Surgery for squint eye

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Surgery for squint eye

Postby EASON MAGPIES » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:58 am

Hi all

My DD is 2.5 years old. Doctor had diagnose her as having lazy eye and squint eye. She is said to lack 3D vision because of her squint eye meaning she cannot differentiate heights. That also means she cannot see a flight of staircase, to her the floor is all flat. We did notice she has problem climbing up and down staircases. She still have to hold our hand at her age.

We have only seen 1 KK doctor so far for the last 12 months and now her recommendation is to have eye surgery. She is saying its a day surgery with very minimum risk to pull her eyes muscle back. The surgery is suppose to have an 80% chance of correcting her squint so that she can develop 3D vision as she grows up. 20% failure which means more surgery might be needed.

Doctor told us that if we do not do the surgery, there is no chance she will ever develop 3D vision.

Now me and DW is worried if we should let her do the surgery at such a young age. I myself was lucky enough to have never ever did a surgery in my whole life, not even minor one unless you count wisdom tooth.

The doctor did mention there is 0.01% chance of blindness. Her exact words were like being knocked down by the bus while crossing a traffic light. BUT Hey...people do get knocked down before !!

I was thinking of seeing another doctor probably at NUH to get a second opinion. We probably cannot afford private eye specialist but even if we can, seeing how doctor are in Singapore, most likely it would be the same recommendation - surgery !

One of my friends recommend Acupuncture and swear it works on her kids.

So dear parents, anyone been through the same experience or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

EASON MAGPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby cnimed » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 am

How many times have you seen this doctor in the past year? You definitely have to do something about it, including seek second opinion, but I too would be wary about surgery at such a young age.

My cousin's son had squint eye too, and as it was more obvious as he got older. My cousin waited before doing the surgery, and he is perfectly okay now. He wears glasses for shortsightedness.

Another friend's daughter had lazy eye and was supposed to do patching. Same thing, doctor said could go blind in one eye if she does not do patching seriously. She was about seven then. So far no surgery. She's nine now.

I do not know how severe your child's squint is, but I would definitely go for a second opinion. You can ask to see another opthamologist within KKH Eye Center itself, and also ask about the orthopist's service. Orthopists work with eye muscles through eye exercises and various optical devices. The thing is she is rather young, so it may be hard to get her to follow the orthopist instructions. You can also go to the Singapore Eye Center.

My son has compromised 3 d perception as part of his Irlen Syndrome and he did have some spectacular falls. You DO have to be very careful when crossing the roads or in car parks. There were times when he was directly in the path of cars and he was so sure they are not heading for him. He had also fallen down entire flight of stairs before. For him, gym helped a lot to increase spatial awareness and in teaching him how to fall more safely.

Do note that because her vision is compromised, she may rely more on sounds to help her understand her surroundings. She may become more sensitized to sounds, and to the different tone of your voices, rather than reading facial cues. When her vision improves in future through whichever means you may choose to take, you may want to spend some time helping her to recognize facial cues and reading expressions.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby EASON MAGPIES » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 am

Thank you so much for the reply.

My DD is seeing the KK eye doctor and it was her who suggested surgery. I did even really notice my DD squint so to me it is not so serious. It was my DW who notice it. Ofcourse she spend more time with her. It is most serious when she is watching TV or focusing directly on something than one of the eyeball seem to move away.

I am thinking of going to the Singapore Eye Center. We would need to go to a polyclinic to get a letter so as to get subsidized rate. I was just thinking that if we go through all the process only to have the same recommendation again and since its supposed to be a minor day surgery perhaps we should just do it. If she is older, I would likely to be able to judge better.

Guess better to be safer to seek second opinion !

Thanks again !

EASON MAGPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby JAR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 am

EASON MAGPIES wrote:Hi all

My DD is 2.5 years old. Doctor had diagnose her as having lazy eye and squint eye. She is said to lack 3D vision because of her squint eye meaning she cannot differentiate heights. That also means she cannot see a flight of staircase, to her the floor is all flat. We did notice she has problem climbing up and down staircases. She still have to hold our hand at her age.

We have only seen 1 KK doctor so far for the last 12 months and now her recommendation is to have eye surgery. She is saying its a day surgery with very minimum risk to pull her eyes muscle back. The surgery is suppose to have an 80% chance of correcting her squint so that she can develop 3D vision as she grows up. 20% failure which means more surgery might be needed.

Doctor told us that if we do not do the surgery, there is no chance she will ever develop 3D vision.

Now me and DW is worried if we should let her do the surgery at such a young age. I myself was lucky enough to have never ever did a surgery in my whole life, not even minor one unless you count wisdom tooth.

The doctor did mention there is 0.01% chance of blindness. Her exact words were like being knocked down by the bus while crossing a traffic light. BUT Hey...people do get knocked down before !!

I was thinking of seeing another doctor probably at NUH to get a second opinion. We probably cannot afford private eye specialist but even if we can, seeing how doctor are in Singapore, most likely it would be the same recommendation - surgery !

One of my friends recommend Acupuncture and swear it works on her kids.

So dear parents, anyone been through the same experience or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!


