rub the eyes

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

rub the eyes

Postby lina_lim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 am

hi
my 2 years daughter recently always rub the eyes very often and blinking the eyes quite a lot, can any one share / know why is it? thanks

lina_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: rub the eyes

Postby tankee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:30 am

could be due to many factors, most probably dry eyes. better seek medical advise asap.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby kiwi68 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 am

could be allergy. Bring her to doc to check la. Prob some prescribed eye drops will do the trick. But pls dun try giving her any OTC eye drops hor. Eyes only one pair, dun play play!

kiwi68
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby LOLMum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:26 am

recently one of ds's eyes was swollen and reddish. thought it would go away after a few days but it got worse.

it was infected and was given antibiotics eye drops. ds love to rub his eyes with his fingers. told him to just gently massage the skin with his finger tip when itchy.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:52 am

a lot of different reasons.

on the extreme side, 'ingrown' eyelashes may also be a factor.
my boy rubs his eye on slight irritation (even when he attempts to wear his specs or googles - psychological stress i guess) and when he is younger, i did noted that a section of his lower eyelash (on 1 eye) always stick to his eyeball early in the morning. now that he has grown bigger and eyelashes slightly longer, this only happens when he has very 'sticky eyes' on sick days.

if the rubbing persists, seek medical attention.
take care.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vfong1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 am

My ds has a bad habit of blinking eyes with more strength. GP doctor said it's his bad habit and we have been asking him to stop doing that. He's blinking that way lesser now and we're still monitor his bad habit.

He said his eyes are sometimes itchy. He just got recovered from eye infection on one eye.

I'm not sure if we should bring him to the optical shop to check his eyes.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cnimed » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 pm

lina_lim wrote:hi
my 2 years daughter recently always rub the eyes very often and blinking the eyes quite a lot, can any one share / know why is it? thanks

many possible reasons, observe to see if there is a pattern with regards to time and environment and activities when it happens.

1. Check the fringe. Is the hair falling near the eyes or touching the eyelashes? (very common cause)
2. Check for signs of inflammation. If yes, go to the pd who will refer you on if necessary.

Some possible causes - sensitive eyes (to dust, may happen after playing with stuffed toys or curtains or entering preschool), dry eyes, ingrown lashes (important to check as it can damage the surface of the eye), sensitivity to light (but may be too young to check, rely on observation).
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Health