How to reduce bad cholesterol?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

How to reduce bad cholesterol?

Postby Otah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am

Yah, exercise, avoid seafood,.......experts say so, but so much effort and yet seems no tangible result. Hope anyone here can share your best effective way(s) to see result within a short time span.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to reduce bad cholesterol?

Postby DebDerris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:06 pm

kids tend to go off on their own and pick up fries and what not to eat

teching them about values of fruits and veggies is a good starting point. the child will learn and will do this himself.

also, focus on good quality milk!

DebDerris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Otah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

DebDerris wrote:kids tend to go off on their own and pick up fries and what not to eat

teching them about values of fruits and veggies is a good starting point. the child will learn and will do this himself.

also, focus on good quality milk!

Does kids need to bother high cholesteral problem? Here I am referring to adult.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby t_mother of swc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Usually kids do not have high cholesterol, for adults, you can eat more fish and food with omega 3 fatty acids and also high fibre foods and exercise. By doing so I have lowered my cholesterol.

t_mother of swc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Otah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:31 pm

t_mother of swc wrote:Usually kids do not have high cholesterol, for adults, you can eat more fish and food with omega 3 fatty acids and also high fibre foods and exercise. By doing so I have lowered my cholesterol.

Thanks for responding. How soon do you see your result improve? did you strictly follow a diet plan that only contain only all these food ?

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby t_mother of swc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:59 pm

After about half a year, I did not strictly follow this diet but I cut down on oily food and I replace most of my meat with fish.

And started exercising once a week.

t_mother of swc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Pen88n » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Start by having more veg in your diet. Also add in oily fish like salmon and cod fish. Reduce the meat portion. Have more soup - veg or herbal soup are all good. Reduce processed food intake.

Fruits and fruit juice are good addition too.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:35 pm

There are 2 main reasons for high cholesterol:
A. lifestyle and diet
B. genetics.

For most people, it is the case with A - lifestyle and diet. So just need to change that by reducing intake of high cholesterol foods such as squid, prawns, crabs, etc. Fried foods contains transfat with is not good. Regular exercise helps to build up strength and endurance, and help your body function better. Other foods / supplements that may be beneficial:

1. Pu-erh tea and green tea. They are both good, but may tend to be too acidic for some. Start in moderation and see if your body react negatively. Beware of the caffeine content in these tea.

2. Rooibos tea - african tea. This can be steeped in a cup, or boiled for 10 minutes. Some says the effect is better after boiling. Benefit of rooibos tea over others is that it has NO CAFFEINE so you can drink it all day long. It is the safest tea around as even infants and pregnant mothers can drink it. Make a pot and drink all day long ... A friend with very high cholestrol did this for 6 months and had his cholestrol reduced significantly.

3. Flaxseed, omega 3, 6, etc. Google on this... Flaxseed can be added to bread, cakes, oat, cereal, etc. Omega 3 and 6 does not reduce the bad cholestrol, but it contains the good cholestrol ....

Disclaimer: Info as per my personal experience and understanding

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:44 pm

1. take oat for breakfast everyday(no sugar or milk)
2. take fresh celery everyday (one serving portion)
3. reduce half of rice intake
4. go for soup based food
5. no seafood
6. no fried stuff
7. no heavy dinner and take it before 7pm
8. no sweets, cakes, can drinks and tibits
9. take some fruit juice 2-3 time a week

try this for a month and see how it goes.....

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SandS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Just attended a short talk on this a few months ago. If I didn't remember wrongly, those who genetically have high bad cholesterol (LDL); the only way is to exercise to convert the bad cholesterol to good cholesterol (HDL).

Defination of exercise :
Maximum Heart Rate (MHR = 220 - age)
Target Heart Rate (THR = 65% of MHR)

1. Maintain THR for 20 to 30 minutes
2. 3 times or more per week

Food intake (as mentioned by previous posts) is to avoid additional bad cholesterol.

SandS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Health