Diarrhoea? Rice Water to the rescue!

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Diarrhoea? Rice Water to the rescue!

Postby RRMummy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm

[Editor's note: Topic selected for Portal publication.]

Hi All,

I would like to share a little old folk remedy which I learnt from an old auntie... I used to be very stressed out when my DD was down with diarrhoea. We saw the doctor who gave medication but it was slow to work... until I found out the secret is in rice water. As a matter of fact, even my then Indonesian maid also knew about it! I have found it effective again and again.

My auntie instructed me to boil some rice in lots of water. I was very skeptical about this folk remedy, which seemed so primitive to me. Never heard of this cure before. To my surprise, it worked, and my DD was up and running as normal again the very next day.

Some searching made me stumble upon these info:

It is said that a Prof Wong Hock Boon had presented a paper on it at some conference after he had done clinical trials. His results were published in the Lancet, the Medical Journal all doctors read. It is also said that he was credited for saving the lives of 2 million African babies by this method.

Impressive, right!!

It is rice water and not rice that does the trick. You take a handful of rice and boil it in a large saucepan with lots of water. Like three or four large glasses. Then you cool that and drink the water. If you are in a hurry to relieve the ailing person, take the saucepan off the fire and dunk it in a frying pan or basin of cool water with ice cubes if necessary. This gives the patient a chance to drink the rice water sooner and cure himself or herself sooner.

When drinking the rice water, make sure there is lots of it. You have to tell the patient that enough water must go in to line your guts from throat to other end, all 10 to 12 metres of it. If you take rice, it stays in the stomach. If you take broth, some of it may go into the small intestine. But if you take rice water, it will carry rice grains to every inch of your small and large intestine to the end where the problem is.

Also, check this out: http://rehydrate.org/dd/dd06.htm#page2

It is good to pass on the news to everyone you know because the complaint is so common and people suffer unnecessarily. You would be doing your friends a great favour to relieve them of their misery when the occasion arises.

:celebrate:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby clarabella » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Hiya RRMummy!
Great sharing! Thank you! Now I have another weapon to wield, in addition to my trusty probiotics :D

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RRMummy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi clarabella,

You are most welcome. I used to be very reliant on Lactoel forte and Smectite before I learnt this little trick..

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby heyhoe » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes, thanks RRMummy. My youngest ds is prone to diarrohea.

Will definitely give this a try. :wink:

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby RRMummy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:10 am

heyhoe wrote:Yes, thanks RRMummy. My youngest ds is prone to diarrohea.

Will definitely give this a try. :wink:

Yo heyhoe, hope it works its wonders for your kiddo too... keep me updated okay!

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Diarrhoea? Rice Water to the rescue!

Postby sharon123456 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:20 pm

I notice the food I eat passes through my intestines very quickly - for example, I could eat certain food now, and in less than an hour, I need to go toilet to pass it out.

It is not diarrhoea, but the food is just not absorbed well in my body through my guts. I wonder if anyone experiences this??

As I was searching through this 'Health' thread, I came across this rice water miracles.
I wonder if it would work for my case?
I suppose there is no harm giving it a try...

Anyone has any good doctor to recommend for such symptom?

sharon123456
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:52 pm

don't think there is any issue with trying rice water. though I wonder if your conditiom may have something to do with absorption ability of your intestines...perhaps probiotics to improve the good bacteria?

I started taking some...just bought off the shelves at pharmacies. Also the no harm trying type.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ammonite » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:59 am

sharon123456 wrote:I notice the food I eat passes through my intestines very quickly - for example, I could eat certain food now, and in less than an hour, I need to go toilet to pass it out.

It is not diarrhoea, but the food is just not absorbed well in my body through my guts. I wonder if anyone experiences this??

As I was searching through this 'Health' thread, I came across this rice water miracles.
I wonder if it would work for my case?
I suppose there is no harm giving it a try...

Anyone has any good doctor to recommend for such symptom?

Used to happen to my ds2. He had food intolerance and the worst offender for him was egg. His digestion for fat was also very bad when he was taking wheat, but this improved greatly once wheat and egg were removed. He can take both now though we still watch the quantities.

You can keep a food diary to observe for a pattern. Start with simple meals so it is easier for you to keep track.

TCM can help. My neighbour's son was the same and she relied on TCM to improve his digestion. He went from scrawny to beefy in a year.

Mine however reacted badly to TCM (but the formula was for something else) and we decided not to take that route. Instead I gave him traditional Chinese soup for strengthening the digestion while removing food he could not tolerate.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby White_Gale » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:33 am

Wow, thanks for sharing. will keep this in mind and try it!

White_Gale
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 am

You may have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? You can google and read up on it and see if that is the case. My husband has suffered from that all his life. There is no cure as far as we can see, but he controls it by avoiding foods that irritate his gut (learned and observed over the years!), and also takes probiotics which seems to help. For foods that irritate his gut, the obvious ones were chilli, curry spices and dairy, but recently, we read reports about "high FODMAP" foods which can be triggers for IBS. By process of elimination, we have discovered a few more foods that irritate his gut, and that has helped. Again, google and read up. Not everyone with IBS suffers from the same sensitivities and to the same degree, so it's very much a trial and error thing for each individual.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Health