Milk = Phlegm ?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Milk = Phlegm ?

Postby toughlove » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Discovered thru trial & error that my coming-to-5-yr-old son gets phlegm whenever he drinks milk. Tried Lactose-free version too but still the phlegm appeared. Feel so sad 'cos am myself a big fan of milk due to all its goodness. Gave him Oat-milk but he didn't like the taste. So now going to try Rice-milk. Any other suggestions ?

toughlove
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Milk = Phlegm ?

Postby autumnbronze » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

There are several variations of milk in the market.

Oat milk comes under different brands. Some are sweeter.

You can try quinoa, almond, soya milk. You can try adding Milo to make it tastier.

Hope this helps :smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dasalo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm

toughlove wrote:Discovered thru trial & error that my coming-to-5-yr-old son gets phlegm whenever he drinks milk. Tried Lactose-free version too but still the phlegm appeared. Feel so sad 'cos am myself a big fan of milk due to all its goodness. Gave him Oat-milk but he didn't like the taste. So now going to try Rice-milk. Any other suggestions ?

Is he drinking sweetened milk or fresh milk from the refrigerator? Try diluting or drink alittle water after his milk. Rice milk is nice according to my dd but I personally don't like it. The colour isn't white.

I've never heard of quinoa milk. Where can I find them?

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Quinoa milk can be found at NTUC and Cold Storage.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dasalo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:21 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Quinoa milk can be found at NTUC and Cold Storage.

Thanks, I'll go try it out.

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:09 am

DS1 is the same. I realised after some observations that his problem is not milk per se, but replacing water with milk (note: fresh milk, not formula milk). If left up to him, he will drink only milk instead of water. What we do now is limit him to 2 cups of milk a day, and ensure that he drinks enough water at other times. He does not like water, so I give him slightly chilled honey water to bring to school (1 T honey to 750ml water, add an ice cube in an insulated flask) and he will finish that. It works for him.

A Caucasian teacher in Singapore made the same observation about milk inducing more phelgm in our weather. His reasoning was that in a cold dry weather, your body NEEDS more mucus to protect the respiratory tract from the dryness, but Singapore being so humid, it becomes a problem. I think it's also that we sweat a lot more in our weather, so we need more clear fluids to flush the system, not a fluid laden with protein and natural salts as in milk. You basically just need to balance the milk intake against the overall diet and lifestyle. Just my personal theory. :)
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 am

Btw it's also ok to go without milk. Both my kids were on dairy free diet in their early years. It's not an issue as long as they get calcium from other sources.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Enbin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 pm

deminc wrote:Btw it's also ok to go without milk. Both my kids were on dairy free diet in their early years. It's not an issue as long as they get calcium from other sources.

calcium pills helps too..

Enbin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cnimed » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:24 am

I try to avoid pills but go for natural food sources. Some calcium pills come with magnesium and this can induce diarrheao in some individuals like me. Too much calcium pills can also lead to kidney stones. Of course there are no strict rules. :) It's all about balance, age and your overall diet. :)
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Enbin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 pm

How about those goat milk pills/vitamins? They are a good ssuch pills? ource for calcium intake too... Any idea if there are any adverse effect for

Enbin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health