Any children suffering from Migraine?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Any children suffering from Migraine?

Postby Sotong1209 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 am

Hello Mummies,
Just checking if any of your kids do have migraine before? What's their age when they start and what medicine or prevention did you provide?

Sotong1209
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BeContented » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 am

Sotong1209 wrote:Hello Mummies,
Just checking if any of your kids do have migraine before? What's their age when they start and what medicine or prevention did you provide?

Me no child liao :)
But I was a migraine sufferer since ~7yo. Would first have severe headache in the afternoon which would normally progress to weakness and nausea and eventually vomitting. After vomit would feel a lot better. Normally, once the headache starts, will have to go to quiet & dark room to rest (cover eyes & ear with pillow and curl up). Frequency is ~2-3 times a week.

As I reach upper primary, it became less frequent......maybe 1-2 times every fortnight and less intensity and vomit less too. Adult, even lesser.

Medication.....unless you wanna use painkiller eg. panadol, else, dun think there's much medication....it's more of prevention.

For me, when I grew up, then I realised/discovered that one of the major cause is bright sunlight coupled with hot weather. Sometimes too much loud noise also trigger the headache.
So now I avoid bright sunlight, it need to, will wear sunshades. Also avoid places toooo loud & noisy for too long.

My DS & DD (12 & 11yo) would sometimes complain of headache too. Bright sunlight and weather too hot seems to be one of the culprit...... When too hot, i asked them to try putting some water on their neck/face to cool themselves down while in school. Sometimes, when my DD gets too stressed (from school), she seems to complain too......

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re:

Postby jedamum » Wed May 02, 2012 11:31 am

BeContented wrote:
Sotong1209 wrote:Hello Mummies,

Me no child liao :)
But I was a migraine sufferer since ~7yo. Would first have severe headache in the afternoon which would normally progress to weakness and nausea and eventually vomitting. After vomit would feel a lot better. Normally, once the headache starts, will have to go to quiet & dark room to rest (cover eyes & ear with pillow and curl up). Frequency is ~2-3 times a week.

As I reach upper primary, it became less frequent......maybe 1-2 times every fortnight and less intensity and vomit less too. Adult, even lesser.

Medication.....unless you wanna use painkiller eg. panadol, else, dun think there's much medication....it's more of prevention.

For me, when I grew up, then I realised/discovered that one of the major cause is bright sunlight coupled with hot weather. Sometimes too much loud noise also trigger the headache.
So now I avoid bright sunlight, it need to, will wear sunshades. Also avoid places toooo loud & noisy for too long.

My DS & DD (12 & 11yo) would sometimes complain of headache too. Bright sunlight and weather too hot seems to be one of the culprit...... When too hot, i asked them to try putting some water on their neck/face to cool themselves down while in school. Sometimes, when my DD gets too stressed (from school), she seems to complain too......

my 9yo complained of headache last year. usually stems from exam period, too much homework (even before start homework, he looks at the list and deadline and start to have headache), long day at school and probably 'motion sickness?' (that's why we cannot schedule enrichment during weekdays as travelling by bus/waiting for bus under the hotsun also gives him headache and to add that he thinks about his uncompleted homework during enrichment class).
he still gets headaches nowadays, but he hides it from me. he said the frequency and intensity is lesser (thankfully he has not vomitted from it yet, although most intense ones progressed to fever ...but that was last year.....3-4x) and he will take naps of 10-15min and claims the headache goes away after it.he also demands lesser from himself this year, so the stress level must have dropped i guess.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Any children suffering from Migraine?

Postby Sotong1209 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 am

Checked with the doc that Migraine can be inherited. My 6 year old last Sat complained of headache and brought her to PD and PD says it should be migraine as she complained that left side of her head is painful. I suspect that last Sat was too hot and until Sun she still complained pain. So in the end I gave her Panadol and she was well the next morning.

I am a migraine sufferer myself...as was quite worried for her lor. Haizzz. Heard from the PD , even as young as 4 yrs old will have migraine also. As for me I got migraine when I am 8 yrs old. Sighhh......

Sotong1209
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 am

I am not a child either. But I suffer from migraine and thought it is might be good to share to gain better understanding as what one goes through.

It started after the birth of my 3rd child. My symptons are :
* Cannot see clearly eg. cannot focus on words at all. Things are in black/ blank patches.
* I usually need to sleep it off. However, once the vision is clear a terrible headache will strike.
* In bad cases, I will feel nausea.

It's really bad to have migraine. It's different from the normal headache which just goes tock tock tock. For migraine, it will leave me unable to function at all since I cannot see things clearly and the headache is intense till you feel nausea. So I would imagine it is really bad for a kid to be suffering from migraine.

I've a cousin who was a scholar. He is in his late 40's. However due to his frequent migraine problem, it affected his career. So despite being a scholar, his career didn't fly. I heard he gets frequent attacks.

I used to have very sudden attacks weekly. My mum started brewing some chinese herbs for me and after that, it curbed the attack. I take the herbs on a weekly basis. I just had an attack last week and this was after many months. My cousin also started to take the same herbs and heard his attack is less frequent too.

According to my GP, wine and chocolate will trigger off migraine. I avoid wine as I did have a very bad attack after that. So I don't want to take chances. Beer on the other hand seems ok. However, choc seems ok for me so far.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sotong1209 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I think the chinese herb should be "Tian Ma". My dad took it and he was cured. I am thinking once my gal gets older, probably will bring her to TCM for prescription.

Sotong1209
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Sotong1209 wrote:I think the chinese herb should be "Tian Ma". My dad took it and he was cured. I am thinking once my gal gets older, probably will bring her to TCM for prescription.

Yes, it is tian ma and other stuff. Asked to add pig brain too. But due to cholestrol, my mum seldom include that and the effect is still as good. I have been taking for years. It doesn't cure but at least it curb the occurence.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Health