Changes in a 1.5 year old diet

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Changes in a 1.5 year old diet

Postby new_mummy » Sun May 15, 2011 10:28 am

Three days ago, my 1.5 year old son suddenly refuses to eat his usual cereals and porridge, no matter how we cook or coax him. As long as he tasted them, he spit it all out and make a funny face at us.

He only like to eat our biscuits and our white bread. last night i tried to make macaroni for him (for a change) and again, he spit them out!

This is worrisome because those food that we eat lacks nutrients for babies his age. How to coax him to eat his fish or pork porridge again?

anyone got such similar experience with such a young baby??

:cry:

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Changes in a 1.5 year old diet

Postby Canvas » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

It's quite normal especially when the child is teething or getting sick of the same food. You can try making noodle soup (mee sua is good) or spaghetti (cut small). Do let the child explore different food and don't be too stressed out if the child does not like the food, just supplement with milk and ty another food the next mealtime.

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sgmom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm having similar issues, and had same with my older child around the same age (1.5 yrs).

They get sick of eating the same thing with the same texture. My daughter suddenly refused porridge and never touched it again.

Try giving him foods he can self-feed with. Get him a small plastic fork, cut stuff up and let him go at it! Roast chicken and roast veg is easy to make and soft to eat. You can get baby recipe books like Annabel Karmel's series, which give ideas for 'finger food" that baby can manage on his own.

Also, try getting him OFF the follow on formula. Do you know that in Canada this stuff doesn't even exist? People just go to cow's milk at 1 year old. Formula is very filling --extra carbs and stuff -- and kids don't feel that hungry and are less interested in moving onto solid foods or feeding themselves. In Asia, these companies prey on insecurities and market this stuff like crazy; but you should know that in some parts of the world nobody uses follow on formula at all!

When I took my older daughter off formula (at 18 months) her appetite shot right up and she began eating more solids, and bigger portions too.

Don't let that stuff become a crutch! They don't eat, so you fall back on formula.. so they don't eat.. and on and on.

good luck!

sgmom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby smartmummy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm

yeah,its normal.You have to give table food.Your son ready to eat your food.You can give your food but it has to be deep cooked one.This time you can introduce various food.If you start a food then for a weak you have to continue.Introduce one food at a time.You can give boiled egg.Did you introduce egg?If not give 2 spoon first,then slowly increase.cooked potatoe smash can give.Apple cooked or raw can.All veg and fruit can give.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby linden2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 am

I am also facing the same issues. Very fussy eater but mine has never even really started on porridge. Just keeps spitting up n after trying out all sorts of porridge, I have sort of given up on porridge,

But he enjoys eating food off my plate. So what we do is put him in baby chair at the dining table during dinnertime. Feed him food that has been put aside for him on my plate, eg vegetables, pasta, bits of rice, chicken, etc. Guess he likes to feel involved. We also give him his spoon and bowl with a little bit of food for him to try scooping. He enjoys that and genuinely attempts to put the food in his mouth or he just uses his fingers. But have to be prepared to clean up a little after that.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sgmom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi

For great tips on how to get your baby/toddler to eat, please read this blog post! Tips provided by expert here in Singapore who deals with fussy eaters!
http://sneezywheezy.com/?p=1002

sgmom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Health