Flu Vaccine - for the big exam?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Flu Vaccine - for the big exam?

Postby westmom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:02 am

Hi fellow parents...My friend recommended that I should get my daughter (taking PSLE this year) jabbed to prevent her from falling sick during PSLE. I am quite reluctant to do it as I came across negative reports about it in the web. So far she was only jabbed once in K1 (i think it was the SARs year) and none after that. I had the jab too at the same time and I fell quite ill some months later so I did not really have a good feeling about it. What's your take about it? Can share your experience?

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm

My personal take:

If you don't feel good about it, don't do it. Don't feel pressured or compelled to get a jab just because others are doing it and all the GPs plaster posters on their clinic glass walls implying that you will suffer if you don't.

Personally, I don't believe in any one-size-fits-all kind of health-related recommendations. I think flu jabs work for some people (for any number of reasons from it actually works to psychological effects), and won't work for others. It never made a difference with my DD (we tried it once).

On the other hand, abandoning cough syrups, cold syrups and paying $38 for every trip to the GP to get a subscription I can write myself - and focusing on common sense health tips + some experimentation with supplements - made all the difference for my family.

My advice is: get enough sleep, drink lots of plain water, avoid cold drinks, and take a daily dose of DHA/cod liver oil + natural honey. This worked for me. It reduced my DD's original rate of illness (once every other month, once lasting 10 weeks) to almost negligible.

Although I know it's difficult to ask everyone to get enough sleep (a laughable idea in today's workaholic world), and everyone knows fried food and soft drinks are bad - I realize the one thing I can recommend is the DHA+honey. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't - but consider it and give it a try. Vitamin C, btw, is totally overrated and useless, imho.

Actually in the first place, are you concerned because your daughter falls ill often? If so, one initial step is to examine her habits/lifestyle - eg. does she sleep in aircon every night? Does she drink cold drinks every day? Does she get very little rest even when sick? Is it stress from school?

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Poonie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:03 pm

You said you fell quite ill after having that jab. That should answer your question.

New strains of influenza viruses appear and replace older strains. When a new strain of human influenza virus emerges, antibody protection that may have developed after vaccination with an older strain may not provide protection against the new strain.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ZacK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 am

My personal take which I told the pedia... I'm not for injecting too much or unnecessarily... With my new born other than the usual jabs (which come in 5 in 1 and also 6 in 1 injections) we were also informed of jabs against diarrhea, influenza etc...

My rule of thumb is:
1. if the illness will not be life threatening or debilitating, then I will choose not to take the injection but let the body defend itself.
2. for the mandatory injections, I would choose the "de-bundled" simplified form, which currently to my understanding is 3 in 1. You will hardly find any manufacturers that produce jabs for single illness.

Just my personal preference.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Personally, I swear by the flu shot. For as long as it lasts, I'm normally impervious to all kinds of flu bugs. I know the moment it "wears off" after a year when I start catching colds again.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby westmom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. There's much debate going on about the pros and cons of the flu shot and I wanted to hear about your experiences with it. I did not have a good experience with it but my dd seems ok with it when she had it in K1. Since then, she has daily doses of fish oil and cactus juice (alternate days) and i think this helps just like what sashimi is advocating. From what I gather some people seem to benefit while others not. I guess it very much depends on your own "body" reaction !

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 pm

ZacK wrote:My personal take which I told the pedia... I'm not for injecting too much or unnecessarily... With my new born other than the usual jabs (which come in 5 in 1 and also 6 in 1 injections) we were also informed of jabs against diarrhea, influenza etc...

got jabs to prevent diarrhoea ah??? din know

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm

phankao wrote: got jabs to prevent diarrhoea ah??? din know

Think its for Rotavirus, that causes commonly know as stomach flu, but more serious and can cause complications for younger children and senior citizens.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clarabella » Tue May 05, 2009 6:00 pm

ZacK wrote:.. for the mandatory injections, I would choose the "de-bundled" simplified form, which currently to my understanding is 3 in 1. You will hardly find any manufacturers that produce jabs for single illness.

Actually, the only mandatory (by law) jabs in Singapore are for [1] diphtheria, and [2] measles. As for single jabs, have lah, there are single jabs available - the only thing is it's difficult for doctors to order them from the pharmaceutical firms if there is insufficient demand.
Last edited by clarabella on Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby clarabella » Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Just a reminder for parents. Before bringing your kids for a jab, please make sure they are absolutely healthy. If they have a mild cold, cough etc, it would be prudent to postpone the trip till they are fully recovered.

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health