Instaling TV/DVD player in the car

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Instaling TV/DVD player in the car

Postby incredigal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 am

Hi, any thoughts / advice on instaling DVD player in the car to keep kids occupied? I have 2 kids - 3 and 2 yr old. Had some friends that recommend this as it keeps their kids' eyes totally glued to screen esp. during road trips to m'sia. But I am still wondering if this is a good thing.

incredigal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby csc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:19 am

We have one in the car but my kids are much bigger, about 12 and 13.

I agree it's great for long road trips like on Malaysian roads and weekend travels to my mum's place in the east (i'm in the west).

My kids used the time to catch up on their fav movies which they don't get to watch at home..(very little TV at home, in fact).
However, the small screen is definitely not good on the eyes and when the children are glued to the screen, all communication is cut- off.

So, lots of parental control is needed here. Again, moderation is the key.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby scoobydoo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Ive got one that came pre-installed with the car. Have never switched it on before. We try not to make it a habit. We'd rather that she observes the outside or chat with us.

scoobydoo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm

It was offered but I declined. I'd like my boys to be able to observe the surroundings and get some sense of the environment, and also learn directions. My 6 yo already has some beginnings of navigational abilities on roads.

TV/Video they can watch at home (too much as it is), on road trips, too many valuable teaching/learning opportunities to pass up.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Carrotree » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi, for me personally, i'm trying to cut down screen time for my kids at home, i restrict their TV & computer hours.. i cannot imagine installing another version of the idiot box in the car then i have to struggle to keep them away...

I guess you have to ask yourself whether you NEED the TV in your car? For me, i keep them occupied by playing "I spy" game, i spy a red car, etc, and they tell me what they can find it. As we travel, if they are bored, we talk about stuff, where is this place, etc, how beautiful clouds are, etc. We play songs on CDs and we sing together and even do actions for fun (of course I'm not the one driving :wink: ) It's a wonderful time to communicate and especially when I hear from others who are sending their kids to school, the car trip is one of those times we can have conversations with our kids in this pressed-for-time world.

My thots, don't install. You will not regret. :D

Carrotree
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Carrotree wrote:My thots, don't install. You will not regret. :D

Completely agree.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pea » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm

My in-laws just bought a new car which comes with this DVD too. I've begged them not to turn it on for my toddler. Not even once.

He's having so much fun in my car now (which does not have this), looking out of the window. Can understand the concept of traffic lights now, can even recognise the way to the familiar places that we go to often. Likes to shout out the name of the place even when we're a few streets away. This is so much better than staring at a tiny TV screen.

But will my in-laws listen to me...? That's the problem. :( How to persuade them?

pea
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:51 pm

pea wrote:But will my in-laws listen to me...? That's the problem. :( How to persuade them?

Show them how much fun your toddler is having WITHOUT the player. And what he will NOT learn if he is glued to the TV.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pea » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:26 pm

They already know all that. The thing is that they are so proud of this new gadget that they want to show it off to him.

Got any reports that say something like "watching TV in a moving car is bad for your eyes" etc? That might work. 8)

pea
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby incredigal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Wow, thanks lots all for the valuable feedback and activity ideas. I'm truly convinced now that the disadvantages (of installation) outweigh the benefits ! Yes... i think our kids today already spend alot of time infront of computer, TV. So defintiely no need for another screen in the car... :roll:

incredigal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Health