Yoga, For Weight Loss.

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Re: Yoga, For Weight Loss.

Post by HAPPYH » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:37 am

Yes, it is better to go for a yoga class and learn the steps from the experienced person. My friend got back pain and neck pain after doing yoga on her own. I think some of her postures were not correct and she strained her neck and back in a wrong way. An experienced person can guide you as well as he / she can explain the consequences if you do the postures wrongly.

Another thing is that if you have back pain or neck pain (severe), you can not do the postures that require backward bending.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by osim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:35 pm

schweppes wrote:
osim wrote:
schweppes wrote:

Decided to pick up yoga again. No signs of weight loss :gloomy: :skeptical: but at least feel less achy all over.

:wink:
Weight loss... how about 16 rounds of rapid sun salutation a day, sure to sweat.
16 rounds :yikes: :faint:

Just started recently, so am only managing 6 sets of sun 3x a week ... :sweat:

Looks like I need to work harder!! :sweat: :sweat:

Do you practice everyday and how long are your sessions? Can share please? :please:
:lol: You are so much much more discipline than me. I need to go to class to kick my butt to do. That's why I have to go for class.

My BMI is okay so I'm just doing for overall wellbeing and also to help my dd to learn Yoga. She attends lesson with me but she is so busy so we can only afford to go once a week.

cfan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by cfan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Yoga together with DD sounds like fun

Where do you go?

Can Share?

Cheers

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by osim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

cfan wrote:Yoga together with DD sounds like fun

Where do you go?

Can Share?

Cheers
Sivananda Yoga. She is the only kid there usually but she doesn't mind. In fact she is doing better than me :/

The have classes everyday so you can go when you can make it and as many time as you want a week. I like the flexibility as dd sometime have a lot of homework/project to do.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:69

Post by schweppes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 pm

osim wrote:
schweppes wrote:
osim wrote:
Weight loss... how about 16 rounds of rapid sun salutation a day, sure to sweat.
16 rounds :yikes: :faint:

Just started recently, so am only managing 6 sets of sun 3x a week ... :sweat:

Looks like I need to work harder!! :sweat: :sweat:

Do you practice everyday and how long are your sessions? Can share please? :please:
:lol: You are so much much more discipline than me. I need to go to class to kick my butt to do. That's why I have to go for class.

My BMI is okay so I'm just doing for overall wellbeing and also to help my dd to learn Yoga. She attends lesson with me but she is so busy so we can only afford to go once a week.
Eh... just restarted yoga, so my enthu level still high. :oops: Hopefully can still sustain this after 3 -6 months :sweat: :sweat: :nailbite:

It's wonderful doing this together with your dd. :love: Nice bonding session. Feel that yoga is good for overall well-being. Once a week better than nothing. Must motivate each other

:wink:

Yuhua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Yuhua » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:10 am

I am practising yoga with my 2 ds as well at ohmsantih yoga school. We have alot of fun and often end up laughing or teasing each other. Plus teacher is really cool. She has a way with the adults and also the children to keep all of us motivated.
And I did lose about 4-5kg all in all in about 8 months period. Perhaps its also the change in my lifestyle, less late nights and less snacking :p

Saki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Saki » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 am

http://www.yoganikam.org/contactus.html

yoga is taught for free, juz go they and register

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by osim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 am

Tried yoganikam long time ago at Ramakrishnan Mission. I like this organization as they bring yoga into the common people lives purely for altruistic reasons.

In my 25 years experience in Yoga, I had seen Singapore started from only about 5 schools or so to now, a big proliferation of yoga studios and also a big variations of Yoga.

Those days, as much as I can recall, there was

Brahma Kumaris Raja Yoga
Ananada Marga Yoga
Kundalini Yoga
Bihar School Of Yoga. (I attended)

These ashrams were really serious yoga centers. A good Yoga school is not just for exercise, they help you to connect your body and mind. The teachers inspire by their very being.

Now we have Chocolate Yoga, YogaFly, YongChun Yoga, etc...

This is why I want to start my dd in a classical yoga school. So that in future she can tell the difference from the Commercial Yoga. She likes the ashram, said it feels like the library, so quiet and peaceful. It is also good to let her associate with People who take care of their mind and body for spiritual well being.

After every workout, she feels so relaxed mentally and physically having had a whole week of school activities and also the stress from preparing for
PSLE.

Saki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Saki » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 am

osim wrote:Tried yoganikam long time ago at Ramakrishnan Mission. I like this organization as they bring yoga into the common people lives purely for altruistic reasons.

In my 25 years experience in Yoga, I had seen Singapore started from only about 5 schools or so to now, a big proliferation of yoga studios and also a big variations of Yoga.

Those days, as much as I can recall, there was

Brahma Kumaris Raja Yoga
Ananada Marga Yoga
Kundalini Yoga
Bihar School Of Yoga. (I attended)

These ashrams were really serious yoga centers. A good Yoga school is not just for exercise, they help you to connect your body and mind. The teachers inspire by their very being.

Now we have Chocolate Yoga, YogaFly, YongChun Yoga, etc...

This is why I want to start my dd in a classical yoga school. So that in future she can tell the difference from the Commercial Yoga. She likes the ashram, said it feels like the library, so quiet and peaceful. It is also good to let her associate with People who take care of their mind and body for spiritual well being.

After every workout, she feels so relaxed mentally and physically having had a whole week of school activities and also the stress from preparing for
PSLE.

what is classical yoga school, and where is it can you pls share

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Post by HAPPYH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Saki wrote:http://www.yoganikam.org/contactus.html

yoga is taught for free, juz go they and register
My colleague attended this yoganikam and the feedback given was very good. Worth trying.