Baby keeps falling down

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Baby keeps falling down

Postby smurf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 pm

hmm...dunno where to start...

i was wondering, my 16 mths old boy keeps falling down..and many often, knock/bang his head on the wall/floor and just this noon, he walked along a drain and fell inside... tried to hold him, but he refused and sweep me away...and a big bua lu ku appeared immediately...

happened many times already (falls, but not into drain), bumps appeared after falls...

when I was a teenager, my mum told me the reason why my uncle is slower (she meant stupid la) is because when he was a bb, he fell from a table top to floor...so she advised that never put bb on top. So I'm wondering, is that true??? :? a person's intelligence has somethng to do wth falling down?? will the fall affected the brain development (touchwood!)?? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Baby keeps falling down

Postby jedamum » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:09 am

if fall hit head and head suffer concussion, then may increase probability of undetected head injury (babycenter claims it only happens in rare cases). To scare yourself, you may want to read up about head injury. Remember there was this case of the maid accidentally smash the baby's head against the toilet bowl while bathing the baby and the baby passed away? We can never be too careful.
in any case, my dad also warn me against letting kid fall too often..citing reasons of in case permanent face scar, spine injury etc.
if my kid's motor skills is not good, i will insist to hold his hands regardless of protest - my not-so-good-motorskill ds1 is still holding my hands now :wink:. my superb-motorskill ds2 is however training my running stamina. if both dss are to fall backwards, ds2 knows how to lift his head up to prevent injury, but ds1 did not have the same reflexes. some people said motorskills can be honed and that the more the kid fall the better he will be able to preempt the next fall - i'm not sure how true is that, but i do 'let' ds2 fall under 'controlled' condition. but at age 16mths, as the kid is still learning how to walk, i guess the best bet is still to hold the hand firmly during outing.
JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 am

thanks jedamum for sharing. well, he didn't had concussion after falling into the drain, but was crying loud (usually happened), after that, he seems ok. playing,etc.
but I thought the drain is concrete, so may be very hard, compared to our 'softer' parquet floor.

you are right, I will definitely hold his hand next time gg out with him. can't afford to keep letting him fall down. we never know. :pray:

I read the link that you provided:

"Common symptoms in concussed children include restlessness, lethargy, and irritability."

he does display such symptoms leh...should i be worry??but he has such behaviours even if he doesn't had a fall before. but because he falls down very frequently, so I dunno if the behaviour is developed after he has frequent falling down episodes, or because he is naturally like this?? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EstherTan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm

hi smurf...

Maybe you can consider bringing your son for a check up by a PD. I think they would be quite equipped to help evaluate the situation for you.

EstherTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:14 pm

If he falls or knock into things very frequently, do bring him for a checkup. It could be a problem with his eyesight or sometimes, ear infections can lead to a poor sense of balance.

Or he could just simply be a very exploratory kid who gets himself into such situations. Some kids at this age really know no fear.

But still better to rule out any physiological problems or if there are any, you can start tackling it early.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kaydenbrown » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:00 am

I would suggest putting a leash on your child. In UK, I've seen many parents who do that for their hyperactive kids.

Also, you could trying fitting a helmet, those with really soft padding underneath the helmet.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:17 am

put leash while at home?? that would restrict his movement. helmet doesn't work also as he wil be cryng to take off. and he can cry for hrs.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaydenbrown » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Oh, I thought it was for outside, not for at home.

If you try to soften all the corners at home or put more cushion or padding everywhere, you could prevent any accidents from happening.

That was what my mum did for me when I was very young. I ended up bouncing around my room as it was made just like a big soft sumo ring. :D

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am

hmm...are you residng in USA or UK? cos you sound like you do. :D

it's quite difficult to cushion the corners cos the florring is made of marble...the only way and only place i can put him is inside a play yard with bumper mat inside, but thing is, he doesn't like to stay inside and would cry to come out. :stupid:

your idea of cushioning a room is great,but only if one has an empty room.haha. :D

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sysherlene » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi, just to share some of my experience.

My boy is very active as a baby, especially after he acquired his crawling skills at about 4 mths old. Being too playful is one of the contributing factors that he will hit his forehead & having balukus at least on average 3 times per week. That's why I stop putting him to sleep on the bed and let him sleep on mattress, as my fear is that he will roll off the bed during his sleep. And I actually pushed all my furniture to the sides of my living room, leaving an empty space for him to move around, and at the same time reduced his "HIT" rate.

As for the balukus, haha... my mom had a very old & dirty method, but I must say it's quite effective....Use an old shoe to pressed on the affected area, and I must say the size of the baluku will be tremedously reduced. But have to do it immediately when u see it appearing, or else will not work.

sysherlene
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Health