Toddler stop drinking Formula Milk - Concern or Happy????

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Toddler stop drinking Formula Milk - Concern or Happy????

Postby dfstan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 am

Dear all

I’m wondering if anyone whom has similar past experience with toddler whom suddenly hates drinking formula milk overnight? My daughter has been drinking formula milk since 1 year old and cannot live without her milk especially one bottle (about 180ml) in morning and night each. Suddenly, over the weekend, she refused to drink her formula milk totally even how much we have threaten her. She complained the scent of the formula milk want to make her vomit. We tried giving her different brands but still no luck in making her drink her formula milk. Although she don’t mind drinking fresh milk but the amount is not as much as formula milk. I’m worried that she is missing out those nutrients and vitamins in the formula milk that may be lacking in fresh milk. I know many would say as long as she eating a nutrition balanced diet, there’s nothing to worry about because it's always better to intake vitamins directly from food source instead of vitamins supplement intake. But the problem is, she’s a fussy eater that makes things worse! We are losing our battle to make her drink formula milk and wondering if any parent has encounter such before and advice any potential solution to overcome this behavior, hopefully only a passing phase.

TIA

dfstan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Toddler stop drinking Formula Milk - Concern or Happy???

Postby cherrygal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm

My friend stopped all formula milk for her kid at 1yo. She gave him fresh milk or goat's milk from the fridge.

My gal also doesn't like formula milk so we had to coax her to drink by putting nice cereal in the milk (don't make it too warm). She drinks more milk if we feed her using a spoon.

Sometimes, it's not the milk they don't want. She may just want the milk in a sippy cup or big-girl cup. Try using straws.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 pm

My kids never took formula. They don't even drink much fresh milk. They prefer yoghurt and cheese. DS1 is also a fussy eater. But they are growing well. PD said nothing to worry about. If you are really concerned about her getting her vitamins and minerals, maybe try vitamin tablets/syrups?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jenao » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:42 pm

I think you shld be happy! Formula milk definitely has a yucky taste that makes you vomit. Try it yourself and you will know how yucky it is. Moreover, formula milk is processed. If you want her to drink milk, give her fresh milk. Fresh is better than processed. In US or Australia where fresh milk are readily available, you can hardly find formula milk for kids above 1 yr old. My kids also never took formula and went straight to fresh milk.

Just my 2 cents.

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Oh yes! Maybe someone fed her fresh milk without you knowing? My son was addicted to his formula up until the time we went abroad. I was so worried I freighted tins and tins of his formula over. After one gulp of fresh milk, he never looked back.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 pm

fresh milk is so much yummier than formula which taste and smell artificial.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Due to allergies, both my children had very little formula milk and fresh milk. DS1 only had about four (baby) bottles of formula milk in his whole life, and fresh milk only after three years old. DS2 never had formula milk and very little fresh milk.

The vitamins and minerals in formula milk may be limited in bioavailibility. Nothing like the real food. If she is fussy about food, here are a few things to consider:
- observe to see if it's taste or texture that she is particular to and adjust accordingly.
- If she often has runny nose, she may not have much of an appetite because she can't smell her food well.
- bored with the same thing? Introduce different preparation methods, different kinds of food, texture and colors.
- make sure she has enough outdoor time to stimulate appetite.

hth
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Oh yes! Maybe someone fed her fresh milk without you knowing? My son was addicted to his formula up until the time we went abroad. I was so worried I freighted tins and tins of his formula over. After one gulp of fresh milk, he never looked back.

LOL!! What did you do with those extra tins?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 pm

MummyThreeStreams wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:Oh yes! Maybe someone fed her fresh milk without you knowing? My son was addicted to his formula up until the time we went abroad. I was so worried I freighted tins and tins of his formula over. After one gulp of fresh milk, he never looked back.

I put them high up in a cupboard and when we moved back, we forgot all about them... Maybe they are still there!! :yikes:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
MummyThreeStreams wrote:

I put them high up in a cupboard and when we moved back, we forgot all about them... Maybe they are still there!! :yikes:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
My premie DS started drinking fresh milk rather early too..
First we added Pediasure to fresh milk, now he takes mainly flavoured fresh milk or we just add cocoa powder/milo.. :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Health