Regular PAP smears are essential

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Regular PAP smears are essential

Postby CMF » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Just wanted to share with all the importance of having a regular PAP smear. Recent incidents in my family highlighted this.

My mum in her 70s had a prolapse problem, following a visit to a gynaecologist to fit a device to address the problem, he advised her to do a PAP smear, which she had not done for years, always thinking that because of her age it was unnecessary.

The PAP smear results indicated that apart from a severe infection (of which she had no symptoms), there were also pre-cancerous cells. She immediately had surgery to remove her womb, and effectively this addressed / removed the issue of the infection, pre-cancerous cells etc, including her prolapse problem. She is fully recovered and well now.

Following her visit, my SIL who similarly had not had a PAP smear for years, did one and also a womb scan. It was discovered that she had many cysts growing, which if not taken out now would have grown to be more serious. She has had surgery and is also well & recovered now.

Since then all of us female members in the family, have gone for PAP smears, womb scans and also taken the HPV jab (Gardasil) - which is a vaccine against 4 types of HPV. HPV is a virus which can cause cervical cancer / warts.

Whilst recovering in the hospital, my SIL had a room mate in her early 30s, who had all along been healthy and well, no symptoms at all. But recently had some abdominal pain, and upon having a PAP smear and scan, discovered that she had a growth which was malignant. She has to have surgery and follow-up chemotherapy.

I am sharing the above, as I would like to remind everyone, whether female or male, to ensure that you and your female loved ones have a regular PAP smear, as this very simple test can save lives! It can be done at a GP or gynaecologist, and the fee is not costly, especially if it detects early anything abnormal or even just for one to have a peace of mind. At the gynaecologist, we paid appx $240/- for a PAP smear & scan and $450/- for the Gardasil jab (3 jabs over 6 months)

So please, please make that appointment now for a PAP smear for yourself and / or loved ones!!
Last edited by CMF on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Regular PAP smears are essential

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing...good reminder for all the women.

Postby BlurBee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Free Pap Smear Screening @ Singapore Cancer Society

http://www.singaporecancersociety.org.s ... eaflet.pdf

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby yqyq » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm

thank you for sharing.

glad that my GP will call to remind me when due of the yearly Pap smear screening

yqyq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby UncleLim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Ladies, if you are uncomfortable about a male doctor examining you and doing the pap smear test, you can always look for a female GP or gynecologist to do it. Do not put it off just because your regular doctor is male.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby yippee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 am

Ladies, just check with you. Do you use feminine wash? Is it ok to use daily? Will it cause cancer?

yippee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dovetail » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:42 pm

I dread this pap smear test. Have put it off for donkey years. My dd tutor just diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. She was a very healthy and bubbly woman. Now on chemo and also eventually need a hysterectomy. I'll be going for test and scan this coming Monday. I hope I'm okay.

What's an appropriate age for girls to take the vaccination? Is it effective for life?

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby CMF » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 am

There are currently two vaccines in the market, Cervarix & Gardasil. The recommended age to obtain the vaccine is stated to be from aged 9 or 11, depending on which vaccine. Your GP can better advise you on age / vaccine suitability.

Check out following sites for more info :-

http://www.cervarix.com/

http://www.gardasil.com/gardasil-inform ... index.html

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dovetail » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

CMF,
:thankyou:

For the links.

dovetail