H1N1

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Postby jesschan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Yep, it reminds me of the SARS period a few years back.... hope they manage to contain it.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ZacK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Hmmm wonder if I heard correctly over the news... Tamiflu is able to prevent our bodies from succumbing to the swine flu virus?

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:01 pm

My humble opinion if you will allow:

People, don't panic, don't go overboard with this.

Do the necessary to keep yourselves healthy, but please don't feed the media, don't feed the paranoia; don't allow the media to poison you, don't allow paranoia to overwhelm your lives. Be sensible, be calm.

Melamine, Indian Rojak, dengue, etc. - this is just the latest fodder for the media.

Discuss with sensibility, act sensibly, protect your families with sensible habits and diet. But don't participate in the paranoia and media sensationalism.

Cancer, heart disease, smoking kill more every day than SARS ever did.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby westmom » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:44 pm

The measures that MOH have in placed are good but are more "downstream". More can be done to put in "upstream" measures like:

a) having commercials/notices everywhere TV,Radio,papers "instructing" (vs advising because some don't care two hoots) public to wash hands frequently WITH SOAP in proper way. You just have to spend 5 minutes in a public toilets and you will see only 2 out of 10 people uses SOAP and some don't even wash their hands at all. Is soap that will kill germs. People do know of such recommended practice but if the message is "not serious", they will not do it out of habit.

b) Instruct public establishment to have ready supply of soap in their washrooms (very often there's no soap)

c) Stop the practice of sharing food and drinks (even amongst family members). Have a common serving spoon for each dish. People don't realise that this is the fastest way to spread the virus. I have asked my dd to stop dipping her hand into shared packet of potatoe chips etc. I also tried to "train" her not to rub her eyes/nose/mouth with hands. Use clean tissue (& throw it away immediately) or just use the forearms (less risk).

d) Insist that people wear a mask if they are sick or cover their mouths with tissue when they cough or sneeze. This is being practiced in civilised Japan. Here - people don't care 2 hoots. If the directive comes from MOH, i believe people will be "socially" pressured to do so.

My other personal measure:

i) Use tissues to open the toilet doors and throw the tissue in the rubbish (avoid being "infected" by germs at door handles left by people who don't wash their hands!

ii) Quarantine the sick in one room or wear face masks if tending to the sick.

I believe the above will go a long way in helping to curb the fast spread of the SWINE disease. People are still not yet educated of good hygiene practices in this region so i can expect the transmission will be very fast! Japan is an exception but I supposed it took a long way for them too. If we start educating now, surely our next generation will benefit. There will always be a perpetual threat of fatal diseases so now is a good time to aggressively promote these good practices,

Anyone working in MOH in this forum? Can give feedback....

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Good hygiene should be practised at all times, and not just during such a "crisis". Having said that, this "crisis" is a good time to remind people. Having said THAT, now that Indian Rojak has been forgotten, the real test is to see if people continue to practise good hygiene when swine flu is forgotten later this year. I bet not.

But still, we who are more aware should practise what we preach. I support the use of masks a la the Japanese. I have on rare occasion seen people use masks in Singapore in recent years, to my surprise. But not enough of course, still loads of disgusting sneezers and coughers in the MRT. Also, what I find very stupid is that all the stores are out of stock for masks and yet almost no one is using it in the streets! I bet it will happen again this round. Still, as my DD is coughing now we're going to buy some for her to use.

I do what westmom does for toilet doors, actually.

Another culprit is lift buttons, I always use my keys to press them....

Remember! After this "crisis" is forgotten, please continue to practise good hygiene!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksmama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Carry with you a small bottle of hand disinfectant for instances where you have no easy access to a toilet or wash basin.

Just a few days ago, on 93.8 radio, a listener called in to say he thought frequent washing hands was a stupid idea. I hope he is only one of a few exceptions...

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ivanlew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 am

I just bought air ticket 2 weeks ago to fly to HongKong for holiday at this coming Jun school holiday before the new news report about this virus. Hopefully, HongKong nobody got the virus when I fly there.

God bless.

Ivanlew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49 am

Oh dear... hope not, ya.

:xedfingers:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby krazy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:01 am

it's orange alert now.