Lysine - improve food appetite?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Lysine - improve food appetite?

Postby Bluefish » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm

My son is 4 yrs old and recently he refused to eat meat and vegetable except purely rice or noodle. From the pharmacy, the sales promotor told me to purchase supplement product which contains Lysine.

Does anyone use this amino acid when your child started to lose appetite?

Bluefish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Lysine - improve food appetite?

Postby MLR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Bluefish wrote:My son is 4 yrs old and recently he refused to eat meat and vegetable except purely rice or noodle. From the pharmacy, the sales promotor told me to purchase supplement product which contains Lysine.

Does anyone use this amino acid when your child started to lose appetite?

Hiya bluefish, Lysine won't really work in his case, cos it increases appetite, not choice of food. Did anything happened (like vomit/fever/sorethroat/diarrhoea) before his change of eating habits? Cos my 2.5 yo developed lactose intorelent after a bad bout of stomah flu and also somewhat affected his eating habits (he refuses chicken, anything cold, most fruits except for papaya and watermelon, says it make him sick).

My friend's daughters don't eat meat, vegetables and fruits too till they are 6 yo or so, they only like eggs with noodle/rice/bread. She give them veg/fruit smoothie (puree veg/fruits with vanilla ice-cream or yoghurt and sweeten with honey). Most of the time she will cook up a big pot of soup made with chicken,pork,carrots,celery,corn then store them in containers in the freezer. She would use the soup to cook porridge or noodle for her girls. She also change their milk formula to Dumax (theres one that has fruits and veg formulated in it, specially for children who don't like veg/fruits). She even tried to get her girls to eat fast food, so as to get them to eat some meat.

Its the texture of the food that they dislike, not the meat and veg itself. Noodle/Bread/Rice is easier to chew and swallow as compared to meat/veg. So trick is to change the texture and mask it.

If he does eat selective meat or veg, just give those to him as much as possible. Don't fret when he doesn't eat them everymeal, rather concentrate on total amount he eat the whole day. Try to re-introduce one item a day, whenever possible, involve him in the food preparation, like help to pluck veg, rinse them in the sink, etc.

If you like, can PM me for some receipes.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Bluefish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi MLR,

Thank you so much for your input. After observing him a few days, he started to take some meat and vegetable. I am wondering could it be the hot weather since last week, thus so how or rather it affects his appetite?

Nevertheless, I still continue to give him Lysine (tablet form with multi-Vits).

There is another new case, he keeps "mingle" with his little penis and when I asked him why, he said "pain pain". When I checked further, I saw some rashes around the tip. I guess he might have scratched it.

My question is can I use those cream which I have used for his face/hand rashes to apply on his little penis (very important and sensitive part). The cream I am using now is called "Physiogel Hypoallergenic"?

Thank you.

Bluefish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby san76 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:06 am

Bluefish wrote:Hi MLR,

Thank you so much for your input. After observing him a few days, he started to take some meat and vegetable. I am wondering could it be the hot weather since last week, thus so how or rather it affects his appetite?

Nevertheless, I still continue to give him Lysine (tablet form with multi-Vits).

There is another new case, he keeps "mingle" with his little penis and when I asked him why, he said "pain pain". When I checked further, I saw some rashes around the tip. I guess he might have scratched it.

My question is can I use those cream which I have used for his face/hand rashes to apply on his little penis (very important and sensitive part). The cream I am using now is called "Physiogel Hypoallergenic"?

Thank you.

Hi Bluefish,

Your cutie is touching his penis, time to tell him that the bacteria from his fingers will cause it to itch and rash more.

Now, each time after he wee wee, use a wet cotton pad with just water to clean it. tell him dont touch. few days this issue will subside. Urine itself will cause groth of bacterias. wash his penis well during shower and keep it dry. sure no issue. I do not like my child to have much medicine on him or orally. Naturally heal will be good. Let him wear loose cotton pant with out brief.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Hiya Bluefish

Me find that children do go thru different stages of likes/dislikes during their growing years. Unless its developing into a daily battlefield during meal times for prolonged period of time, otherwise for short periods, it should not cause any deficiency issues. As they grow, their senses matured too, so does taste buds. My 2.5yo boy dislike anything sweet (other than meds), sour, cold. Ice-cream is like poison to him :shock: , imagine the shock of his teacher when he vomited after a taste of it in school. He likes savoury stuff like cheese, potato chips, keropok. Recently he starts to accept some chocolate snacks like banana chocolate cheese toast that i make. His all time fav food is oats with brown rice cereal, he can eat this as main meal or snack everyday, sometimes he ask for it twice a day :P .

