Help Needed on picky kid

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Help Needed on picky kid

Postby kxyogpu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi , need some advise .My son's 6 yrs now , but very skinny .small size..he's not eating or sleeping in the childcare. He eats very slow till now ...only occasionally he surprises me ...is his habit ... any good appetite boosters or something like that to recommend or any tips out there :pray: ?

kxyogpu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby bebebub » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 pm

I was told the 四神粉 is suppose to improve appetite. Available in TCM shops like yu ren sheng.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 am
Total Likes: 8


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby kxyogpu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Ya I heard abt that I should try also ....thanks alot

kxyogpu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby ectanz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 pm

kxyogpu wrote:Hi , need some advise .My son's 6 yrs now , but very skinny .small size..he's not eating or sleeping in the childcare. He eats very slow till now ...only occasionally he surprises me ...is his habit ... any good appetite boosters or something like that to recommend or any tips out there :pray: ?

Hi kxyogpu,mine too. :hugs: My dd1 is same age as yr son but her wt is only around 18kgs. She is a fussy eater and I hv tried all sort of supplement to enhance her appetite but without success. She takes abt 40 mins to finish her meal. Normally I will cook something tat she likes n make her eat more. I don't restrict her on any food as long as she likes it.

Hopefully her situation will get improve when she is in P1 next yr.

ectanz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby kxyogpu » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi , ya mine almost same even for weight ... he's small size for his age among his peers actually 40- 1 hr is how he eats .Sigh..........me too I hope will get better when in p1 , but I wonder how when he eats so slow probably will just leave all food behind ..

kxyogpu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby ectanz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 pm

kxyogpu wrote:Hi , ya mine almost same even for weight ... he's small size for his age among his peers actually 40- 1 hr is how he eats .Sigh..........me too I hope will get better when in p1 , but I wonder how when he eats so slow probably will just leave all food behind ..

Ya, I think mine even don't want to order food, juz leave her stomach empty.

For my case, I will cook something tat my dd liked. I will let her try out the taste first to make sure she liked it otherwise she won't eat the whole plate of rice. At home, I will force her to finish the whole plate of rice n then rewarded her with dessert she liked.

ectanz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby coolit » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 am

My daughter used to be a very fussy eater. She is still thin for her age but she is at
least at a healthy weight now. I got this protein shake (for kids) for shakelee that helped
improved her appetite. Stopped for a while now. I am not sure if they still have it.

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby MadScientist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Have you all wondered about a few things?
Maybe starving them would boost the appetite... unconventional, but when kids are hungry, they eat better. That's just my POV anyways.

The other things is... how do these kids eat, under what kind of environment?
Do they eat alone or do they have company... or (worse) have the TV switched on.

I find that eating slow is part of being distracted... so, distractions aside, the kids eat better.

Do your kids eat well outside of home? IF that is the case, then maybe they like a family setting... where parents and whoever else sit at the same table to eat. You know, happy people eat better...

All the best!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby kxyogpu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Actually tried starving him but it doesn't work out ....I think he's happier if no need to eat ... and also he eat worst outside as he knew I will not scold him so sometimes also don't wan to eat much ... but at home I will hv to c that he eats his food ......if any stuff could boost pls let me know ....

kxyogpu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help Needed on picky kid

Postby cimman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 am

MadScientist wrote:Have you all wondered about a few things?
Maybe starving them would boost the appetite... unconventional, but when kids are hungry, they eat better. That's just my POV anyways.

The other things is... how do these kids eat, under what kind of environment?
Do they eat alone or do they have company... or (worse) have the TV switched on.

I find that eating slow is part of being distracted... so, distractions aside, the kids eat better.

Do your kids eat well outside of home? IF that is the case, then maybe they like a family setting... where parents and whoever else sit at the same table to eat. You know, happy people eat better...

All the best!

no need to starve the kid. Just use the body natural function. Get the child to do vigorous exercise. This depletes energy and the body will feel hungry. It is a natural response to depleted energy. Just make sure it is vigorous exercise, a walk in the park is not vigorous exercise. Swimming 40 laps in the pool should do the job, you get the idea.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 am
Total Likes: 3


Next

Return to Health