What meals do you provide for sick children?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

What meals do you provide for sick children?

Postby vfong1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 pm

hi, I just need some informations on meals for sick children i.e. with fever. I'm not sure if hot soupy food will bring back the fever. Please advise. Thanks.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cmm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:56 pm

I usually give plain bread, bee tai mak soup, macaroni soup.

My SIL said to abstain from rice and porridge (but bee hoon and bee tai mak is ok :?) during fever. I din believe at first, but proved to be true for my kids, but maybe it's coincidence? But fever in yound children is such a scary thing, so I'd rather keep to what works.

I'd just let them eat whatever amount they can manage cos appetite would be poor. But got to keep up with the liquids though.

Hope this helps.

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am

Hiya

Whenever my 2.5yo boy is running very high fever >40, i don't give him solids, just some very thin (4-5 scoops=about 50g with about 80ml of warm water) brown rice cereal (those instant type by Nestle) to go wif meds. Jus give lots of fluids like barley, boiled water, chrysanthemum, all at room temperature. Avoid hot food/drink. It also depends what causes the fever, if hv sore throats or mouth ulcers, then she ( i m assuming you are asking for your 2.5yo DD) won't be able to eat. If due to nasal infections or cough then can try some soupy food as suggested by cmm.

DS will always vomit easily whenever he is running fever, so i usually feed by teaspoonfuls and in small quantity (half cup) each time like every other hour interval. Its very tiring, so i always take turns wif DH (lucky for me, hes very hands-on). He has a vomit pail thats always within arm reach near his bed, nowadays he will actually just go for it himself to catch his vomit.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 am

cmm wrote:I usually give plain bread, bee tai mak soup, macaroni soup. ...

cmm, you remind me of my mother. Sick = bee tai mak soup. That's how I learned to diskline bee tai mak soup :)

Are you cantonese?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: What meals do you provide for sick children?

Postby san76 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:27 am

vfong1 wrote:hi, I just need some informations on meals for sick children i.e. with fever. I'm not sure if hot soupy food will bring back the fever. Please advise. Thanks.

Dear Vfong,

Fever? Drink LingYang, chinese cooling water from HockHua. Boil it yourself, dont buy the ready one.

If kids are taking LingYang, I hour after medicine. Soon the fever will subside. If mild fever, drink fresh watermelon juice no ice. That will helps.

All kind of food can be served except oily stuff and too heavy/rich food.
Soupy food will be nice.

If kid didnt want proper meal, you can serve them green bean soup with tiny sago.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:35 am

I share similar sentiments to san76.
Soupy soups and watermelon juice.

And observe the 6 hourly medication
feeds plus the sponge-ing of child's
forehead to reduce the fever spikes.

Especially terok when fever is due to
HFMD, chicken pox and mumps! Like
the song goes, "cannot stand, cannot
sit, cannot rest a little bit!" (Excerpt
from the song Planting Rice from Pri
school dunno if you've heard it...)

And when you really need to take a
snooze place the cool fever gel. Liquid
intake (plain water) try to give more
in order not to dehydrate. Wet dry or
cracked lips with water as well..

Is your child sick now vfong? (high fever?)

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmm » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:29 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
cmm wrote:I usually give plain bread, bee tai mak soup, macaroni soup. ...

cmm, you remind me of my mother. Sick = bee tai mak soup. That's how I learned to diskline bee tai mak soup :)

Are you cantonese?

Wah Chief, you're sharp! Yes, I'm cantonese :D . My all time fav convalescent food is mee sua soup though.

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:58 pm

cmm wrote:...Wah Chief, you're sharp! Yes, I'm cantonese :D . My all time fav convalescent food is mee sua soup though.

Nah... that was easy... all cantonese love clear soupy things... the closer to water the better. I had the benefit of observing how my cantonese mother operated :)

To be fair to bee tai mak soup, it is just that I associated being sick with it, since I only ate it when I WAS sick. So when I'm not sick and I eat it, I will start to feel sick. Weird, huh?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby vfong1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:45 pm

buds wrote:I share similar sentiments to san76.
Soupy soups and watermelon juice.

And observe the 6 hourly medication
feeds plus the sponge-ing of child's
forehead to reduce the fever spikes.

Especially terok when fever is due to
HFMD, chicken pox and mumps! Like
the song goes, "cannot stand, cannot
sit, cannot rest a little bit!" (Excerpt
from the song Planting Rice from Pri
school dunno if you've heard it...)

And when you really need to take a
snooze place the cool fever gel. Liquid
intake (plain water) try to give more
in order not to dehydrate. Wet dry or
cracked lips with water as well..

Is your child sick now vfong? (high fever?)

yes, bud. She has got high fever since Thurs, 16 April and now she's better. We fed her porridge and ABC soup noodles with fish and broccoli.
Yesterday, she vomitted as she got choked by the aweful medicine taste.
We forced her to drink lots of water.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: What meals do you provide for sick children?

Postby vfong1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:51 pm

san76 wrote:
vfong1 wrote:hi, I just need some informations on meals for sick children i.e. with fever. I'm not sure if hot soupy food will bring back the fever. Please advise. Thanks.

Dear Vfong,

Fever? Drink LingYang, chinese cooling water from HockHua. Boil it yourself, dont buy the ready one.

If kids are taking LingYang, I hour after medicine. Soon the fever will subside. If mild fever, drink fresh watermelon juice no ice. That will helps.

All kind of food can be served except oily stuff and too heavy/rich food.
Soupy food will be nice.

If kid didnt want proper meal, you can serve them green bean soup with tiny sago.

Thanks san76. We did try Lingyang last time but she's scared of the taste and refuse to drink. Last time we didn't give too hot the soup only lukewarm ones as we worried her fever will resume.

vfong1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health