Just to share. My boy was diagnosed with squint eyes(both eyes) and because of that, he also lacks 3D vision. We only discovered this problem when he was in K2(he is P3 now) and he was referred to SNEC for treatment. We were given 2 options : either eye-patching or surgery to correct the problem. We opted for eye patching initially. But, after patching for 1+ years, there are no good improvement in correcting his squinting. We then went ahead with the eye surgery. His eye operation is a great success and his eyes are now straight, no more squinting and is able to see 3D vision. Now he enjoys watching 3D movie.
For my boy's case, we are lucky that his squinting has not led to lazy eye yet and he still maintain perfect eye sight. I saw many young kids with squinting and lazy eye problem ended up with short sightedness and have to put on thick glasses. My personal opinion is try not to delay treatment as it may worsen your kid eye sight if this is not treated timely.

My son's doctor is Dr Quah. He practices in SNEC and KKH, in case you may want to seek a second doctor opinion on your daughter's case.
http://www.snec.com.sg/Pages/doctor-pro ... e%20centre

http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Children ... /Home.aspx

JAR
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby EASON MAGPIES » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 am

Great to hear your success story. Thanks.

I am now seeing the doctor from KK and I was hoping there are other ways to cure than to do surgery. Since my DD is less than 3 years old,I was just very worried about her doing surgery.

We are now thinking of going SNEC to get a second opinion.

EASON MAGPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby virgiea68 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

That's right. Seek for as many options and opinions as you can. It is helpful that you can compare and contrast many of experts opinions.

virgiea68
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby JAR » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 pm

EASON MAGPIES wrote:Great to hear your success story. Thanks.

I am now seeing the doctor from KK and I was hoping there are other ways to cure than to do surgery. Since my DD is less than 3 years old,I was just very worried about her doing surgery.

We are now thinking of going SNEC to get a second opinion.


Since you are thinking of going to SNEC to get a second opinion, one suggestion, unsure if this is allowed. Since my son's doctor Dr Quah practices in SNEC and KKH, is it possible for you to request to be served by Dr Quah for your next appointment at KKH? Dr Quah's clinical area of interests is in Squints ( Strabismus), and i believe it is better to be seen by him than some other eye specialists in SNEC. We were attended by a few other specialists at SNEC before(some are pretty new and inexperienced), we managed to change our visits to match Dr Quah so that my boy can be attended by him.

JAR
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby amusebouche » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I can't offer any other medical or practical advice but here are some things I wanted to share:

Fixing My Gaze by Susan Barry (available in NLB) is a comprehensive and compassionate overview of this condition by a neuroscientist who also had a squint. It’s a well researched book and Barry explains the physiological and experiential aspects of the condition in a manner that is simple to understand. I really recommend reading this.

Life and Times of Stella(http://lifeandtimesofstella.com/) is written by a mum helping her daughter (who also has a squint) to rehabilitate her vision.

And reading deminc's experience reminded me of this article (http://children-special-needs.org/lazy_eye/lazy_eye.html) - a humorous look at the effects of impaired 3D perception.

Good luck with your consultations and your daughter :rahrah: I hope this is useful in understanding her condition!

amusebouche
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby EASON MAGPIES » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 pm

amusebouche wrote:I can't offer any other medical or practical advice but here are some things I wanted to share:

Fixing My Gaze by Susan Barry (available in NLB) is a comprehensive and compassionate overview of this condition by a neuroscientist who also had a squint. It’s a well researched book and Barry explains the physiological and experiential aspects of the condition in a manner that is simple to understand. I really recommend reading this.

Life and Times of Stella(http://lifeandtimesofstella.com/) is written by a mum helping her daughter (who also has a squint) to rehabilitate her vision.

And reading deminc's experience reminded me of this article (http://children-special-needs.org/lazy_eye/lazy_eye.html) - a humorous look at the effects of impaired 3D perception.

Good luck with your consultations and your daughter :rahrah: I hope this is useful in understanding her condition!



Hey thanks for all the reading materials. I now understand what is vision therapy though as my DD is too young, unlikely we can use it but still thanks. Reading about that lady's experience is quite funny too.

EASON MAGPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Surgery for squint eye

Postby EASON MAGPIES » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 pm

JAR wrote:
EASON MAGPIES wrote:Great to hear your success story. Thanks.

I am now seeing the doctor from KK and I was hoping there are other ways to cure than to do surgery. Since my DD is less than 3 years old,I was just very worried about her doing surgery.

We are now thinking of going SNEC to get a second opinion.


Since you are thinking of going to SNEC to get a second opinion, one suggestion, unsure if this is allowed. Since my son's doctor Dr Quah practices in SNEC and KKH, is it possible for you to request to be served by Dr Quah for your next appointment at KKH? Dr Quah's clinical area of interests is in Squints ( Strabismus), and i believe it is better to be seen by him than some other eye specialists in SNEC. We were attended by a few other specialists at SNEC before(some are pretty new and inexperienced), we managed to change our visits to match Dr Quah so that my boy can be attended by him.



Thanks. We would try to ask for Dr Quah but I think it would cost more if we asked for a specific doctor. Still I would find out the cost. Thanks again !

EASON MAGPIES
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Health