Eye blisters?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Eye blisters?

Postby nanana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 pm

My 2.5 yrs old toddler keeps blinking her eyes.. We brought her to see an eye specialist and transparent blisters were spotted in her eyes. Was given some eye drops but she refused to be administered the eye drops. She will struggle and cry and there is no way the eye drops can go into her eyes. I am very worried. Anyone had similar problems? Please advise me... Thanks!

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Eye blisters?

Postby cherrygal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

MY 2yo gal was given eye drops as well for a stye she had. She refused to let me go near her with the drops but I managed to drop them in during her sleep (nap time and sleep time). Very easy when they sleep like a log. You must wait for the deep sleep period (fingers relaxed) to do this and get ready a pacifier. The trick is to get ready everything (wash your hands, tissue nearby, eye medicine almost dripping out) and administer it really fast by opening the eyelids with your clean fingers. Do not touch the eye with your hands.

I stress really clean hands - washed with antibacterial soap - before touching the medicine even.

Good luck!

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Eye blisters?

Postby nanana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 pm

cherrygal wrote:MY 2yo gal was given eye drops as well for a stye she had. She refused to let me go near her with the drops but I managed to drop them in during her sleep (nap time and sleep time). Very easy when they sleep like a log. You must wait for the deep sleep period (fingers relaxed) to do this and get ready a pacifier. The trick is to get ready everything (wash your hands, tissue nearby, eye medicine almost dripping out) and administer it really fast by opening the eyelids with your clean fingers. Do not touch the eye with your hands.

I stress really clean hands - washed with antibacterial soap - before touching the medicine even.

Good luck!


Sorry, what is stye? how is her condition now?
The eye drops need to be administered 4 times daily each. There are 2 different eye drops and a gel type to be put once at night. Total 3 types.
We are bringing her to KK eye centre next week for another assessment.
Sigh.

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Eye blisters?

Postby cherrygal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 pm

A Stye is a small little pimple on the inner eyelid (usually caused by bacterial infection). I am not sure whether your "blisters" are actually styes. It can cause the eye to be itchy as it feels like a speck of sand in the eye, hence the constant blinking.

I didn't even bother to go to an eye specialist coz this is actually quite minor. My GP's medicine (Fusidic acid eye ointment) was good enough. Just had to put in twice a day for about a week or so. Try to ask the doc if there is any medicine that can be effective with just twice daily dosage. Easier. And for the first 2 days, keep her at home so you can administer the medication faithfully. Childcare teachers usually won't know how to put in eye drops. Afterwhich, you can try giving it to her before she wakes up in the morning and another round when she sleeps (supposing she goes to childcare).

And such conditions usually occur when kids don't wipe their faces or eyes after crying, or when they rub their eyes with dirty hands. My kid got it just after entering the childcare. Guess she cried a lot then and the teachers didn't wipe her face and eyes.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Eye blisters?

Postby nanana » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

cherrygal wrote:A Stye is a small little pimple on the inner eyelid (usually caused by bacterial infection). I am not sure whether your "blisters" are actually styes. It can cause the eye to be itchy as it feels like a speck of sand in the eye, hence the constant blinking.

I didn't even bother to go to an eye specialist coz this is actually quite minor. My GP's medicine (Fusidic acid eye ointment) was good enough. Just had to put in twice a day for about a week or so. Try to ask the doc if there is any medicine that can be effective with just twice daily dosage. Easier. And for the first 2 days, keep her at home so you can administer the medication faithfully. Childcare teachers usually won't know how to put in eye drops. Afterwhich, you can try giving it to her before she wakes up in the morning and another round when she sleeps (supposing she goes to childcare).

And such conditions usually occur when kids don't wipe their faces or eyes after crying, or when they rub their eyes with dirty hands. My kid got it just after entering the childcare. Guess she cried a lot then and the teachers didn't wipe her face and eyes.


Oh, my girl's are not pimple type but transparent like blisters. I am not sure what are those. Pray hard it's not something serious. Will see how after another assessment next week.
Thanks for your advice!

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: Eye blisters?

Postby cherrygal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:12 am

Yup you better get it checked out. Read on the web and it can be quite painful and uncomfortable. Mostly due to sun damage or allergies to dust, pollen etc. The blisters usually heal on their own.

What the doc gave you would be an anti-inflammatory eye drop and some for lubricating the eye to relieve the discomfort. If your gal is against the medications, try just dropping the anti-inflammatory one and skip the lubricating drops to minimize the struggle. The former is more important in the healing process.

Good luck!

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Eye blisters?

Postby nanana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 pm

cherrygal wrote:Yup you better get it checked out. Read on the web and it can be quite painful and uncomfortable. Mostly due to sun damage or allergies to dust, pollen etc. The blisters usually heal on their own.

What the doc gave you would be an anti-inflammatory eye drop and some for lubricating the eye to relieve the discomfort. If your gal is against the medications, try just dropping the anti-inflammatory one and skip the lubricating drops to minimize the struggle. The former is more important in the healing process.

Good luck!


Yes, thanks! :smile:

nanana
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Total Likes: 1



Return to Health