soon. Can't imagine the poor boy getting
infections cos of it.. (touchwood) Will be too
heartbreaking for me to go thru... if i had a son.

Old people say, circumcised penises heal better
after a dip in salty sea water... Another myth,
i dunno. But my bro's ring came off after our
picnic trip to the beach. Not in the sea water!
In the toilet at home!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Circumcision

Postby ZacK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:15 am

buds wrote:I have 2 brothers who went thru different
procedures of circumcision compared to
my dad's time. Its a swift procedure now
and what with our advance anaesthetic
choices, the immediate pain is more like
a sting at first... followed by numbness,
then, the acidic pain during washing or
showers (which helps the healing) then,
POP, out comes the ring. (My bro's time
they had rings-dunno how abt now)

If they allow full sleep mode during the
circumcision process ala epidural for women
during childbirth, all the better..

Wow you know every detail... I'm impressed!

buds wrote:But like they say, no pain no gain..
the wagon.

Hahaha wonder if this will become a famous phrase... I do not wish to be drawn into this discussion LOL :!: Anyway the responses would not be conclusive unless you have a large enough sample of men who had intercourse before and after circumcision to give you their feedback :|

buds wrote:Old people say, circumcised penises heal better
In the toilet at home!

Hearsay from dad? :P

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Circumcision

Postby buds » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 am

ZacK,

I'm the eldest! Being a chieh-chieh does not mean i'm outta the
picture even when it comes to innerworkings stuff like that...
More like bo-pien.. I was at their beck and call with a shake of
a tiny bell - yup - like a lady butler. And yes, i had to clean and
apply the cream too..

Naaah, think ksmama more pro on this.
And she makes it sound so steady-pom-pee-pee..
No fuss decisions and post-care. I salute her for that. :salute:

buds wrote:But like they say, no pain no gain..
the wagon.

ZacK wrote:Hahaha wonder if this will become a famous phrase... I do not wish to be drawn into this discussion LOL :!: Anyway the responses would not be conclusive unless you have a large enough sample of men who had intercourse before and after circumcision to give you their feedback :|

Oh-hell-NO! Let's not go deep in there, brader!
I wouldn't go down that road me-self! Nah-ah!
No way, hosei! :siam:

buds wrote:Old people say, circumcised penises heal better
In the toilet at home!

ZacK wrote:Hearsay from dad? :P

Nope, from grand-daddie.. uncles.. aunties who
gone thru' it with other cousins... etc

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health