Hepatitis

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Hepatitis

Postby MdmKS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 am

In Singapore we have our kids jap Hep B at birth immediately. However understand it is not for life time. Just want to find out whether parents you follow-up with Hep B and A blood test and immunization again when they grow older and at what age?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:58 pm

Hiya

At the back of the health booklet issued to them at birth, theres a table that shows you when to do the necessary vaccinations.

Generally for hep vaccination, after every 5 yrs, a blood test should be done to determine if a booster shot would be needed.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:41 pm

MLR wrote:Hiya

At the back of the health booklet issued to them at birth, theres a table that shows you when to do the necessary vaccinations.

Generally for hep vaccination, after every 5 yrs, a blood test should be done to determine if a booster shot would be needed.

Do most parents here follow-up with the 5 yrs test? It seems not so common yet.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Hepatitis Jabs

Postby carebear » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 pm

insider wrote:Need to bring my two kids and myself for the jabs.

Enquired the cost in Raffles Medical Group that I find a bit on the high side for their Twinrix Hep A and B combined jab:

Doc consultation and blood test: $116
Per Jab: $84.60 (need 3 jabs so times 3)

Total for one pax is about $396 (incl GST). 3 of us will cost a cool close to S$1,200...

Anyone just been to Hep jabs and can share the cost with me please?

PS: Recently heard of three friends diagnosed Hep B positive and so think better go for the jabs and don't play play (I eat quite a bit of oyster kind of food whenever I have the chance...) Daughter's will also need the jab if she is going for her overseas attachment and so think high time to bring them for testing and re-jab if necessary (both jabbed after birth but immunity likely to have expired by now).

If you are just considering Hep B jab (without Hep A), it is medisave decuctible. You can enquire it at the polyclinic.

If your kids are born in Singapore, chances are that they have been immunized against Hep B at birth. You can do a blood test to see if they have sufficient immunity, which should be the case as HepB immunity after a vaccine last very long.

BTW, Hep B is not transmitted by eating raw food and shell fish.
It is Hep A. Hep A immunity usually lasts a lifetime.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby krazy » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

so glad i chance upon this.

am worried too. my girl is 5 now and according to her health booklet she has gone for all the vaccinations. all except the booster. and then i learned that booster jabs are only given to children whose mothers are hep b carriers.

am confused.

think i will go to the doc one day and clarify this matter.

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby carebear » Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 am

krazy wrote:so glad i chance upon this.

am worried too. my girl is 5 now and according to her health booklet she has gone for all the vaccinations. all except the booster. and then i learned that booster jabs are only given to children whose mothers are hep b carriers.

am confused.

think i will go to the doc one day and clarify this matter.

If you are referring to Hepatitis B, then there is no booster in the immunization schedule for children.
If you are worried that her immunity might be low, then bring her for a blood test.

Usually the body will generate antibodies when the immunity becomes low in the case for hep B. However if there is a family member with Hep B in the same household, then the immunity should be above 100 for it to be protective.
So if got close contact with Hep B positive, then should check immunity level to see if still protective.

No, Hep B booster not given to babies of Hepatitis B mother. They receive a kind of immunoglobulin at birth instead. Their Hep B vaccines thereafter are similar to other babies.

Hope this is helpful.
But do go to your doctor to clarify the matter.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby krazy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 am

Thank you Carebear, for the information.

I am worried because we have a relative who is a carrier but unfortunately, isn't mindful of his condition. His wife, who is my sil, also isn't very careful too.

Not very nice for me to be blunt and I can only remind my child not to let them kiss her on her lips or share eating utensils or food and drinks for that matter.

carebear wrote:If you are referring to Hepatitis B, then there is no booster in the immunization schedule for children.
If you are worried that her immunity might be low, then bring her for a blood test.

Usually the body will generate antibodies when the immunity becomes low in the case for hep B. However if there is a family member with Hep B in the same household, then the immunity should be above 100 for it to be protective.
So if got close contact with Hep B positive, then should check immunity level to see if still protective.

No, Hep B booster not given to babies of Hepatitis B mother. They receive a kind of immunoglobulin at birth instead. Their Hep B vaccines thereafter are similar to other babies.

Hope this is helpful.
But do go to your doctor to clarify the matter.

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Hep B boosters

Postby health friend » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Recent published studies in Taiwan and USA suggest that the protective effect of Hep B Vaccination at birth tend to wean off after 15 years or so. Therefore a blood check at adolescence would be good although the WHO has not yet recommended this as there is only early evidence from 2 clinical studies. If there possible Hep B Carriers in your midst then a booster is advisable. Check with your GP. Cheers

health friend
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Health