Sleeping late

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Sleeping late

Postby susu2626 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi, any parents have kids that sleep late at night?
Most of the time my DD sleeps late at night sometime she will not go to bed till 3am and wakes up at 11am.
She would either do some reading, homework, texting friends, watching some video clips etc,, have asked her if she has any problems or stress from school works but she said none of these. Afraid that this will affect her health. please share your experience here.

susu2626
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Sleeping late

Postby Super.kiasu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm

I used to sleep at 12am everyday and wake up to catch the school bus at 6am. I don't feel tired though... This was during my primary school days.

Super.kiasu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby LOLMum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:22 pm

does this happen during school terms or only school holidays?

school terms is definitely a big no no. friday nite and school holidays, i am fine with it.

but the bad is huge ugly panda eyes with eye bags to carry around so had put a stop to dd's late nite. got to sleep before midnight.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am

How old is your DD? If >16yo, then it's normal for them to be nocturnal and they are too old for you to control. If primary school age, then 3am is a bit late. I used to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 6am in pri and sec school days. I will nap in the bus on my way home.

To tweak the sleeping time for a young child, you can try to wake your DD earlier. Don't allow her to sleep till 11am. As Dr Ferber said, you can't force them to sleep but you can certainly wake them up. After a few days of waking early, their body clocks will tell them to sleep earlier as they have a sleep debt to pay.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 am

Even during the school hols, we still wake DS up at 7.30am daily. He tries hard to fight for a later sleeping time during the school hols but his eyes can't stay open after 10pm. So Dr Ferber's method works.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Super.kiasu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

LOLMum wrote:does this happen during school terms or only school holidays?

school terms is definitely a big no no. friday nite and school holidays, i am fine with it.

but the bad is huge ugly panda eyes with eye bags to carry around so had put a stop to dd's late nite. got to sleep before midnight.

It happens everyday.school holidays and weekends even later. :smile:
My parents used to say there was something wrong because i was full of energy once i wake up.

Super.kiasu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby susu2626 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm

cherrygal wrote:Even during the school hols, we still wake DS up at 7.30am daily. He tries hard to fight for a later sleeping time during the school hols but his eyes can't stay open after 10pm. So Dr Ferber's method works.

Good idea! Thanks for sharing....but it is not easy to pull her out of the BED!!! if you know what I mean.

susu2626
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby atrecord » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:09 pm

My kids sleep late if we do not chase them to go to bed. on weekdays, we try to push them to bed at 10.30 pm but it often drags till 11+ pm before they keep quiet and close eyes...

Weekends they might sleep even later, but on Sats and Suns, they will wake up as early as 7.30 am (unless they slept real late and had a real long day = need to sleep more therefore wake up later) to watch TV, play computer, etc...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Choco05 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:13 pm

susu2626 wrote:Hi, any parents have kids that sleep late at night?
Most of the time my DD sleeps late at night sometime she will not go to bed till 3am and wakes up at 11am.
She would either do some reading, homework, texting friends, watching some video clips etc,, have asked her if she has any problems or stress from school works but she said none of these. Afraid that this will affect her health. please share your experience here.

Your DD sounds exactly like me. Even the timings are the same :sweat: But i only do this during the holidays. On school days latest will be 12am.

Choco05
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby susu2626 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Choco05 wrote:
susu2626 wrote:Hi, any parents have kids that sleep late at night?

Your DD sounds exactly like me. Even the timings are the same :sweat: But i only do this during the holidays. On school days latest will be 12am.

During my school days, I only burn mid-night oil during my exam period, other days I sleep like a "pig" :rotflmao:

susu2626
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health