Pregnant wifey got a fever flu and soar throat

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Pregnant wifey got a fever flu and soar throat

Postby kelamel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi all,

Wifey today fell ill and went to see a doctor and was told that it was okay to take antibiotics, panadol and cough syrup. The medicine given by the doc are like the same given to any sick patient. We are a bit concerned that the med may harm the foetus as shes just 6 weeks preggy.

Have anyone of you fell sick and took medicine ? or were given special medicine :?

thanks

Kelvin

kelamel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mommyNg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 am

Hi Kelvin,

The best way is to call and check with your gynae whether it is ok for your pregnant wife to take the medicine as prescribed. And do it NOW! Was the doctor aware that your wife is pregnant?

I had a fever when I was pregnant with my second child a few years back, prob around 7-8 weeks. I didn't call my gynae but I talked to my pharmacy (Pharm D.) friend and she said the best is not to take any medication and let the fever wear out. I should have called my gynae, but I didn't, and I thought yeah, maybe I should just wear the fever out. Then my fever went away, but only after experiencing some chills in the night of the fever. Then maybe 2-3 days later, I recovered from the fever and I realized I didn't feel morning sickness anymore, and went for my regular gynae checkup, and my gynae found that there was no more heartbeat of the foetus :cry:

I can't say (nor could the gynae) whether it was the fever that cost the life of the foetus, or maybe it was some other abnormality. But I must say, check with your gynae when in doubt - no small matter...

Hope your wife is feeling ok now and the baby is safe.

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Pregnant wifey got a fever flu and soar throat

Postby san76 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 am

Hi,

To get away of the worry is to visit KK hospital. They are the best person to find at any hour if your wife is unwell. 6wks preg, is still considered unstable.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 am

Pls go and see a gynae, a normal GP would not be able to advise unless he/she is very good.

Under 12 weeks, shouldn't be taking any medication, but a gynae would be able to prescribe suitable medicine for preggie.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Check with a gynae to ease your worries, and don't take the medicines until you are very sure.

I had stomach flu when I was breastfeeding and my family GP prescribed a milder form of antibiotics so that I could continue breastfeeding. However, they weren't that effective so in the end, I took the stronger version to get better faster (and with less pain), and I had to switch to formula for a while.

As for panadol, back then, I called my gynae's clinic and the nurses there said okay for breastfeeding. But you better check again cos panadol's formula may have changed after all these years.

Note: Generally, for pregnancy and breastfeeding, it's best to check before taking any medicines AND supplements AND herbal concoctions.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kelamel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for all your advice!

We called our clinic up and we spoke to the nurse and was told that the medicine that wife is taking is safe and could continue taking.

kelamel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kelamel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:32 pm

mommyNg wrote:Hi Kelvin,

The best way is to call and check with your gynae whether it is ok for your pregnant wife to take the medicine as prescribed. And do it NOW! Was the doctor aware that your wife is pregnant?

I had a fever when I was pregnant with my second child a few years back, prob around 7-8 weeks. I didn't call my gynae but I talked to my pharmacy (Pharm D.) friend and she said the best is not to take any medication and let the fever wear out. I should have called my gynae, but I didn't, and I thought yeah, maybe I should just wear the fever out. Then my fever went away, but only after experiencing some chills in the night of the fever. Then maybe 2-3 days later, I recovered from the fever and I realized I didn't feel morning sickness anymore, and went for my regular gynae checkup, and my gynae found that there was no more heartbeat of the foetus :cry:

I can't say (nor could the gynae) whether it was the fever that cost the life of the foetus, or maybe it was some other abnormality. But I must say, check with your gynae when in doubt - no small matter...

Hope your wife is feeling ok now and the baby is safe.

We be going to see the gynae in 2 weeks time. My fren's wife had a miscarriage becos she had dengue....as told by the hospital it was the dengue that caused the loss of the baby and not the panadol...becos with dengue nothing much the docs etc can do for her it seems.

kelamel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Health