tonsils removal

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

tonsils removal

Postby chixchix » Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Mummies,

my 9 year old is having his tonsils removed soon. Can any mummy share your child's experience ?

What kind of food to give after surgery ? What are the do's and donts ?

Thanks!

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: tonsils removal

Postby lilfeets » Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

My dughter had her tonsils and adenoid removed when she was 3 years old. It has been 3 years now. Of course cried when wake up rom GA cause pain and scared no mummy in recovery at KKH. But they gave her ice cream to numb the pain and soft food for few days. She was ok after that. Nothing much to worry about. Daughter had milk also when she doesn't want to eat. Small thing really.

lilfeets
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MizzNAH » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Gave her moral support. I have it removed too and I must say that it was really painful and inconvenience for the first few weeks after the removal.

MizzNAH
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Beansprout » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:31 pm

When my ds was 2+ the ENT doctor at kkh also advised ds to remove his tonsils. The way he said it (at that time) seemed to me with no empathy. I didn't go for it and till now he is alright now. I learnt that when his body over heat, the tonsils will grow and may cause him to have fever. So what I do is when weather is hot I brew Liang teh, barley water and chrysanthemum tea to cool his body down. It helps. I know the tonsils will never kick away but I rather do it when he is older. My cousin did tonsils removal before, he said very painful but it was like 20 years ago. Now with advance tech, maybe not so painful. But can you wait until maybe 16 or older. 9 years old sill young.

Beansprout
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lilfeets » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am

Beansprout wrote:When my ds was 2+ the ENT doctor at kkh also advised ds to remove his tonsils. The way he said it (at that time) seemed to me with no empathy. I didn't go for it and till now he is alright now. I learnt that when his body over heat, the tonsils will grow and may cause him to have fever. So what I do is when weather is hot I brew Liang teh, barley water and chrysanthemum tea to cool his body down. It helps. I know the tonsils will never kick away but I rather do it when he is older. My cousin did tonsils removal before, he said very painful but it was like 20 years ago. Now with advance tech, maybe not so painful. But can you wait until maybe 16 or older. 9 years old sill young.

In my opinon, i think it is good to do it early. Again, depends ont eh needs. In my DD case, her breathing was obstructed. The longer we wake, she will have to deal with not breathing well, thus not eating well, gettign tired and often sick etc. It is a vicious cycle. After the op, I have a brand new girl - Lively, eats better and more attentive. Also, at older age, have to miss school. Missing out in kinddy is not big deal but missing primary school may find it hard to catch up. not to mention you need to keep the child at home prior to op to ensure that the kid does not catch any bugs from school before the op or will need to postpone. Very tedious.

lilfeets
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Health