Thumb Injuries (Caught by Metal Gate)

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Thumb Injuries (Caught by Metal Gate)

Postby ecyh75 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi,

I need advise on this issue...

My 3 year old gal right thumb was hurt when her elder sister close the metal gate on her thumb.
There was no swelling but she is unable to show the "OK" sign.
We brought her to a TCM and he applied some medicated oil and bandage her thumb.
Sharing with us that her tendon and nerves are injured.

We decided to go KKH for an X-ray and Doctor see no fracture from the X-Ray.
He also advise to remove the bandage.

The next morning, we notice that her thumb is stiff and it only lossen up after massaging it for a few minutes.

Does anyone has such experience with your Kids before??

Many thanks for sharing if you have...

ecyh75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Thumb Injuries (Caught by Metal Gate)

Postby cherrygal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 am

I had a similar injury before on my index finger though (clamped it in my car door, ouch). The GP bandaged my index, together with my middle finger (using it as a splint) with some self-adhesive light bandage. This was to heal any hairline fractures if any (not easily seen with x-ray). If you see a bruise, put hirudoid cream. I also couldn't bend my index finger then. But now it's perfectly fine. Took about 1 - 2 weeks for complete recovery.

I won't suggest going to TCM or tuina when there's injury. And stop massaging it coz you may do more damage now esp if anything is torn.

Once it's healed, do some exercises with the injured finger. I believe she can't do (or refuses to do) the OK sign now becoz she's in pain, not becoz tendons are torn etc. Dun get too alarmed. Things take time to heal.

Buy the self-adhesive light bandage from pharmacies. Very easy to use.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Thumb Injuries (Caught by Metal Gate)

Postby cherrygal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 am

BTW, the first aid to do when your kid's finger gets clamped (no open wound) should be to put a cold compress over it to reduce swelling and pain. Ice water in a plastic bag should work fine.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Health