Women's Health After Birth - Gynae, Skin, Bones, Etc...

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Women's Health After Birth - Gynae, Skin, Bones, Etc...

Postby osim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:16 pm

This thread was formally "Women - 40 and beautiful". Have change the topic title so more women (even those below 40) can share their experience.
Last edited by osim on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Women - 40 and Beautiful

Postby osim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I've been considering tubal ligation. My GP think there's no point since
I am 45 and menopause is coming in a few years time. She advised to use IUD or another type called Meerana (not sure of spelling).

Meerana will stop menstruation. I understand reducing menstrual cycles in women can reduce risk of ovarian cancer. This option seem attractive and not terribly expensive.

Can any one with experience in the above please advise about effects, side effects that was experienced.

TIA!

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby happyheart » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm

osim wrote:I've been considering tubal ligation. My GP think there's no point since
I am 45 and menopause is coming in a few years time. She advised to use IUD or another type called Meerana (not sure of spelling).

Meerana will stop menstruation. I understand reducing menstrual cycles in women can reduce risk of ovarian cancer. This option seem attractive and not terribly expensive.

Can any one with experience in the above please advise about effects, side effects that was experienced.

TIA!

Hi,
The IUD insert is call Mirena. It is a good option compared to tubal ligation which is rather intrusive. those with cysts or fibroids will not qualified as the 'extra' can alter the position and deem not effective for contraceptive purposes. My SIL did it this year (early 40's) and she absolutely love it. She was previously on pills and claimed that she has been stupid not to have done it earlier! Not side effects for her.
I have another friend who has it for last 5 years, also no side effects. She did say there is an adjustment period when you first do the insert. For her, She has light continuous flow for a while but no major discomfort. After that, her monthly flow is minimal and she just need to use liner instead of normal flow sanitary pad. I like to think that the effect differs from one body to another.

Hope it helps!

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm

osim wrote:I've been considering tubal ligation. My GP think there's no point since

TIA!

The correct spelling is Mirena. I have used it twice. The first time was about 6 years ago after I stopped breastfeeding. I belonged to the 25% who still experienced light periods for the next 6 months. After the six months, it stopped completely.

The second time was about 1 year ago. Mirena can last for 5-6 years only.

I believe Mirena is the safest contraception around, because the gynae who delivered my kids, said it was very popular among those in the same profession. His wife (a GP) was using it too. The new gynae I go to (a lady) also uses it.

I highly recommend it. I don't experience any side effects but my DH thinks that it may be the cause of my flares sometimes. :rotflmao:

In case you are also considering taking the contraceptive pills, DON't. My friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and she told me contraceptive pills was the cause. There's no breast cancer history in her family.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby osim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks Happyheart and Picolo,

Very useful info. Is the insert painful and do you feel something is there all the time? I am quite afraid of foreign bodies inside my body and also afraid of chemicals going into my bloodstream that may upset my system. If it just stops cycle and no other side effects, sounds good.

How much did you pay per round, Picolo, if your gynae is female, can you pm and recommend me. I was told it cost around 500.

BTW, I like the name you gals chose. Wonder if I can change osim to something else. It's kinda lame advertising for that chair :lol:

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Picolo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:09 pm

osim wrote:Thanks Happyheart and Picolo,

Very useful info. Is the insert painful and do you feel something is there all the time? I am quite afraid of foreign bodies inside my body and also afraid of chemicals going into my bloodstream that may upset my system. If it just stops cycle and no other side effects, sounds good.

How much did you pay per round, Picolo, if your gynae is female, can you pm and recommend me. I was told it cost around 500.

BTW, I like the name you gals chose. Wonder if I can change osim to something else. It's kinda lame advertising for that chair :lol:

Hi Osim,

No, it is not painful though I have to admit going through the process with the fear wasn't pleasant at all. Most impt is to relax. Good that the procedure can be done in a minute. Basically the gynae just assists to insert the Mirena thingy, after that, you can walk like normal. She's at Mt E, so after the insertion, I just hopped over to the next building to shop :imcool: Will PM you her contacts. It should be around $500 that she charged, sorry I really cannot remember. My ex-gynae charged very high.

I think you can change your nick if you really wish too (can email/PM moderator to check). But Osim is cute too, err... your surname is Sim?

