Pain in the neck

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Pain in the neck

Postby mathsparks » Tue May 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi,
"Twisted" my neck this afternoon while doing shoulder stand. Should I go to western doctor or chinese tui na. Any recommendations?

Pain is bearable but seems to be worsening.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

If nothing is broken... I suggest chinese tui na more to clear blockages and ease blood flow... But if there is a fracture or sorts... I would suggest western.

Based on what you mentioned... sounds like a pulled muscle. Due to bad posture I had a severe lower back pain, went to western to get muscle relaxant and thereafter went to tui na for treatment

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

thanx zack, will prob go to tui na tomo. I know only of 2 places - one in Macpherson shao lin shi (i think it's called) and the other at Tg Katong rd. You've any recommendation?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

mathsparks wrote:thanx zack, will prob go to tui na tomo. I know only of 2 places - one in Macpherson shao lin shi (i think it's called) and the other at Tg Katong rd. You've any recommendation?

The one that was recommended to me is at Bedok Reservoir, think it's at the cluster of blocks where Sheng Siong is... Quite popular and crowded there tho.

Let me know if you wanna try and I go search the address :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 am

In cases like this one, you can use a compress. However, I can't remember if it should be cold or hot. You can use those gel-filled packs you can get at pharmacies (not expensive) or just use a small towel.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 am

Use hot compress for pain relieve, cold compress for reducing swelling (twisted ankle, kiddy fell and hit forehead/face/arm/leg).

For hot compress, wet small towel, nuke it in microwave for 20 sec. For cold compress, wet a couple of small towels, put in zip lock bag and put in freezer. I use the heat pad from pharmacies when working in office, just peel and stick onto clothing.

For new injuries, I would recommend accupuncture and tui na together for faster recovery.

Got lots of experience, cos lots of sports injuries during younger days and also chronic backache problem. Me saving $$ for knees and hips replacement surgeries, which I think may be sooner than I expect. :cry:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks mlr, schellen and zack for the suggestions. Went to the tui na in macpherson. felt ok for abt an hour but the pain has crept back. Will try the hot compress but my microwave just gave up on us.

Will see doc tomor for muscle relaxant. I think as i age, more parts of me are slowly falling apart. Just 2 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle while hiking in bt timah hill. haiz.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

HOW TO CURE/PREVENT A STIFF NECK

Postby dolphinsiah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Quite often I suffer stiff neck when I did not have a proper sleep.

Does anybody know a cure for stiff neck or how to prevent having a stiff neck during sleep.... :idea:

Thanks in advance :D

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I am one who is pretty prone to stiff neck and headaches as well. I have a lot of pillows at home, cos I keep changing them in the hope of finding one that suits me. I kept thinking that my pillows are too soft and flat that is why I keep getting stiff neck. So I keep going for the firm and slightly higher ones but problem still persists.

I consulted a chiro and was told that all the 5 or 6 cervical vertebrae are already misaligned. So went of a series of adjustments. That helped for a while. Finally I thot just splurge and buy the tempur pillow that the chiro is recommending. He gave me a relatively flat and by my standard soft pillow. Told me that should be the height and firmness of base on my build. Went home with that $200+ pillow and seriously, I am experiencing lesser stiff neck and more comfy sleep.

There may not be a need to get such an expensive pillow as there are many similar pillows out there. But it is important to get one that is of the right height and stiffness. Try them out, make sure that the pillow is able to support your neck in your favourite sleeping position. I tried out the pillow for about 5-10mins in my fav position to make sure that I don't feel any strain while lying on it.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Stiff Neck

Postby shine_fs » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:41 am

Hi

My son age of 4 yrs old is having stiff neck now.

Any advice..should I bring him to Chinese shifu to "rub" his neck?

:?:

shine_fs
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Health