As for your boy's touching of his penis, my take is that he is starting to be aware of his extra appendage, maybe he has seen a girl in her birthday suit and got curious. Its a normal development, but there is a concern now that theres rashes on it. If the rash starts to look angry, then should seek medical attention, otherwise with a little antiseptic cream, it should go away in a few days. As san76 had mentioned, keep it clean and hv to educate him that its not a toy that he plays with. Don't be too harsh or try to frighten him about it. I remember my mom told my nephew when he was about 4yo that its his special gift and it should be well taken care of, if he plays with it and it gets "sick" then it be broken and he won't be able to pee and get sick too. :lol: But it works, and till date, my nephew dutifully washes it whenever he pee. he even complains that his classmate don't clean after they pee :roll: He is 9yo now.

:celebrate:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Lysine - improve food appetite?

Postby jenniferjoey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi Mums,

For children taking Lysine with Vits, I strongly disagree. There's side effects for Lysine and with the Lysine contents still circulating inside your child's body while if they get sick and have to take other medication, with the mix of medication it may become toxin. For all medication beside pure vitamins, all have side effects, and we won't know it as the promoter won't state so much, and it's best after you buy the items, go thru the literature ( The description of the contents of the medication) inside the packaging, and go to reliable websites like the following to double confirm it's safe. (Adults/Elderlys also must be careful with their own medication)

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/lysine.html
http://medlineplus.gov/

For Lysine, in hospital, we serve it to patients who are very very ill, such as renal, cancer, terminally ill patients etc.. who need medication to aids them to increase appetite and absorb more nutrients. It's more like a long term medication.

For me, when my girl started to eat solid food, I never let her choose. Don't let her know that she has the right to choose. We of course must try the food and know how your child will react to individual or mixture of food. Except those food which may have high chance of allergies, which I won't serve them to her, untill I know her age she can start trying bit by bit.

For the beginning she behaves like MLR's boy, don't take ice-cream, sweets, cold drinks, soft drinks or any other sweet stuffs. ( Partly because she has prolonged Bronchitis when she is about 2 plus, so lots of food which will alleviate her condition must avoid, we have to reemphasize to her what will happen to her if she take them). After a year she starts to understand, she loves and treats bittergourd and herbal tea like sweets, she eats most food which normal children dislike except spicy food...

Hmm... The result of how your children react when seeing food depends on how to educate them, we must be firm for the beginning. Very Tough process, esp with so many eyes looking at us, especially the grandparents will be softhearted and force us to give up. :x I don't care how people see me. I am not forcing my girl to eat poison but something that will benefit to her for now and in her future. We are the one who teach our children how to see/face this world, how to react from different type of things, senarios, tastes, ... Luckily she takes oat cereal which her mum(Me) don't. (Yucks)Hee... But when she started to go to school she begins to know and love junk food. :cry:

Hmm.. being parents is like taking a PHD course from Multi-faculties which taking us more than a decade to graduate... So scary and stressful...

jenniferjoey
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby amylqf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:47 pm

strongly agree as above.

my husband and me are forcing our daughter to eat vegetables. with all these years forcing, now she still doesn't like,but at least eat some without fuss.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tony » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Lysine didn't work for us. Thankfully, we didn't continue for long. Tks, Jenniferjoey, for your very knowledgeable comments.

What we're finding useful is acidopholous. It helps with digestion and with the absoprtion of nutrients from the food. It's perhaps a placebo effect, but ds2 seems to get hungry as opposed to never being hungry before.

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby amylqf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 pm

what is acidopholous? is it off the shelf product or given by the doctor?

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tony » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 am

Acidopholous, in my very layman's terms, is healthy bacteria. I found this link on wikipedia about probiotics (same thing):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

It's found in yoghurt. We were prescribed by our pede when the kids had diarrhoea. Basically, we already have friendly bacteria in our guts that help us to digest and absorb food, but a lot of that is lost when the child has diarrhoea.

We're now using as a daily supplement to aid further in digestion and absorption. You can get it in pharmacies or at health food stores.

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health