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby happyheart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Picolo wrote:
osim wrote:Thanks Happyheart and Picolo,

Hi Osim,

No, it is not painful though I have to admit going through the process with the fear wasn't pleasant at all. Most impt is to relax. Good that the procedure can be done in a minute. Basically the gynae just assists to insert the Mirena thingy, after that, you can walk like normal. She's at Mt E, so after the insertion, I just hopped over to the next building to shop :imcool: Will PM you her contacts. It should be around $500 that she charged, sorry I really cannot remember. My ex-gynae charged very high.

I think you can change your nick if you really wish too (can email/PM moderator to check). But Osim is cute too, err... your surname is Sim?

Picolo,
You are right, I think the price range is about there.

Osim,
you are kind of cute... nickname Osim is just fine, cute mah! I share the same gynae with my SIL. Gynae is KT Tan from KK Hospital. I have read some review about her commenting that she is not friendly etc. For me, I have good experience as she ' stitched' me up really well after my 2nd delivery, I could walk around and sit upright while breastfeeding by noon, I delivered my baby past midnight that same day), not a single pain and the recovery is smooth. My mum was shocked! Compared to my first gynae from GH, whom talked a lot, her skills are far better. When my 2nd DS almost went into early delivery at 34 wks, she came to the hospital on a sunday to check on me. I must agree that she is quick and can appear 'cold' during her routine check and I have no issue.

My point is , she is really skillful and quick with her hands despite some negative comments on some forum. when My SIL did her Mirena this year, her hubby was surprised that she was done in 5 mins while waiting outside the room.

Having said that, I am in no way related to her :) but I really like her skil. Even my hubby commented....you know what I mean right? :evil:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby osim » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am

:wink: My surname is not Sim, Pico. Thanks for pm.

Happyheart, thanks for contact too and also the feedback. My gynae was also the same, the MCP type but skillful.

Just one more question. You see, I do Yoga and there is a lot of intense squeezing and stretching at the pelvis in certain postures. Will Mirena get displaced. I will check with my yoga teacher next week but will be nice to know from those with experience.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Picolo, thanks for sharing. :please: Very useful. Can PM me her contact too. I was supposed to do it end of this year with my gynae but I got pregnant (again!) :shrug: and delivered my #4 abt 3mths ago. Gynae advised me to stop breastfeeding prior to coming for that said appointment after I delivered my #3. My gynae also mentioned similar price range abt $500 plus. How is she personality wise? I normally prefer male doctors as they're more endearing to the female species especially in this line. The female ones I ever got are either stern.. unfriendly or outrightly GARANG! Cos they're women too and seem to have the yaa yaa I know, I'm a woman too.. I know how it's like. It's normal hullo.. :P So... the flares? Where they really side effects or not? :lol: btw Picolo, someone ever mentioned that Mirena releases something that can be cancer-induced so quite scary. Any thoughts or knowledge on this? One last thing... when you say Mirena is a good form of contraception, means no accidents? :nailbite: Not at all? :evil:

Btw, I'm not 40. Image

But just kaypoh-ing here.. :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:41 pm

osim wrote::wink: My surname is not Sim, Pico. Thanks for pm.

Happyheart, thanks for contact too and also the feedback. My gynae was also the same, the MCP type but skillful.

Just one more question. You see, I do Yoga and there is a lot of intense squeezing and stretching at the pelvis in certain postures. Will Mirena get displaced. I will check with my yoga teacher next week but will be nice to know from those with experience.

Just be assured that it should never be displaced :rotflmao: this way, you see, that Mirena IUD goes quite deep. It has a string attached to it and the gynae looks for this string to remove the Mirena thingy 5 years later. I heard from a lady before I first did the insertion that her gynae cut the string too long and her hubby can feel it during :censored: That kind of worried me and the first time I went for it, I requested the gynae to cut the string 'shorter'. When I had to go back to her to get the old Mirena removed and new one inserted, the drama unfolded ... she couldn't find the string! :rotflmao: told me that if the string was really lost, then I have to be admitted into the hospital. She said that matter-of-factly, in a very calm manner and I didn't sweat too. Then tada! Luckily the string decided to resurface. So, old one out and new one now... While doing the new insertion, she told me this time she was doing within the recommended length for the string. LOL :lol: Both times, I could n't feel that strings at all and it's :dancing: GREAT!!!

To further assure you, I have been doing yoga for years too. In the past few years it was Hot Yoga (means yoga in a heated/steamed room). 100% accident-free so far. No worries lah.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Health