Bates Method: Eye Exercises

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Bates Method: Eye Exercises

Postby cimman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:00 am

my sister tried the eye exercises promoted by Leo Angart:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/393755 ... d_i=507846

her child, a P4 kid, did the exercises for 1 week and her myopia went down from 400 degrees to 200. You have to do the exercises every hour on the hour for a week though. Each exercise just takes a few minutes, but it is tiring.
Once there is an improvement, the frequency of the exercises can be dropped to a few times a week, rather than every hour.
I'm wondering if the effect is permanent though. Anyway will be monitoring.

This will be good for parents who wants a natural way to improve their child's eyesight rather than relying on medication (ie. atropine)

I did some research on this and found that modern day practioners of eye exercises based their methods on William H. Bates.
http://www.amazon.com/Method-Better-Eye ... pd_sim_b_1
the above book tells you about the principles behind the eye exercises.

this other book has the more practical eye exercises:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155643 ... d_i=507846

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068481 ... d_i=507846

I found these books in Kinokuniya as well. However, it is more expensive than Amazon.com, but the advantage is that you can get it in Singapore. You can check them out at Kinokuniya's website: http://www.kinokuniya.com.sg/

anyone who has tried eye exercises can chip in here.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Bates Method: Eye Exercises

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am

This sounds fantastic....Do you know if there is a possibility to reduce back to perfect vision? Thanks.

Postby cimman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 am

ksi wrote:This sounds fantastic....Do you know if there is a possibility to reduce back to perfect vision? Thanks.

oh yes. Based on the reviews of the books in Amazon.com, people have achieved 20/20 vision after the exercises. The people who reviewed the books shared their experiences and most were quite positive.
The exercises are quite tiring initially, so I wouldn't recommend your child doing it now, being this close to SA2 exams. You can try it during the holidays. There's nothing much to lose except the cost of the book, which is quite reasonable, and a fair amount of discipline to do the exercises every hour.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Busymom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58 am

Cimman,

Could you share briefly what/how are the exercises like? Are they easy to understand? I'm always worried that I may end up doing the exercises incorrectly due to wrong interpretation of the method.

TIA.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cimman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 am

Busymom wrote:Cimman,

Could you share briefly what/how are the exercises like? Are they easy to understand? I'm always worried that I may end up doing the exercises incorrectly due to wrong interpretation of the method.

TIA.

there are a number of exercises for different problems, astigmatism, myopia, and for older folks presbyopia. The exercises are simple to do, it's not complicated.

if you're interested in the exercises, it's best you go to Kinokuniya at Takashimaya and browse through the books I've recommended. The exercises involves looking at different graphic charts and focusing on different points on the chart, and sweeping your eyes left to right on word charts. Different charts for different problems.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Busymom » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:26 am

cimman wrote:
Busymom wrote:Cimman,

TIA.

there are a number of exercises for different problems, astigmatism, myopia, and for older folks presbyopia. The exercises are simple to do, it's not complicated.

if you're interested in the exercises, it's best you go to Kinokuniya at Takashimaya and browse through the books I've recommended. The exercises involves looking at different graphic charts and focusing on different points on the chart, and sweeping your eyes left to right on word charts. Different charts for different problems.

Thank you, cimman, will go check out the books.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cimman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Bradshaw wrote:I am extremely thankful to you for posting about the Eye Exercises because i have weak eye sight and believe that by doing these exercises would be effective for improvement of my eyes . Thanks

you're welcome, Bradshaw. I have to add a caveat that everyone's eye physiology is different, so while it might work on one, it might not be that effective on another.
The cost is not high, just the cost of a book, some dedication and if you see results after a week or two, well and good. At this point in time, I can't say that the results are proven to be a permanent solution.
The exercises don't work on someone who has done Lasik though.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 8228 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:57 am

I attended Leo Angart's seminar in Singapore with my dd. I found the effect temporary. After the exercises, she could read the eye chart better, maybe 1 or 2 lines down but over time, her power still increased.

cimman, which exercises did your sister's child did? For my dd, she mainly did the string exercise.

Another thing, my dd seemed to read the eye chart quite well at home but the eye test in optical shop showed different results.

Now, I am considering atropine but still concerned about the possible long term side effects.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby quirkymum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 pm

I also attended the Leo Angart's seminar, effects also temporary. I heard that atropine did not work well for one of my friend's kids. Not really sure what else can be done.

Cinman, how long did the exercises take to show lasting results?

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cimman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:57 pm

the string method was used, the one where you vary the distance and using the string to gauge the distance. My niece tried the method for 2 weeks. I'll have to check on the progress again to see if it was maintained.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Health