Dental Braces

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Dental Braces

Postby Apricot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

My dd is 13 years old and will be getting dental braces done soon. I am not sure whether she should be getting the normal metal braces or the self-ligating ceramic ones. The price difference is $1000 more for self-ligating braces. Is it true that the self-ligating ones are more effective/comfortable than the normal metal ones and hence worth the price? Can someone share ?

Apricot
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Dental Braces

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 pm

dd just got her braces done. She can't bite and thus can't eat. What should I do?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fat Mama » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Let her eat soft food like porridge.

The uncomfortable tight feeling will go away in a few days.

Every time tighten braces, she will feel uncomfortable for a while. She will get used to it soon.

Fat Mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:dd just got her braces done. She can't bite and thus can't eat. What should I do?

Ditto Fat Mama's advice. I did the same with my dds too. If the pain gets too intense, let her take panadol for pain relief. It will get better a few days later.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Apricot wrote:My dd is 13 years old and will be getting dental braces done soon. I am not sure whether she should be getting the normal metal braces or the self-ligating ceramic ones. The price difference is $1000 more for self-ligating braces. Is it true that the self-ligating ones are more effective/comfortable than the normal metal ones and hence worth the price? Can someone share ?

Think it's ok to have the normal metal braces. Those are good enough for our teens. There will be discomfort for both ceramic and metal ones. So not worth paying $1k more for ceramic unless u want it for aesthetic or medical reasons. The child will get used to the braces after a while - usually 1 -2 weeks later, depending on the child's tolerance level.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Thank-you for sharing.
Guess will take some days for dd to get used to this foreign thing on her teeth.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Apricot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

schweppes wrote:
Apricot wrote:My dd is 13 years old and will be getting dental braces done soon. I am not sure whether she should be getting the normal metal braces or the self-ligating ceramic ones. The price difference is $1000 more for self-ligating braces. Is it true that the self-ligating ones are more effective/comfortable than the normal metal ones and hence worth the price? Can someone share ?

Think it's ok to have the normal metal braces. Those are good enough for our teens. There will be discomfort for both ceramic and metal ones. So not worth paying $1k more for ceramic unless u want it for aesthetic or medical reasons. The child will get used to the braces after a while - usually 1 -2 weeks later, depending on the child's tolerance level.

:thankyou: My dd did the normal metal braces.

Apricot
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 am

Apricot wrote:
schweppes wrote:Think it's ok to have the normal metal braces. Those are good enough for our teens. There will be discomfort for both ceramic and metal ones. So not worth paying $1k more for ceramic unless u want it for aesthetic or medical reasons. The child will get used to the braces after a while - usually 1 -2 weeks later, depending on the child's tolerance level.

Most welcome, Apricot :wink: Hope your dd is getting used to the braces. She can look forward to changing the rubber band colours on each visit. My dd's dentist mention that some of her patients wear the colours to suit a festive season, like red and green for Christmas, orange for Halloween, green for spring. :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winchester » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 am

Apricot wrote:

was it fast painless? how much it cost roughly?

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby missy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi all...........where did your dds get their braces done?
And at what price is reasonable?
Thank you in advance :)

missy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Health